Friday, September 10, 2010

Getting Ready for the Ring Again

I'm not going to be able to make it to agility class next week, so this Tuesday was our last chance to practice with instruction before our trial on September 18 and 19.


I ran two courses - one during class, one during a short lesson that I had with Marisa after class.

Course 1 (White Circle Numbers)
I led out past 2, called her and pushed her through the last two jumps of the serpentine.  Straightforward from there, 'til a rear cross over 7 to get her up the A-Frame.  Then a front cross in front of the A-Frame, dog on right through the weaves, rear cross over 12 to the table.

Led out halfway from the table and did a moving front cross between 14 and 15.  Dog on left to start the serpentine, then a front cross on the landing side of 19 and dog on right 'til the end.

Fun course.  I didn't run in to much trouble at all. Marge goofed off a bit on the hard rear cross to the table, and had a little bit of weave issues (but it's really a horrible set of poles - I almost want to stop training weave poles until my club gets a better set - preferably, a 24" set).

Course 2 (Black Circle Numbers)
 Led out past 2 and pushed out over 3.  Front cross between 4 and 5.  Rear cross over 7.  We ran in to some trouble on the teeter/A-Frame thing .. I was pushing her too far out and she took the tunnel.  She was starting to stress about doing the teeter a million times, so Marisa told me to move on from there.

Back cross to the table, dog on left in to weaves.  She took the 15 tunnel without a problem, to my surprise.  Had to push push push to get her over 16, and I'm pretty sure she stayed on my right through the end.

This was definitely a tougher course.  But, with the exception of my miscommunication with Marge at the tunnel, we did well.

Marisa says she looked great and that we really had nothing else to work on after running these two courses.  I tried to hang out with Marge while she ran her own dog, but Marge heard some noise in the distance that freaked her out, so I put her in the car and smooched on some adorable GSD puppies instead.

------------------------------------------------------

I'm excited and nervous for this upcoming trial.  I'm excited that we're finally getting back in the ring, excited that there's a very good chance that Marge will finish her OA title.  I'm nervous because it's a new trial site, that, as far as I know, has never been used for a dog show before.  It's a park near the water, so I guess my biggest concern is boats making noise or something like that.  Oh well - I guess I'll go in to it with the same mindset that I have for my last trials.  Hope for the best, pull Marge out if something doesn't seem right.  Usually, the sounds and sights and smells of the trial block out everything else, so this likely won't be any different.. at least I hope it won't.

We'll have several of our friends and former classmates either tenting with us or next to us, which is a comfort to me, and I think to Marge, too.

We're at a really good place in terms of agility, and we'll spend the next three months trialing in the cool weather.  If not for school, this would definitely be my favorite time of year.

Taken May 2010; never posted it!

15 comments:

houndstooth September 10, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

She looks good going through her paces!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! September 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM  

Best of luck going forward!

The weather is sooooo GREAT!

That last picture is fantastic!

Amy / Layla the Malamute September 10, 2010 at 11:40 PM  

Good Luck!!!

The courses look fun. Isn't it nice having a dog who likes rear crosses?

I'm mad we won't be there - or at Bayshore. I can't wait to read about how she does. You guys'll have your MX and MXJ before we get our NA!

Great picture - I noticed something watching her videos. Your handling is damn good. Looking at my videos, I'm ashamed at how I handle her. Honestly. I watched them and thought, do I REALLY look that bad? Seriously? But you look very natural, like she's your 6th dog.

Like I said on Facebook, if you guys pass the Sewaren Deli, get breakfast sandwiches. They're great.

Wyatt September 11, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

Best of luck to you Marge!
I am a beginning agility dog. We just have lots of fun. I will probably never compete. I do love the dog walk and the A-frame. I tend to do a little Airedale Freestyle....hehe

Wyatt

Sara September 11, 2010 at 6:39 AM  

I wish there were more fall trials around here. The weather seems perfect right now.

I'm sure Marge is going to do great!

Diana September 11, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

I love the picture!! Diana

andrea September 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM  

I so agree with you about fall being the best (except school!)

I'm glad your head is in a pretty good place for trials - it really does seem like you are both in the right place to get going again - have fun and I can't wait to read about it :)

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ September 11, 2010 at 9:26 AM  

Lots of luck from all of us in that upcoming trial. We are sure Marge won't disappoint you.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Kari in Alaska September 11, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

That photo is amazing. I find it both assuring and nerve wracking whenever someone tells me I have nothing else to work on. I am sure you will both do great and have fun.


-Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

KB September 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

You two have come SO far. I hope that your trial is awesome - but what I like best is your great attitude about competitions. You focus on keeping Marge in her comfort zone and having her do her best rather than win, win, win at all costs.

I'm glad to be back reading your updates!

Kathy Mocharnuk September 11, 2010 at 8:35 PM  

WHOO HOOOO!!!! Good luck next weekend, you guys will do great. LOVE the picture, its fantastic.

AC September 11, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

Can't wait to hear about the trial. I know Marge will be amazing because you're always in there for her.

That last picture is fantastic!

NCmountainwoman September 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

I am so impressed with how far along you have brought Marge. You have worked hard and have done an outstanding job. Good luck!

Unknown September 12, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

Good luck!!! That's purely for your benefit, though. Marge doesn't need luck because she's AMAZING! And that pic is awesome!

Lorenza September 12, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

I know you two are going to do it pawesome!
Good luck!
Yes! I love that picture too!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP