Monday, July 26, 2010

Mozying Down the Trail

There is nothing quite like a walk in the woods, I'm convinced.  We got to go on another hike this morning.  My mother came along with us this time, which was a little challenging because Marge and I practically power walk, while my mom and sister wanted to walk slowly and look at everything around them.  We did hear some construction noises which slightly bothered Marge, but I don't think it ruined our outing completely.


My sister spotted this guy sunning himself at one of the ponds.  Marge actually did a fair bit of wading, but I didn't snap any pictures.  She also threw up while there, perhaps from ingesting a bit of pond water (she's fine now).


Posing alongside the pond.  I can't wait to return to this spot in the fall, when vibrant shades of yellow, red, and orange frame this body of water.


There were many butterflies and moths around, too.  My sister waited patiently to get a perfect shot of this one that was hovering over swampland (Marge and I were not so patient, and wanted to continue!).  We also saw snakes, frogs, and a chipmunk.


We didn't walk too far, since my sister and mom felt hot.  Marge and I could have continued, but we'll be training later, anyway, so heading back early wasn't a big deal.

I snapped this shot right before we left.  Marge had just had a blast chasing my sister down the trail (on leash, of course.. did I mention that we met THREE rude hikers with offleash dogs?).  Shortly after, we left the park, just as an enormous group of camp kids were coming in.  Perfect timing.


Later, we'll be practicing some agility and rally before I teach class at the club.  But, for now, Marge got some more much-needed exercise!

22 comments:

Cyndi and Stumpy July 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

Stumpy is ready for a run, too. Laguna Beach is pretty dog friendly, as long as the dog is leashed.

Hey, how's Layla?

Rebecca July 26, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

Marge looks like she had fun - look at that smile! I dislike it when people who do not have control over their dogs let them run off leash. I hope you have a good agility practice later too!
Rebecca and Daisy Mae

The Army of Four July 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

Wowzers! What a cool place! I'd love to run and explore there! Mom wasn't keen on the s-n-a-k-e part, but the rest of it sounded ideal!
Play bows,
Zim
PS: I did get to meet some of the horses when I went back to the park with Mom! Tune in later this week to see them!!! They really liked me!

Bijou July 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

Hi Marge and Sam,

We agree walking in the woods is fun! My mom used to hike alot when she had big dogs. Me and Banjo have only been on one hike, though she takes us to the park, it's not the same. There's something magical about following a new trail. Discovering what is around the next curve or over the next hill is exciting.

Waggles,
Bijou

the teacher's pets July 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

I agree that it is difficult to walk with slow paced walkers especially when us power walkers are concerned. I've found that the more I walk our coonhound and the more I walk other pet sitting dogs the pace of my walks have been startling (but in a good way). In fact, I walk so fast that I forget to slow down while walking through stores!
Loved your pictures! You must have a very nice camera!

Maggie Mae and Max July 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM  

Those are very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing your walk with all of us. :)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

An English Shepherd July 26, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

Nice trail :-)

Wizz

Chris and Ricky July 26, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

Another nice hike! The butterfly (a black swallowtail, I think) is beautiful and your sister got a good photo!

houndstooth July 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

Our girls have cabin fever something terrible! I hope the heat lets up enough for us to walk tonight, because we all sure need it! Marge looks in her element out there!

AC July 26, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

Looks like you guys had a good hike, even with a few scary/rude things along the way.

I can't wait to see your fall colors! I enjoy seeing a specific spot change with the seasons. I enjoy that even with our lack of seasons out here, so I bet it's amazing to see fall come where you are.

LauraK July 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM  

What a fun day- I'm definitely looking forward to the fall picture by the lake. We don't really have color changes where we live, so I have to enjoy it through other people's pictures :) I'm sure it's going to be gorgeous!

Have fun teaching class and practicing with Marge!

Lorenza July 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

Sure you all had a nice walkie!
Snakes, frogs and chipmunk included!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Kathy Mocharnuk July 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM  

Sounds like a nice walk and good timing leaving as those kids were all coming. It looks like a beautiful trail. Have fun with your class~

Sara July 27, 2010 at 7:50 AM  

Oh, I don't have a lot of patience for, what I call "mall walkers". I feel you must always walk with a purpose, even if you don't really have one. LOL.

Looks like a great time! I'm sure Marge doesn't care what the pace is.

KB July 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM  

You sister did get a beautiful butterfly photo!

Marge looks happy and alert. Isn't it funny how many people think that leash rules don't apply to them? When we've hiked in leash-required areas later, other hikers heading down from peaks have told us "there are no rangers up there, you can let your dogs go". Huh, I think. There might be people and dogs who don't like wild off-leash dogs... Oh well.

I hope that you and Marge get out for more relaxing hikes, with lots of wading thrown in. I remember that pond from photos last fall - it is gorgeous then, although I'm not ready for fall yet.

andrea July 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

lovely walk :)
nice company and lots to see - the gang and I would have liked it too :)

Golden Daily Scoop July 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

What a beautiful walk, Sam! You are one handsome pup!!!

Diana July 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

Love the butterfly picture, it was worth the wait. Looks like a lovely place to walk. Diana

Anonymous July 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

What a great place for a hike! I would have gone swimming in the muck pond with you Marge :)

The also power walker,
Roo

Life With Dogs July 28, 2010 at 12:10 AM  

I haven't had a chance to get out at all lately - just too much work. So I'm living vicariously through you! :)

Donna July 28, 2010 at 1:32 AM  

What beautiful pictures! :)

Kari in Alaska July 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM  

Marge looks happy but I understand about hiking at different paces. The hubs and I are big hikers so its a change when we have newbies with us!

Don't forget! We've moved to dogisgodinreverse.com

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP