Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Neon Green Denver Rottweilers

What a shocking sight THAT would be.

The title of my blog post today actually refers to a few separate odds-and-ends that I wanted to post about... proof of why punctuation is so important!

First, I just HAD to show off Marge's brand new neon green martingale.  I have been looking for this color for the longest time because I have a thing for wild and exotic agility gear.  I recently asked a friend in Michigan if she could make one for me, and using photos of my zebra martingale as a blueprint, she sewed up this beauty for me.  I just love the way it pops against Marge's black coat.


It's about a foot longer than my zebra one, which is totally my fault because I must have given the wrong length.  But, it is well made, beautifully colored, and the fabric is sooo soft.  She makes colors with ribbon overlays as well, so if any one wants her information, let me know!

Secondly.. Denver.  (No, Roxanne, I am not moving to your state just yet!)  Denver has now become a part of my Staten Island neighborhood.

Denver in this case is not a city, but a 5 year old Brittany Spaniel who was recently adopted by the owners of the late, great, Buddy.  He seems like a very sweet dog whose main goal in life is to chase squirrels.


He and Marge met through the fence. They didn't seem to mind each other.  I'm not sure what Denver's play style is like, though, so it may be awhile before we try them offleash with each other. I do (heartbreakingly) wonder, though, whether or not Marge knows Buddy is gone or misses him at all.  I sure do.

Lastly, after the trial this past weekend at my dog club, Marge was offleash playing with a few friends.  All of a sudden, in lumbers in a truly massive male Rottweiler - the judge's dog.

Now, Marge has a thing about Rottweilers; she does not like them (a definite fear reaction), thanks completely to two dogs that we encounter in life from time to time that are horribly unfriendly towards her. She generally gets all hackled up, perhaps curls her lip if they approach her.  Instinctively, I went to leash her (because he, of course, went up to her first out of all of the other dogs.. go figure).  However, his owner told me that he was totally OK with scared/nervous dogs and would probably be content to just let Marge sniff him.

Normally, I would have removed her from the situation regardless of what the other people told me to do.  However, since she was already out and they were already checking each other out, I left her be for a few minutes.

She was definitely nervous, because she would NOT play with the other dogs with him there, but she sniffed him several times and was comfortable enough to get right up close to him to try to score some treats from his momma.

L to R: Giant Rottie, Poodle friend, & Marge

Perhaps, if we had nice Rottweilers like this one to socialize with, Marge will feel better about the breed. All I can do is hope!

15 comments:

An English Shepherd June 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM  

Thats very green :-)

Kari in Alaska June 15, 2011 at 7:35 PM  

LOVE the green and glad that the Rottie was nice to Marge :)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Two French Bulldogs June 15, 2011 at 8:35 PM  

hope you told the rotty who was boss Marge
Benny & Lily

Unknown June 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM  

Beautiful green leash!

I'm so happy that the rottie was friendly and hopefully it helps Marge to forget her nasty experience. Our Laura was the sweetest one at home and she was everyone's friend.

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart June 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM  

Oh, fine ... throw in a Denver reference. :o)

I'm glad to hear Buddy's family is adjusting enough to welcome Denver home.

I'm also glad to hear that Marge tolerated the rottie friend so well.

Lorenza June 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM  

Pawesome collar and leash!
I like the color a lot!
Glad Marge was not too scared of that Rottie. I really understand her fear!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Wyatt June 15, 2011 at 11:31 PM  

Marge, that is a lovely color on you. Glad you made a few new friends. I guess you just have to figure out each dog based on the content of his character!

Wyatt

Kathy Mocharnuk June 16, 2011 at 2:26 AM  

Marge is amazing pushing her comfort zone and boundries, she really is amazing! LOVE the lime green pop of that leash against her black fir, very beautiful.

Cinnamon and Mint June 17, 2011 at 7:53 AM  

Those new collar and leash look very nice, especially on Merge!

katie, Maizey and Magnus June 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

I totally understand this post! It's what I face with Maizey all the time. . . I never knew other fearful dogs had troubles with certain breeds. Her nemesis dogs are black short haired dogs (no offense to marge;) especially black labs. Last week at the kennel we managed she did great until a chocolate lab came in, she never did warm up to her. It was two black labs in her puppy class that really traumatized her.:( We are working desensitization, but it would be nice to have a really mellow, nice black lab for her to work around. I'm glad Marge found a nice Rottie to work around! She could have been friends with Meeka.:)

KB June 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM  

I'm so glad that Marge met a nice Rottie, and was able to socialize!

Funny how dogs get breed-specific fears. K was attacked by a Springer Spaniel who bit clear through her ear. She landed at the ER getting her ear sewed back together.

Our vet's advice was to find a nice Springer ASAP so that K wouldn't develop a fear of all Springers. It worked!

Cheryl and Kirby June 18, 2011 at 7:43 AM  

We love Marge's new leash and collar, very striking against her black fur! I was catching up on your blog and your agility videos, you guys are doing great!! Sorry to hear about Buddy, but I bet Marge and Denver will be "buddies" soon.

Kirby and I have a chance to take an 8 week intro to agility in the fall. Our rally instructor is offering it and I'm considering doing that. We would still be doing rally class too so I just hope it's not too much for Kirby. But when I watch your videos I just think it would be a good thing for us to try.

Kirby's mom

Sierra Rose June 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM  

What a great color for the gear! And, custom! Does your friend have a product line?
Nice to have encounters as Marge did with the nice Rottie. It is so interesting watching behaviors and interactions.
Enjoy your weekend!!

Sweet hugs,
Sierra Rose

Teesha and Bindie June 18, 2011 at 9:18 PM  

Lovely green, You wonder if Marge knows Buddy is gone. I watch Ailsa and she seems to quite like the extra attention but then she goes to do something that she used to do with Brodie, then stares into the distance, yes they know there friends are gone, like us they probably still have the memories.

Sue June 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

We think green is a great color on Marge. It's so good that she can experience calm dogs and maybe learn to trust them. You must be very proud of her.
Sue

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP