Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pooped


Just a quick post here. Marge had awful diarrhea the entire day yesterday (of course, on the day when I happen to be at college from 10AM-6PM). We're still not sure what caused it.. I did have agility the night before and sometimes too many treats can mess with her stomach, but nothing like this. My mom called the vet and went to pick up metronidazole for her to take, and she was told that Marge was only to eat boiled chicken and rice.

The squirts stopped as soon as she took the pill last night, and she hasn't pooped since. I stayed up all night with her, letting her out every 2 hours.. but she has not gone. I know it might take a little while for her to go after emptying out yesterday, but she's eaten a good amount now and hasn't gone in over 24 hours.

She's been acting fine up until now. The past couple of hours she seems a little restless.. whether she is bored from not doing anything or feeling ouchy, I'm not sure. Her appetite is good, water intake is down but I'm trying. We went on a nice walk in the field, and I thought that'd kick things into gear, but apparently not. It seems like she wants to go outside and potty, but can't do anything, though she isn't actually trying. The vet office said that if she doesn't go by tomorrow, I should call them back and we'll go from there.

So here's hoping for pooch poop by tomorrow... I admit, my background with horses leaves me a little more worried about this than I probably should be. Colic still haunts me after all these years, I guess.. not to mention, the fact that I just hate to see my girl not feeling well.

14 comments:

Carolyn September 11, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

Hey Sam,

In my experience, metronidazole can "dry things" out a bit, especially combined with a rice diet. That rice moves s l o w l y after everything else has been emptied out.

My old dog, Kesey, had serious tummy problems all his life. I always added 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to his chicken & rice when he had to do "that diet". Talk to your vet about about it, of course.

I grew up riding and totally understand your colic fear. When Kesey had an upset belly I always checked for "gut sounds" by lying my head on his stomach area. Of course, it made me feel better hearing his tummy churning, but I think it also made him feel better with me that close to him. :)

Hang in there.

-C

Kathy Mocharnuk September 11, 2009 at 3:59 AM  

OOOH Marge I hope everything gets straightened out very soon. I hate seeing my fur babies not feeling well, it is always scary and frustrating. Take care and hope tomorrow is much better!

Martha September 11, 2009 at 6:08 AM  

We do hope Marge feels better soon - not nice!
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

Dexter September 11, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

I, myself, have a most delicate stomach which requires the medicines sometimes. Fear not, the poop is on its way. Besides, the chicken and rice sickie food is most yummers.

Slobbers,
Mango

P.S. Pee-Wee started his attention school. I don't know what they do there, but they sure wear the little guy out.

Cinnamon and Mint September 11, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

We hope Marge recovers really soon. If she has a good appetite, she should be fine.

BRUTUS September 11, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

Sorry to hear that Marge is under the weather! It took us ages to get his poop scenario figured out after we brought him home. From that I know that after a good bout of diarrhea, it can be up to 48 hours to produce poop again. I had horses too, so I can sympathize with colic-panic!

Michelle

Anna the GSD September 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

Marge I hope you feel better! But you can milk it for all it's worth...just don't worry your mom too much, k?

Sue September 11, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

It can sometimes take a couple days to get back to normal after an episode like that. Don't worry too much.

The Army of Four September 11, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

I sure hope Marge feels better soon!
I frequently go on Siberian self-imposed hunger strikes, do a big pooper, and vomit (not necessarily in that order) then don't poop afterwards for over 24 hours. We understand your concern, but hang in there. Gentle exercise, eating and drinking, and time will help! Try not to worry!
Love,
Ammy

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart September 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

It's been a summer of tummy troubles around here. Our vet told us to give Pepcid AC (we had been giving pepto, until we found out the aspirin in it can be an issue). So, I add rice to regular meals, with a Pepcid twice a day, and most often, it works itself out.

Rufus and Indie September 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

Oh no! So sorry about that! We hpoe the rice helps!
Get well soon!
Lots of Kisses
Rufus and Indie

Bijou September 11, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

Hi Marge,

I hope you are feeling better and everything works out soon. Mom sometimes calls Banjo, 'squirt'. Does that mean he is the shits!?! BOL

Wags & wiggles
Bijou

Scout and Freyja September 13, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

Isn't it amazing how much poop takes over our lives when we have children or pets? Is it soft or hard or runny or slimy or gooey or just right!

Astrid Keel September 14, 2009 at 5:57 PM  

Marge, I hope you feel better asap... I have also hear that the mediawhatever dries things up.

Hugs to both of you!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP