Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Double Trouble

I had a very informative private lesson with Red yesterday, getting him ready for the beginning of what I hope to be a very successful stint in the Obedience and Rally rings.  I was told that I have talent on my hands with him, by someone who is one of the leading obedience people in my area.

It has basically led to me redefining heel position for both dogs.  I TAUGHT them both to forge.  I got away with it with Marge because she always had a tendency to get laggy in competition, but with Red, it's pushing him in front of me and causing us to flub up really simple stuff.  He isn't being "bad" - he doesn't understand the criteria!

The prescription: several small sessions a day "doodling" and getting both dogs comfortable in *real* heel position.  Doing lots of set-ups so I form the correct picture in their heads of what "heel" looks like. Of course, I took it upon myself to use these exercises for Marge, as she was home and comfy in her bed when I had Red out at the lesson, but since I want to bring her out for her CDX next year.. it's worth doing.

So far, so good.

It's fun (albeit sometimes stressful), having to juggle Red, Marge, Obedience, Agility, Rally, and (for Marge) Nosework plus a real life.  Still, I don't think I overdo it with them.  Just a couple of weeks ago, they were out at about hiking all over the place.  Trails that I didn't know Marge could do - yet she made it all the way up and all the way down with no issue.

Maybe I'll actually revive this blog and start posting again.  At least I know that 2018 will not go by without at least one entry!

1 comments:

Sue November 6, 2018 at 11:28 AM  

We look forward to seeing your progress. We've always had trouble with heel, so this is interesting.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP