Friday, August 6, 2010

Dear Hill's


Dear Hill's,

For the past five-ish years, the fuzzy creature in the photo above has enjoyed your hypoallergenic Prescription Diet d/d Duck & Green Pea formula.  This special food practically saved this cat's life, after skin, respiratory, and digestive allergic reactions rendered many other foods absolutely useless. While others told me that I could find a better food to put Layla on, I stuck to your food, because I don't believe in fixing things that aren't broken.

I wish, Hill's, that you would have followed that same line of thought, instead of adding Ground Yellow Peas and Chicken Liver Flavor to the old d/d formula.

After contacting your company, you informed me that the Chicken Liver Flavor comes from hydrolyzed chicken liver - the same ingredient found in your popular z/d Ultra formula.   It won't cause allergic reactions in an animal allergic to chicken, because the animal's body does not recognize it as chicken. The problem, Hill's, is that Layla's delicate stomach cannot tolerate z/d what so ever.  It's no surprise, then, that this new d/d formula might be causing issues.

Yesterday, Hill's, Layla threw up three times.  Forgive me for being graphic, but each of those times, it was the new lightly-colored d/d kibble that was present in her vomit.  While I am keeping my fingers crossed that this upset stomach was just a one-day thing, I am not optimistic that that is the case, since we have been down this unfortunate road of formula changes before.

I have a few days' worth left of the old d/d kibble, which I am currently mixing in with the new formula, and have my vet's office frantically trying to locate another old formula bag, to give me more time to get Layla's diet in order.

I wish I knew the reason, Hill's, that you were so inspired to fix what wasn't broken.  I assume it'd be an unsatisfactory reason, such as to boost sales, or attract more customers.  I stuck by your company as a loyal customer for years, and always expressed my gratitude that you continued to manufacture the d/d line of food, even when z/d became more popular.  Now, I must admit that I feel betrayed.  Now, I must wait, stuck in limbo, to see what is going to happen to my cat's diet.  To see if I'm going to have to change her food altogether to find something that she can digest, and risk an allergic reaction.

I know so many people who are so happy with your Prescription Diet offerings.  Why, oh why, would you tamper with things?

%$@^#!!!!

It's so frustrating that after a recent month-long stint in the dreaded cone collar to heal a hideous nose sore, Layla is faced with yet another predicament.  Can't this poor cat get a break?  She's held her food down today so far, but yesterday's three hurls were pretty alarming.

26 comments:

Stella August 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

Hey Sam and Layla, I don't blame you two for being upset about this. I am sure Hills will have some finely tuned excuse to give you, but I am just as sure you will figure something out on your own. Its probably the bottom line, isn't it usually?

Good luck,
Jo and Stella

andrea August 6, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

gah - I went through this with Sally enough times to be hysterical ...
I feel your pain

hang in there

Cyndi and Stumpy August 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

ARGH! Poor Layla! Poor Sam!!! Damn Hill's!!!

Chris and Ricky August 6, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

Poor Layla! It's awful when they change something that has been working so well. Good for you for contacting Hill's so they realize loyal customers are not happy.

Lauren M. Davis Folk Art! August 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

Oh my goodness I am so sorry!!! I do not understand why companies change things like that. I will never understand this!! It seems companies are doing this more and more and it really annoys me when they don't even bother letting anyone know!!! I am so sorry, hope Layla will start feeling much better soon!!! I wanted to mention that Natural Balance L.I.D. Allergy Formula duck Cat food seems very similar to that one you've been feeding, I wonder if this would work for her? I really Hope things get better, please keep us updated!!! ~Big Hugs~ Lauren

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ August 6, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

We sympathize with your concern. It seems like every time we found a dog kibble that was both good and nutritious but also one that the dogs liked, the formula would be changed. Or even worse, recalled for some contimaination. We hope you can get Hill's to respond and make a change but we have a feeling you are fighting a very uphill battle. We applaud you for trying.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

AC August 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

Oh Sam, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. And poor Layla. It does seem weird that pet food companies would switch their formulas, especially without saying anything. You think it's common knowledge that pets can have trouble having their diet's switched and this would be enough for pet food companies to at least make it known when they make a switch.

Deborah August 6, 2010 at 9:06 PM  

AWWW, that is awful, I hope your kitty feels better soon.
xxoo
Deborah

houndstooth August 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

I'm sorry! I hope you find something that works for her!

Sara August 7, 2010 at 6:33 AM  

Poor Layla, she's had a rough time lately. I hope you can find a food that works for her.

Dexter August 7, 2010 at 7:20 AM  

Oh ish! Poor little kitteh. After all that work to find a foodable that works and then they change it up. I hope that you can find something new that works.

Slobbers,
Mango

The Army of Four August 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

Oh no!!! I hope you find a good solution to the problem!!! :( Poor Layla!!!
Tail wags,
Storms

Kathy Mocharnuk August 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

wow......Poor Layla...it really sucks, hope you can find a solution for the diet soon, just must be so frustrating to know she does well on something and for some reason they are not going to make it available...I wonder how many other poor kitties are in the same situation?

Kari in Alaska August 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM  

Poor kitty, I hope you find the solution soon. I personally do not like Hills...

don't forget, we've moved to dogisgodinreverse.com

Granite State Pet Sitting August 7, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

I kills me when pet food companies change the food ingredients. That actually happened to us, and we had 3 pretty sick dogs for a few weeks, until we found something else that worked for us. We hope you find something quickly that will work for your kitty pal.
Have a Good Weekend.

Cinnamon and Mint August 7, 2010 at 11:52 PM  

I often hear my Mum and Dad talking about our dog food. They say they don't know what or who to believe when it comes to dog food. For example, is grain really bad for the dogs?

Diana August 8, 2010 at 7:45 AM  

Im so sorry. Did you know that the dog food companies have 6 months to change the label on their product after they have changed the ingrediants. So for 6 months you may be feeding your animal something you didnt want to. Unbelieveble. Diana

Marg August 8, 2010 at 7:58 AM  

Poor Layla. If the darn cat food people are going to change the formula, they should put a huge notice on the can of food or bag. Or just make a new kind of food instead of changing the formula of an already good cat food. That is terrible. Glad you wrote a letter. Hope Layla is better now.
Have a great day.

Lorenza August 8, 2010 at 5:54 PM  

Poor Layla!
I hope you find the perfect food for her!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Bijou August 8, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

We are sorry Hills is messing with Layla's kibble. Kitties have very sensitive stomachs so Hills should know better! We hope Layla can get used to the new recipe.

Waggles,
Bijou

Life With Dogs August 8, 2010 at 11:42 PM  

Been there and hated it. I so get your frustration. Let's hope you get as lucky as we did and find a suitable replacement...

tula monstah August 9, 2010 at 6:26 AM  

oh no layla.. that sucks. paws krossed woo find another foodable that does the trick:(

kissies,
tula

Never Say Never Greyhounds August 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

Oh, that is frustrating! I hope you find a solution quickly! I hate when companies change the ingredients.

Sue August 9, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

When I had a complaint a couple years ago, Hills did respond. I sent the letter to my vet with a copy to Hills. I don't remember anymore what the issue was at the time, but we got it resolved.

I was pleased that Blue Buffalo responded to my email very quickly last week. We need to stay on top of these companies. They are often more interested in the bottom line than in their customers and we need to send them a strong message that without their customers there will be no bottom line. Good luck.

Scout and Freyja August 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

I may be able to locate a bag of that food for you. Let me make a few calls. You still interested?

SissySees August 11, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

I'm trying to catch up on blogs after almost a week of being mostly unplugged, but I'm here to tell you that Sissy, my highly-food allergic basset, CANNOT eat her allergens even in hydrolized formulas. She swallows, and almost instantly, it comes back up, along with anything else...

I don't care what they say... that process doesn't seem to cure EVERYTHING for all creatures.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP