Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Black, White, and Wild

I am SUPER stoked to introduce this girl, who I'm likely going to have the opportunity to run part-time in competition.

I ran Arrow once in at a trial.  It came together pretty suddenly, and the run wasn't so pretty, but it was quite a rush and a lot of fun.  Border Collies really are their own breed of crazy.

Recently, Arrow's owner asked if I would like to start running her part-time at shows.  Basically, she'll enter Arrow in local shows and if I'm entered too with Marge, I'll run both dogs.  At trials I'm not entered in, my instructor will probably run her (she's been running her for years in Jumpers).

She's 10 years old and in Excellent B in both Standard and Jumpers.  I think she already has her MX, but needs a few more legs for her MXJ.

I ran her last night during practice at our field.  Aside from her weave entrance issues, we ran really well together.  It's only the third or fourth time I've practiced with her.




I feel like my handling really needs improvement - my handling errors really stand out when I run Arrow because of how fast she is.  One twitch of my arm, and she's across the ring.  I also need to be able to differentiate running Marge from running Arrow, which is a challenge due to the different strengths that each dog has.  But I'm getting there.

As much as I love running Marge, there is something really cool about running an experienced agility dog who runs agility because she finds agility itself to be the greatest thing in the world. I think she's going to make me a better handler.. which will make Marge a happier agility dog!

And, for the Marge fans, here she is with me playing on the same course.  We ran it clean earlier in the night, then I accidentally pulled her out of the pinwheel on this run. Our next trial is just a week and a half away!


11 comments:

Two French Bulldogs July 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM  

It must be a bit less stressful running a pro
Benny & Lily

Raegan July 28, 2011 at 12:42 PM  

"I feel like my handling really needs improvement - my handling errors really stand out when I run Arrow because of how fast she is. One twitch of my arm, and she's across the ring."

Agree! I also got the chance to run an experienced Border Collie this week and it was UG-LEE! She was so responsive to handling I flung her all over the place with wishy-washy handling. It was really enlightening!

When I'm teaching competition level agility classes, running experienced dogs is something I want to incorporate. So you can learn to handle without worrying about teaching your dog.

Amy / Layla the Malamute July 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM  

Wow! That's so cool you get to handle Arrow. Are you going to be running her at JAG?

The preliminary class schedule doesn't look too bad. I kind of wish I didn't do the Time 2 Beat classes because they're at the very end of the day. Depending on what time the other runs end, I may just skip those and head home.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ July 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM  

Awesome work - you sure will get your exercise with Arrow. And you will probably learn from both dogs and just get better and better.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

An English Shepherd July 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM  

Great, very well done :-)

Diana July 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

Thats exciting. Have fun!!

Tucker The Crestie July 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM  

Have fun! All that extra practice can't help but make you a better handler.

Muttsandaklutz July 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM  

That sounds like a great experience, and so much fun! A win-win-win-win situation! :D

KB July 29, 2011 at 8:49 AM  

Wow, Arrow is very fast. I can see what you mean - you'll really get to fine tune your handling with her.

Marge looked good herself!

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart July 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM  

I would love (some day) to run (even in practice) an experienced dog. Enjoy!

Kathy Mocharnuk July 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM  

Honest dogs that react to everything are great for learning. Really nicely done wiht both dogs.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP