Monday, November 5, 2012

How MargeDog Did


I have to say that Marge was an absolute trooper during the confusion of Hurricane Sandy.  In fact, despite the fact that the storm was much more severe than Hurricane Irene, and much more tumultuous (leaving the house with the storm surge rushing up your block is certainly enough to set a fearful dog off) than anything Marge has ever experienced in my household, I was really surprised at how well behaved she was.

Contrary to popular belief, Marge was NOT a Katrina dog (she was born in 2007), so I'm not sure she's ever experienced anything like this before.

Marge definitely knew something was up in the day or so before the storm.  She had that nervous look about her and seemed to watch my movements closely.  However, even once the wind started to roar, she was relatively calm.  She enjoyed a few romps on the beach on Sunday and Monday and didn't appear nervous at all.

She did nearly have a heart attack when we threw her in my dad's hatchback car and she rode with me in the trunk as we escaped the high tide, but that's to be expected.  She settled down once we arrived at my grandma's dark house, though I kept her on a leash to be sure I knew where she was at all times.

Most importantly, once we returned home, she responded very favorably to the visitors coming and going from my house in the wake of the storm.  One neighbor who had her house completely destroyed stayed at my house for several hours, and Marge was nothing but hospitable towards her. (We did put her away when folks like the National Guard rang my doorbell, though, because I knew she wouldn't take kindly to men in uniform.  It's all about setting up for success.)

My friends stopped by to check on me, too, and she greeted them with only a few hackles and mostly swooping, happy tail wags.

The one thing that did make her really nervous was walking past the front-loaders that were taking garbage away from a nearby block.  But, she recovered quickly, and a few minutes later, ran some zoomies in a successful attempt to burn off the stress she just experienced.

So, she may not be perfect.. but she's pretty darn close!

10 comments:

Jo's World November 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM  

You have instilled your personal bravery in Marge! Two strong girls facing the world!

Jo, Stella and Zkhat

Sara November 6, 2012 at 5:54 AM  

That's wonderful!

I think dogs have an intuitive sense of when bad things happen. All of your training/rewarding really paid off.

Take care, and I truly hope you and your neighbors are starting to see conditions improve.

andrea November 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM  

Yay Sam!
Yay Marge!!

wonder why I thought she was a storm dog, weirdness ;)

oh well glad for complete update!

keep on truckin'!

Fred November 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM  

Hooray for Marge! Great job!

Diana November 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM  

I'm glad you guys are safe and Marge did well.

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart November 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM  

SO smart to keep her leashed. I know people with very well-trained dogs, who assumed they would walk nicely to the car OFF leash during an evacuation and who learned the hard way that's not necessarily true, when everyone is kind of freaked out.

I'm so glad to hear she is coping well. And, yes, keeping her tucked away when the national guard folks come is a very good idea.

PoochesForPeace November 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM  

Glad to hear she did well and that I guys r ok!

KB November 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM  

I'm so glad that you're ok. Rox has been updating me but it makes it much more real to see your photos. Rest assured that you are in our thoughts.

Now that I am experiencing a dog who is extremely fearful (but improving everyday), I know what a huge victory it was that Marge handled all that chaos so well.

Hang in there!

Muttsandaklutz November 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM  

I was thinking about you during the huricane, not sure whereabouts in New York City you lived... Incredible to read about the experience you, your family, and your neighbours have gone through. Wishing you all strength in the days to come.

Kari in Alaska November 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM  

Glad to hear she did so well

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://www.dogisgodinreverse.com

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP