Sunday, February 14, 2010

Friends and Valentines

It seems that Marge has an admirer here in blog land. When I checked my e-mail, I saw that Fudge decided to send her a Valentine's card.



Fudge, the answer is a resounding yes! After making friends with a PWD in our agility class this past fall, I think she has fallen for your breed. She would love to be your Valentine. Here's to lots of Rally Qs for both of you this year!

--------------------------

We spend two hours of our Valentine's Day training with a friend and her Westie, who I'll call S. Marge has been in classes on and off with S for almost a year and has always gotten along with her. S is about to debut in a Rally trial next month, so her mom wants to get some extra practice in. Since training can get kind of boring alone, we buddied up and ran together this afternoon.

We spent a good while on Rally, setting up one course, running it a few times, and then modifying it. Both dogs did great! I pretended to be the judge so that S could get used to someone else being in the ring while she works, and she did wonderfully. I bet she's going to qualify at her trial next month.

While I "judged," Marge held a several minutes long down-stay. I was very proud of her. I tried a sit stay as well, but she began to squirm around so I had to go back and remind her what to do.

When it was my turn to run, S's owner did a little bit of pretend judging for me. Marge had the added distraction of S in her owner's arms, as the little pup didn't want to be left alone on the other side of the room. She eyed them a few times, but never got really stressy. Her Rally was good, as usual. S's owner even commented that she had a "happy tail" the whole time.

After Rally, we put out some Agility equipment. Just a few jumps, a tunnel, weaves, a table and a teeter. I didn't really do much with Marge, as my course design skills stink and I didn't want to wear her out too much since we've got more training coming up tomorrow. We worked the teeter a bit. I think it was low, but she did well. Her weaves were amazing, and she was solid on the table.

I also took out the wicket (which looks like this). Something didn't seem right about it, though. I'm not sure if I set it up right, though it did look pretty self explanatory. Marge was a little better about it then I expected. I did some clicking with it at first to get her to go over to it. By the end of the session, she was holding the measuring piece on her back as she nibbled on a cookie in my hands. She was a little slouchy, but I don't think she was really scared of it; I think it was mostly just annoying her. When I go back tomorrow, I'm going to ask someone to set it up for me so that I can see if I'm doing it correctly.

The best part of our session is that Marge and S got along smashingly. They played chase with each other while we set the Rally course and were fine to be off leash around each other. Marge started to get snarky when S came too close to my bag of Zuke's treats, but that's not uncommon for her, and I know better next time. Over all, I'm glad that I've found a new buddy for Marge to play with. We're likely going to run some Rally together again next week! It's so much fun having someone else there and it's great for Marge to play and train with someone else.

21 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie February 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM  

HIP HIP HOOOORAY!! Marge has a fella!! I'm sooooo very much happy for YOU and Fudge. YEA!!!

Sue February 14, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

We just had a Valentine-Birthday party. Wish you could have been here to eat cupcakes with us.
Fudge

Martha February 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

Oh we are soooo excited to know that romance is in the air on Valentine's Day.
Fudge is quite a catch.
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

Bijou February 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

Hi Marge,

You and Fudge make a cute couple.
Happy Valentine's Day!

Waggles,
Bijou

houndstooth February 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

Happy Valentine's Day!

It sounds like Marge had a really good run through today!

Two French Bulldogs February 14, 2010 at 6:16 PM  

aaahhh...very cute!
Happy Valentine's Day
Benny & Lily

Cyndi and Stumpy February 14, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Fudge and Margey sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

Practice sounds like it wetn really well. It's great marge has some buddies to play with!

Chris and Ricky February 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Glad Marge had such a good time with her rally friend!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Muttsandaklutz February 14, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

Great practice! I can picture Marge being happy and goofy running around with her furry friend.

Kari in Alaska February 14, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

Very sweet. Happy Valentines to you, Marge and her admirer

Natasha February 14, 2010 at 8:35 PM  

Happy Valentine's Day! Marge and Fudge make an adorable couple.

Glad that you had a good day! It's great that you got Marge used to the wicket slowly. When I got Mika measured for the first time two years ago, she'd never seen a wicket before in her life and was stressing and terrified, thinking that this thing was coming to kill her!! Dumb naive me.

KB February 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

Wow, that wicket looks much more imposing than I expected. They could do same thing with a much less scary device, don't you think? That being said, I'm glad that Marge didn't seem to mind it.

I'm also thrilled to hear that Marge found a playmate. It's funny how some dogs hit it off right away while others never really do. K and I hiked a new trail network today and met a brand new yellow lab. They instantly (and I mean instantaneously) started sprinting, frolicking and chasing. It's rare that K finds a dog who she instantly feels confident with. I wish that I'd asked the woman for her phone number to set up a doggy play date!

Lorenza February 14, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

Happy Valentine's Day!
Fudge is very handsome!
Glad you had a great day!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

The Army of Four February 14, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

Love is in the air!
Play bows,
Zim

kissa-bull February 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

how furry shweet
puppy love is the gweatest
we are shending you some extra juicy pibble sugars and wishing you a vewy happy vawentines day
the houston pittie pack

Kathy Mocharnuk February 14, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

OH I am not suprised Marge has a Valentine, but I am sure there will be a lot of broken hearts out there......
Sounds like you set up a truly AWESOME practice, gosh you worked on so many things. I LOVE training with a partner, and how cool the doggies like each other too, sounds truly wonderful.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! February 15, 2010 at 12:08 AM  

Ahhhhhhhhh!

How pawesome!

Happy Valentine's Day to woo!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

SissySees February 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM  

Aren't Fudge's valentines the best?!

BRUTUS February 15, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

I never knew that measuring-thingy was called a wicket!! You really do learn something new every day! Sorry we've been AWOL, all that dental stuff in AZ had me too busy to keep up with bloggies! Seems like Marge is coming along in leaps & bounds! Way to go, you'll have some Q's of your own in no time, I think!

Michelle

AC February 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM  

Sam, sounds like you had a great training session. That's a great idea to buddy up with another dog team. It seems like it would make things more fun for the humans and add an extra positive challenge for the dogs. It seems like it also added some fun for Marge, too!

RILEY AND STAR MY MALTESEKIDS February 15, 2010 at 8:04 PM  

Hope you had an awesome Valentine's Day Marge.

We luvs ya,
Riley and Star.oxoxoxoxoxo!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP