Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cuddlebugs and Agility Notes

I took these shots of the furry little beasts yesterday. They're always so comical with each other.

I'd be lost without these two.  They offer me something totally different in my individual relationships with them.  


On another note, I didn't get in an agility update yesterday, so here's the (silent) video from last night's class:


We ran better than I could have ever imagined. I was all set to water down this course for Marge and make it easier, but, despite the horrible opening sequence (that A-Frame is soooo tempting) she really did fine. She's starting to learn to watch where I am and come into my hand rather than to just take the nearest contact obstacle.

She wasn't super speedy, but she doesn't look stressed. I prefer her to go at a pace like this, anyway, because she gets out of control when she's super fast, which leads to having to do things over, which leads to more stress. At this pace, she's loping along, picks it up down the line of jumps on the right hand side, but is obviously paying attention to me and where I am when the course gets tight.

We did have some weave issues, as you can see. We've been having them. Going to keep an eye on it. If it worsens, we might be off to the vet to make sure there are no underlying injuries, though I doubt it. The poles didn't seem "right" to me, either.. I'm thinking maybe they were not correctly aligned or something. She's not the only one who flubbed them.

She was uncharacteristically happy at class. Everyone was her friend. Well, except for when one of the male significant others of a handler stood up. Marge loved him when he was sitting down, but got a little nervous when he was tall. So, that was my cue to take the pressure off of her and move her to somewhere she could feel more comfortable.

Next week is our last class outdoors at the field. The winter session will start in December, but I'm still undecided about it. My class is sandwiched in between two other classes, which means that there will be dogs coming and going. Plus, since the classes are destined to not be made up of the same dogs (most people in my class can't attend, with the exception of the lovely Viszla boy) I don't know who or what I'm going to be seeing. To make matters worse, I won't have anyone to come along with me to hang on to Marge when I have to work on handling by myself - though I anticipate less of that happening, since we probably won't be doing big long sequences.

The one saving grace is that the class is on a Monday afternoon, which means that a lot of people will be working.

I have a few days to think about it, so I guess I'll just have to mull it over long and hard and decide what I think is best.

28 comments:

Deborah November 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

Marge loods good to me in the video! I love the way cats and dog get along! They look like best friends!

Frankie Furter and Ernie November 11, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Marge seems to really LIKE that non-K-9. hehehe
I really enjoyed the video today. Nice work. You are truly dedicated to Marge. She is so lucky

Gus, Louie and Callie November 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM  

It looks like you did an awesome job to us..
You and your kitty friend look so sweet together. We chase ours..


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

KB November 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

I love the photos of your two buddies!

In the video, I thought that Marge looked the best that I've seen. She was so reponsive to you - looking to you at every decision point.

It was hard to see what was happening with the weave poles... I've found with K that a quick 'ooops' at the instant that she makes her weave pole mistake goes a long way. It seems that she has figured out that I'm timing the 'oops' exactly to her mistake and fixes it next time through. The downside is that some dogs might get stressed out by that. I was surprised that K didn't.

All I can say is 'wow' - you and Marge really look like a well-oiled team!

Astrid Keel November 11, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

marge and kittie look so cute together!
xoxo
brownie

StellaStar November 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

aDORable! I love the second picture from the top!!!

Cyndi and Stumpy November 11, 2009 at 7:52 PM  

awwww CUUUUUTE!!!

I vote you and Marge "audit" the winter class. You get out to meet new poeple,dogs and ideas, no pressure on Marg, when you want. It's winter. Half the time you are not going to want to go...it's too cold, or icy or whatever!

Golden Samantha November 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

LOVE the Marge and kitty pix! Oh how sweet they are! And the agility is so amazing - Marge looks great to me - what timing and attention! I've never done agil. but Marge... you look pawesome!
Hugs xo
Sammie

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart November 11, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

I'm trying to catch up. Sorry about Louie's loss. Please pass along our hugs.

And, is your kitty quite small? Maybe it's just cuz Marge isn't tiny, but in those sweet shots of the 2 of them snoozing, the kitty looks really little to me.

You guys are kicking monster butt on the agility course. Congrats!

Kathy Mocharnuk November 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

You guys are looking great, I notice that it seems like Marge is more comfy working a little further away and I saw you sliding over laterally for a front cross, that was BEAUTIFUL, Marge looks like she is getting more confident in the obstacles all the time, whoo hoooooo, that was fun to watch!

BRUTUS November 11, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

Not speedy?? Are you kidding - I'd kill for that speed!!

I think you should go for the Monday class. Consider it a chance to practice with distractions! Gonna happen at the trials, so might as well do it before then!

You are both looking great, BTW!!

Michelle & Brutus

PoochesForPeace November 11, 2009 at 11:52 PM  

I looovvvee those pics!! They look so cute next to each other :)

Kate November 12, 2009 at 3:41 AM  

Can I snuggle with you too? It looks very squishy and cosy!!!

Unknown November 12, 2009 at 4:05 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shadowsky November 12, 2009 at 4:08 AM  

Aww, Marge looked like she was tattling on the kitty in that second photo!

Marge looks great in the vid! I can't believe you're saying that's not super speedy, she looks pretty fast to me! I wish I could get into agility with Jake, but I don't know how he'd do with the other dogs. So I enjoy watching other people's videos!

Also- initially posted this on the wrong email, sorry.

Martha November 12, 2009 at 5:07 AM  

Absolutely adorable pics - we love dogs and cats getting along!
Well done to Marge - we are always so impressed by the agility videos.
We think you need to have a basset for a week then you will see how super speedy Marge is!
xxx

Dexter November 12, 2009 at 6:13 AM  

Those weave pole things are hard.

I am most envious that you have a pal to snuggle with. My stupid brother is not a suitable snuggle buddy.

Slobbers,
Mango

Zan November 12, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! You and Marge look great in the video.

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly November 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Those pictures make me wanna go cuddle!

Woofs and Kisses!

Ruby and Penny November 12, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

It's so nice to see Marge & the kitty sleeping so close. My 2 cats scatter when the dogs are near.
Love Ruby & Penny

Sara November 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

You have outdoor lights at your agility field! I'm jealous!

I think you two looked great. Marge was very attentive and looked like she was having fun.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! November 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

I'm not sure that is my kind of khuddlebug!

Tank woo fur sharing the video!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

The Army of Four November 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

MARGE! You have a cat!!??! I never knew that! That is SO COOL! I'd love to have a kit-cat pal of my own!
Play bows,
Zim

Golden Woofs! SUGAR November 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM  

Woof! Like the first photo. You are good in agility. I don't missed my agility runs. Just happy taking long walks/runs. Happy Friday!Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Cinnamon and Mint November 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

I like the last photo with the cat! Especially love their eye expressions.

Jules November 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

Adorable pics of the fur kids!

Kari in Alaska November 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

those cuddle pictures are adorable!

Ice Pony Girl November 15, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

such a pretty dog.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP