Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Devil Within (My 4-Inch Cyst)

I am possessed.


I have a mass in my abdominal cavity the size of a grapefruit.

"Lucifer," as I have been not-so-affectionately calling this beast, was discovered on an ultrasound less than two weeks ago.  I had some acute pain in December and, although the pain never resurfaced, I wanted to get things checked out before I went back to school.

And it's a good thing I did.

After the ultrasound came a whirlwind of doctor visits that landed me in record-breaking time at my grandmother's surgeon. He, although probably over-qualified as a top-notch gynecological oncologist to address what I have, graciously agreed to see me and will be removing the mass on Friday.

Surgery?  SURGERY? Ensue panic.  I've only had surgery once, and it was to remove a superficial-but-large mole from my back.  I've had general anesthesia, but I've never been through the whole true surgical process and I am scared silly.

It is most likely a very large ovarian cyst.  There is no current worry about it being anything more serious than that.  However, it is so large that the ultrasound could not detect exactly where it is coming from.  Rather than put me through more testing, which may or may not be conclusive, the surgeon is going to figure out what it is while he's in there (via a diagnostic laparosopy). The surgeon is ridiculously confident that it can, in fact, be removed laparoscopically and that I will be able to go home the same day.  I like his attitude and hope that he is right.

Really glad that he took me - I only want the best.  I know THREE women who had their reproductive organs taken out by him, which makes me feel better, since 1) they lived to tell about it and 2) this is hopefully just a stinkin' cyst.

Though I didn't have pain all along, I now have bouts of dull pain that comes and goes, a slightly swollen belly, and tons of general discomfort (some of it real, some of it psychosomatic, I'm sure).  I'm living in sweatpants. I haven't worn jeans in a week.

I cannot WAIT for this to be over.

It has messed up school (since you have to bend and twist and do all kinds of physical work in Physical Therapy school), riding (I'm not allowed to ride until something like a month after it's gone), and agility (I'm not allowed to run, either).

It's a huge bummer.

Anyway, I just thought I should post about this.  I'd much rather be posting about the Fearful Dog Seminar that I taught, but I reckon I'll have lots of time for that while I recover.

Just spare a good thought my way around 9:30 on Friday morning, when I'll be rolling in to the OR for my exorcism.

10 comments:

KB February 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM  

I bet that it'll be a breeze, Sam. I've been in your shoes, and the laparascopic surgery was much easier than expected. I hope that it is all over super soon so that you can get back to the things that you love!

BTW, it's sort of a secret (I'm not blogging about it yet due to some issues with her former owner), but Shyla is being laparoscopically spayed on Monday. You and she will have something in common. Shyla gets to come home later the same day.

I can't wait to hear about your fearful dog seminar. I am now in your world, as I try to help Shyla learn not to be scared of so many things... It's an up and down path.

Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Muttsandaklutz February 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM  

Oh jeez! Not glad that you have this cyst, but glad that it was caught and will soon be out of the picture. I had jaw surgery about 15 years ago, general anaesthetic and all... not exactly fun, but modern medicine is an amazing thing and it sounds like you are in the best hands.

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart February 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM  

Yeow. I'm sorry to hear the news, but I'm glad you can get it taken care of so quickly. Sending all our best surgery mojo to you.

Chris and Ricky February 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM  

Sorry about this Sam - I know you will be fine! A friend of mine had the same surgery and it went very well. I will send tons of good thoughts your way on Friday!

Sue February 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM  

We have fingers and paws crossed here and we have a lot of them. You'll breeze thru and have lots of stories to tell us.
Sue and the Pack

Jo's World February 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM  

I have had a hysterectomy, hernia repair, knee replacement, and cysts remove from my back. And I'm here to tell the story! You will be just fine, Sam, go in to the hospital unworried and carefree, knowing the staff wants the best for you. I am so glad you got yourself a topnotch Doc or your Grandma did for you. When you come out, you can tell us endless tales of your surgery (or what you can remember anyway!)

all kinds of good wishes from,
Jo, Stella and Zkhat

Diana February 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM  

Good luck. I'll be thinking of you.

Wyatt February 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM  

Good wishes for a most speedy recovery. More time to catch up on reading, indoor hobbies...blogging!

Wyatt and Mom

Kathy Mocharnuk February 6, 2013 at 8:47 AM  

I just saw this, and boy what a scare, but glad you are in good hands and it was hopefully taken care of!!!!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP