Sunday, July 24, 2022

Still Around


Howdy. It's been like three years since I've written on here. I can't even access the Photobucket account associated with it, despite multiple attempts.


Lately, a wave of nostalgia has hit me, I read through all my posts, and there's a little itty bitty piece of me thinking of reviving this blog. I found it strangely comforting to read through all of our old adventures and see pictures from so many years ago.



Marge is 15 years old. She retired from Rally Obedience last year, after earning her AKC Rally Championship.  We stopped doing agility a year or two before that. She had earned her MACH2 a few years back. In Obedience, she earned her CDX title. We tried to keep going in Nosework, but she doesn't seem to really want to do it any more.



Marge's golden years have truly been golden, filled with lots of hikes (including 4 trips to Acadia National Park, one about two months ago) and cheerleading Red as his dog-sport career has gotten into full swing.  She's slowing down a bit, now, though these ridiculous and excessive temperatures aren't helping.



I know that I am entering a new phase of Marge's life where she is becoming an old dog.  I don't think she's going anywhere just yet, but I do know she physically and mentally can't do what she used to do any more. Often, this means making the choice between changing my plans, leaving her behind, or taking the dogs on separate adventures on the same day. It's tough. 



Yesterday I didn't have to make that decision, the weather made it for me. The whole fam went out for a stroll along the river, wading around and not really hiking very far due to the heat. 



For some reason, I love this blooper I took on my camera.

I am acutely aware of how lucky I am that it took until age 15 to reach this stage where we have to go a little slower.  That's one and a half, even two lifetimes' worth of living for some dogs. But I am still having trouble with it.



I don't know what my point in writing this is, but I guess in and of itself is the point of writing, isn't it? 



Maybe you'll hear from me again soon, maybe you won't. Today, I felt like writing. 



I hope, even if she's now old, that her relative good health and mobility continue and she can continue making memories with me.



Even if they're a little different than before.

1 comments:

Sue July 25, 2022 at 2:48 PM  

It's hard to imagine Marge at 15. She'll always be that pup to me. My waterdogs are all gone now and I have just two little hounds that are getting old, too. You have given Marge a wonderful life full of adventure.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP