Friday, August 16, 2013

Two Torturous Weeks

We're a couple of days in to this now, and Marge seems to be dealing pretty well so far with her limited activity protocol.  She is spending lots of time in her crate by choice.  I think she's actually enjoying having it up on the main floor.  When not in her crate, she mills around the house pretty calmly. She is on a muscle relaxer called Robaxin, which may be helping our cause, as sedation is a possible side effect of the drug.  Still, I wonder if after a week or so, she'll start getting stir crazy!

I, on the other hand, am not dealing with the situation as well as my dog is.  I am really missing her! The weather has been so beautiful the past couple of days and it plain old sucks that I can't take her for some long walks.  I'm trying to make sure that I spend other types of quality time with her instead, like sitting outside with her or brushing her.  We also practiced "watch me" and "touch" today, since they are two behaviors that don't really require any physical movement.

I also worry about how much deconditioning will take place over the next two weeks - muscles very quickly begin to atrophy when not being used, and thought two weeks isn't an extremely long time, I still think it's significant.

My final worry is how well my family will continue to adhere to our protocol.  My dad took Marge for a short walk today, and though it was only a short walk (within our time limits), I can't really know for sure how fast or slow he had her walk.

As you can tell, I'm worried all around, as I tend to be with anything involving my dog! The next two weeks cannot go by fast enough.

In the meantime, here is a picture of Marge and Arrow sitting by the cornfields in Quakertown, PA last weekend.  Hopefully I'll get a chance soon to write about what may have been Marge's final agility weekend for a little while.


4 comments:

Amy / Layla the Malamute August 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM  

I hope the time goes by quickly for you!

Now you've got me worried about muscle atrophication and Layla :( So I have to get me back in shape and now her up to speed too!

Kari in Alaska August 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM  

Sounds like she is dealing better than Mesa is!

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

KB August 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM  

I have an idea for your 2 torturous weeks - How about trying to teach Marge the names of objects? Some dogs know many (thousands) of words. It might be a fun new project for you two.

I wouldn't worry about the deconditioning based on my experiences with resting my dogs. Also, I have to say that the most surprising thing in this post was that your dad took Marge for a walk! I remember when the two of them had a few "issues". Yay for big progress!

Dawn August 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM  

Guess I better go read what's been going on! Hope the 2 weeks go by quickly!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP