Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Good Girl


It's times like these that I thank my lucky stars for having such a good dog.

Marge has truly been angelic through all of the stress and busyness I've been up against the past few weeks.  She's really matured a lot lately, it seems. I've been doing my best to keep up with her walks, training sessions, etc., but I know that I am skipping some here and there.  Yet, she's being a good girl, sleeping at night and and staying quiet throughout the day save for an occasional poke on the nose to remind me that I need to do some fun things with her.

She's actually had a fair bit of new and exciting things going on.. I just haven't had the time to write about them because of my cat, and class, and pigeon lab research, and and and.

She has been a demo dog two weeks in a row now in the Agility For Fun class I teach.  She demonstrated "roll over" to the students with no reservation - a big deal, considering that meant lying down and flipping on her belly while surrounded by many strange dogs and people.  She also made fast friends with a disabled boy (to my absolute surprise and delight - we all know Marge is a bit sensitive to those who walk, talk or act differently than she is immediately used to). He called her "really cool," petted her and asked her to perform some tricks, and said he wanted to try running agility with her. She got a little barky during one class when some dogs got the zoomies, but nothing unbearable.  And, she stuck right next to me while off leash at the end of class, despite the other dogs/people milling around.

She has also made quite a few new dog friends... the newest being a young Cairn Terrier I am walking and feeding while his owner is away this week. She's gone walking with him two days in a row now, and I'm hoping that I might be able to let them have a little playdate together soon.

We've been doing a bit of agility as well.  We had class Sunday night, as well as a practice session out in New Jersey that same morning.  Really don't have any complaints.. the biggest things that stick out in my mind are our good but not great contacts (simply haven't practiced them enough) and a bit of start line stress. I'm trying my hardest to prepare her for our big day at Dream Park next weekend - our 2011 agility debut.

I'm not quite sure when this grueling pace is going to let up.  In the meantime, I'm doing my best to split myself in as many ways as I can.  Some would probably say I should give up the blog for now - but I am proud of what MargeBlog has become and know that putting it on hold would likely bring it to an end.  So,  I'm continuing to update, despite the chaos! Please forgive me if my visits continue to be on the erratic/sporadic side.  Once I get my kitty better, I think I'll be able to devote more time to reading.

16 comments:

Sara February 17, 2011 at 6:14 AM  

Sometimes downtime can be really good for a dog who tends to stress. I find Oreo tends to make greater strides when he's had a lot of time to rest.

I hope Layla is doing ok. And I LOVE that photo of Marge!

Kristine February 17, 2011 at 7:17 AM  

You know, we didn't do any training over the Christmas break. Nothing for two weeks, just a lot of fun and relaxation. But when we went back to work in January, Shiva was better, more focused than she had ever been before. I think that time was really needed. It may be the same for Marge.

Good luck with your debut! I hope everything with your kitty will be okay.

Chris and Ricky February 17, 2011 at 7:25 AM  

Marge is such a good girl and it's nice to hear that she has been doing so well in previously stressful conditions!

Take care and hang in there - less chaotic times are coming!

Diana February 17, 2011 at 7:35 AM  

Sounds like things are going well, but busy. Have fun and only do the stuff you enjoy!

Fred February 17, 2011 at 9:12 AM  

I can always tell when Old Girl is stressed, and I make sure to be on my best behavior then. It's a talent we all have, I think. And by "we," I mean pups...not people, of course. You guys don't know anything! ;P jk!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ February 17, 2011 at 9:39 AM  

With all the busyness in your life these days, it must be so refreshing and rewarding to see these positives in Marge. Give her lots of snooter smoochies from all of us.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Kathy Mocharnuk February 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM  

Glad Marge is making sure you are spending some time doing agility or just spending a few min with her ;-), she sounds like she is doing marvelously!

Cyndi and Stumpy February 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM  

I can't say I am surprise marge is handling the stress and your busy-ness well. To look at Stumpy now, you would never guess that she is a reactive, fearful dog and always will be. It just takes the wrong set of circumstances to bring it out. She's not looking for things to make her crazy!

I hope Layla is continue to feel better!

Happy tails,FUREVER!
Stumpy and her hoo-bean

Sue February 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM  

It sounds like the Good Dog Fairy made a stop in New York recently.
Fudge, Morgan, Tsar and the rest of the Porties

Anna the GSD February 17, 2011 at 11:49 AM  

Sometimes us dogs will suprise you when you least expect it, but need it! Go Marge!

Take your time, we understand you can't read everything, but we still enjoy keeping up with you!

Kari in Alaska February 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM  

I love that dogs seem to know when you just need them to be a bit stronger and more stoic that normal because you need a (furry) shoulder to lean on.

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Cinnamon and Mint February 18, 2011 at 5:59 AM  

Marge is a good girl unlike me who was edgy and barked at other dogs a lot when Mum was very busy and stressed a while ago. Now I feel calmer as Mum looks happier.

KB February 18, 2011 at 11:39 PM  

Isn't it wonderful when you see the product of your hard work and Marge growing up? I'm so glad that she's being so easy-going for you. That's wonderful.

Kirby, CGC February 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM  

I think Marge knows how good she has it with you. You have given her an AWESOME second chance at life. Not too many people would even attempt agility with a dog like Marge, (your blog gives me confidence to try rally with Kirby). Don't be too hard on yourself, if Marge is doing good then don't worry, it doesn't sound like she's really having a problem with your busyness. She is so lucky to have you!

Kirby's mom

Lorenza February 19, 2011 at 10:01 PM  

I am sure Marge understands all the things happening around your house and she sure has been patient!
I am happy to know how good she did on the Agility for fun class!
I hope everything goes well at home and that Layla is doing better!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Lavinia February 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM  

Hope your kitty will get well soon.

Marge is a really good girl, you're right to be proud of her. Tell me your secret :D And don't worry about the sporadic updates, if I have time, I try to check everyone's updates, even if their blog has looked deserted lately.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP