Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tummy, Sneezy, Gimpy Troubles


We had a little bit of a health scare with Layla last week.   It was a three-headed monster type day on Tuesday, with Layla's asthma and digestive problems both acting up, and also the addition of a third problem, favoring one of her front legs.  This all came only one day after Marge battled some sort of digestive upset that she quickly got over with the help of a bland diet.

I wasted no time and got her in to the vet Wednesday afternoon.   The limp really wasn't that bad and Layla was showing no hesitance jumping or moving around, but I figured that we had had a pretty good streak, having not gone to the vet since November, and that I may as well ease my mind and get her checked out.

The vet examined her leg and concluded that her range of motion was quite good and that although she probably has some arthritis, there really weren't any anti-inflammatories that he could prescribe.  I expected to walk away with Rimadyl or Metacam, just like I've gotten for Marge in the past, but apparently, they are not marketed for use in cats in the USA.

Over all, he didn't think her limp was very worrisome nor very severe.  He said it was likely either arthritis or perhaps some kind of soft-tissue injury that, if given time, would go away. He sent me home, told me to beef up her steroid dosage for two weeks, and check in with him then.  If the limp wasn't gone, then we'd pursue X-Rays and blood work.

We also weighed her (she dropped a bit to 7 pounds 10 ounces from 8 pounds 3 ounces), and checked her heart, which he said sounded good.

After only a couple of days on an increased dose, Layla's leg problem disappeared.  However, I absolutely hate that she is on steroids.  Her maintenance dose is quite low, and even this increased dose is low, too.  But, I've never really thought of steroids as a long term solution, and it scares me to think that she has been on them for a year now.

My vet is adamant that cats deal with Prednisone remarkably well and that her liver supplement, Denosyl, will protect her liver, but I am still uneasy about it.  I know many cats who take a long-term low dose of Pred, but I really wish I didn't have to.

Over all, she's doing really well considering she's 13 and has several chronic-type conditions.  Hope her relatively good luck continues.

9 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk March 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM  

I am glad it sounds like Layla is on the mend poor girl -that had to be quite a scare. Tell her we said to take care and we are sending healing thoughts her way!

Sue March 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM  

It sounds like you're doing a good job with Layla. I hate the idea of steroids, too, but Samba has been on them for two and a half years now and will be for life. I see how well she's doing and relax a little. They're giving her a better quality of life and that's what's important to me.

Thanks for keeping in touch.
Sue

Two French Bulldogs March 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM  

Yikes, scary. Paws crossed for Layla
Benny & Lily

Kari in Alaska March 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM  

Pretty sure animals all try and get sick at the same time. Paws crossed

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Bassetmomma March 25, 2012 at 7:34 PM  

It sounds like Layla is on the mend. We will keep our fingers and paws crossed for a speedy recovery!

Unknown March 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM  

Oh dear, it sounds so scary! I'm so glad that Layla is feeling better now. Paws crossed for her that she gets a speedy recovery.

Amy / Layla the Malamute March 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM  

Sorry to hear about your Layla's health issues. Hope she is feeling better. I know what you mean about the steroids.

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart March 26, 2012 at 8:51 PM  

I'm glad it all worked out, but believe me ... I understand the steroids issue all too well. Hugs to all of you!

KB April 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM  

I'm glad that Layla is doing okay. She's a cutie. We had a dog on pred for a long time at a low dose, and he did okay. But, I know that dogs and cats are different :)

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP