Saturday, June 5, 2010

Slow Week and Fleet Week

It's been a slow week around here, as evidenced by my lack of posting.

Marge seems to be doing fine.  In terms of her leg, it's as if nothing ever happened.  She's moving fine and she's energetic.  We wandered down to the beach today for literally five minutes, and I noticed that she didn't seem to be moving as well when on the sand.  I'm wondering if that's the culprit - if she is either sore after running around on the sand for so long or if it's irritating her paws.  Today, I think the sand was simply too hot for her to walk comfortably on it. If she comes up gimpy tomorrow (which I really hope she doesn't), I think I'll have my answer.

I've been keeping up with her exercise and keeping an eye on her diet, largely out of concern that she'll gain weight if she doesn't stay active this summer.  This has meant early morning walks, dinner in her Kibble Nibble, and using portions of her dinner as treats instead of adding other things in.  By contrast, in the winter, she can pretty much eat anything and you'll still see the hip bones on her back. She's by no means overweight now, but I do like her to stay on the thin side because of how active she is.  I wouldn't be upset if she dropped a pound or two.

In other news, I'm working on my second video of Marge.  You may recall from last year that I made a video of her first year with me.  I'm doing it again, highlighting the events of her second year.  Also like last year, I'm trying to think of some sort of blog contest or event or reader photo compilation to commemorate her third birthday and second Gotcha day, but I haven't come up with anything good yet.  Let me know if you have any ideas.

I hope to have more interesting things to write about Marge by next week.  After all, this blog is about her!  Maybe we'll take a trip to the park, since I'm free this weekend.  A lot depends on the weather - it's been so hot!

------------------------

Something I didn't get the chance to blog about was my visit to New York City's Fleet Week on Monday, Memorial Day right here on the island.  We got to see the inside of a Navy ship, the USS James E. Williams.  It was very cool, and there were other ships we could have toured if we had more time.  In Manhattan, they had even more attractions.  I have nothing but the utmost respect and gratitude for those who serve our country so valiantly. These sailors and soldiers have made a huge sacrifice by leaving their homes, family, friends, and all things familiar to them.

I got to see this fella, a German Shepherd.  Of course, as a dog person, this became one of the highlights of my trip. He had a police vest on, but the soldiers were handling him, so I assume he was a military dog.  All I could think about is what kind of temperament he must have to do the job that he does.


The soldier asked if my sister wanted a picture of the dog, but he turned his head as she snapped the shot.


She got another as he walked by later on.  What a gorgeous and brave animal.


Just thought I'd share!

25 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! June 5, 2010 at 2:05 AM  

What a handsome GSD!

Keep up the great work!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

Sara June 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM  

I'm glad Marge's leg is good! Walking on sand is tough work, and sometimes seems completely different than walking on grass/concrete, so your theory makes sense.

Golden Woofs! SUGAR June 5, 2010 at 7:48 AM  

Woof! Woof! Great wonderful dogs. Happy Weekend. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Unknown June 5, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

Glad to hear she's feeling better! That GSD was lovely. I always like to see working dogs. They're so much happier when they have a job, aren't they? Your blog is looking great!

KB June 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

In some ways, I hope that you find your answer about Marge's fleeting lameness... but on the other hand, I don't want it to be the beach sand. I must share, however, that R's orthopedic surgeon warned us that deep sand and deep snow were the most likely places for him to hurt himself. I don't know if this is applicable to all dogs.

Once, in an australian airport, back before security got so tight, I suddenly realized that I had an illicit apple in my carry on (not allowed to take them through customs). So, I went over to the handler of a dog trained to find such things and asked what I should do with it. He asked me to keep it in my bag and go stand in the customs line as "practice". Then, he brought the dog past me "searching". Bingo, she found it in an instant. It was fun being part of her training!

Cyndi and Stumpy June 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM  

German Shepherds as working dogs...be still my heart!!! That would have been the highlight of the outing, for me.

Glad Marge's leg seems better. I'll be waiting to hear the prognosis after the walk on the beach

Stumpy's gained a few pounds with all the "treating" of Mr.B. Seems like they will never come off.

Kathy Mocharnuk June 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

I am SUPER glad that Marge seems ok, and it does seem suspicious that the limp started around the first of summer and after she had been on the sand, and walking on the sand is a real work out, that was part of Breezes rehab after she was pretty much healed..then the sand can get so hot or really hurt my feet so I am sure it could do it with paws....
I can not wait to see the video of Marges year with you-I am not feeling very creative this morning I am going to have to think of ideas to suggest today...

Kathy Mocharnuk June 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Mocharnuk June 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Mocharnuk June 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Mocharnuk June 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Mocharnuk June 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Two French Bulldogs June 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM  

We are happee to hear your leg is better Marge. Mom sure looks like she had fun at Fleet Week. Cool pictures
Benny & Lily

Never Say Never Greyhounds June 5, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

Thank you military and military dogs!

houndstooth June 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

I'm so glad that Marge is feeling okay!

Those military dogs are something really special!

Diana June 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM  

Yea hot sand would not be nice. I can remember trying to walk on hot sand. ouch!
Im glad Marge is better. Diana

andrea June 5, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

fingers crossed she stays sound

:)

loving the gsd :)

LauraK June 5, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

I'm so glad that Marge's leg is doing better, it's never fun to stress about stuff like that!

I'm really looking forward to the video :) She's such a lucky girl to have you :)

Lindsay June 6, 2010 at 12:19 AM  

I'm looking forward to seeing the video!!

Lorenza June 6, 2010 at 12:39 AM  

Glad to know Marge is feeling better!
Those working dogs are amazing, right?
Have a great sunday!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Cinnamon and Mint June 6, 2010 at 6:27 AM  

I am glad to hear that Marge's leg is back to normal :-)

Martha June 6, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

We must have missed the post about Marge's leg but glad it seems to be better.
We don't like very hot sand to walk on but that isn't often a problem!
take care
Martha and Bailey xx

tula monstah June 6, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

hey marge-- my meals have been cut in half too, we're in the same club!

your mom is like mine. if there's a dog somewhere.. she's taking a picture.. geesh!

happy waggin' weekend,
tula

Gus, Louie and Callie June 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

Oh what a great job that puppy has.. We can see why your attention went to him..
Keep up the good work with Marge..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Kari in Alaska July 4, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Isn't it funny how the weather had a huge impact on doggy diet? Sorry we fell behind again. We are reading the 10 posts that we missed

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP