Saturday, December 11, 2010

More Trouble (Good Thoughts Needed)


We had a vet appointment today to re-check Layla's ALT liver enzyme levels.  The appointment initially started out well, and my vet was happy with how Layla looked as well as my description of how she was doing (eating well, drinking well, peeing, pooping, etc.).

However, when it came time to actually draw blood, they encountered a problem.  Layla's always hard to draw blood from, but this time, she formed a hematoma instantly at the puncture site and started bleeding a lot.  I'm embarrassed to say that I had to leave the room because of how dizzy and light-headed I got at the sight of a huge pool of blood on the inside of Layla's thigh.

They were able to get the bleeding under control fairly quickly, but my vet was concerned.  He said that such a reaction was pretty much indicative of a worsening liver problem.  They got enough blood to run the ALT test, so he will call me tomorrow with the results.

I'm horribly nervous.  Once again, the big C word was mentioned, as well as hepatitis, cirrhosis, etc.  I am just NOT ready to deal with something so serious.

Layla's doing fine, outwardly.  She's acting pretty much normal; in fact, the only differences I see in her are an increased appetite and less vomiting than usual, which are both the opposite of what you'd see with a liver problem.

Yet, my vet seems very troubled by the diagnostic signs.  Her ALT was originally tested to be 134, and then increased to 181 on retest.  100 is considered the highest for normal.  I have read about some cats having values in the 1000's and not showing clinical signs, but my vet said he does not want to see that ALT number even slightly high.

I guess we will see what the test reveals and proceed from there.  I'm honestly not very optimistic - my gut feeling says that the value is going to be similar or the same, even after taking the Denosyl for 3 weeks. He mentioned ultrasound as a possibility, to see whether there are any masses on her liver.  I think I'd be alright with doing that - at least it's not invasive.  More blood testing would probably be an option, too, but that will be complicated if losing blood is going to be an issue.

This cat has had such a rough year.  Ever since that stupid food changed, we've been rolling downhill.   First it was the vomiting and lack of appetite from changing foods.  Then, it was the stumbling and falling over.  Now, something's wrong with her liver.  All I want is my little girl to be OK and live with me happily and comfortably for many years to come.  Is that too much to ask?

21 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! December 11, 2010 at 12:10 AM  

On Saturday Khaturday, we'll be thinking the best for THIS Layla!

Jed and Abby in MerryLand December 11, 2010 at 3:16 AM  

We'll have our paws & fingers crossd for Layla. Hope it turns out not to be as serious as it sounds.

Jed & Abby

Chris and Ricky December 11, 2010 at 7:08 AM  

So sorry Sam! We are sending lots of good and healing thoughts your way for Layla!

Frankie Furter and Ernie December 11, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

Oh I am soooo sorry to hear this about Layla. I will keep my paws crossed and here come some of my best pawsitive
VIBES >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anonymous December 11, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Sendin the most pawsitive thoughts to Layla. Hugs, Roo

LauraK December 11, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

I'm so sorry that Layla isn't doing well- what matters most is that she has a loving family that will take care of her and do what's best for her :) Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

Kathy Mocharnuk December 11, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

I am sooooo sorry, poor baby has just been through it his year, I will be thinking lots of healing thoughts for both of you and say some special prayers!!!!

Sue December 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

Poor Layla, we thought things were getting better for her. We'll all keep our fingers and paws crossed and think happy healing thoughts for her. She and Morgan are fighting tough battles, but they have a lot of caring people behind them.

Sam, will you send me your mailing address? I have something to send you.
Sue

Tucker The Crestie December 11, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

SO sorry to hear that Layla had a rough day and the vet is so concerned. The cat kids will be purring for her.

Cyndi and Stumpy December 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

Wow! It just seem never-ending at this point, I bet! Poor Layal and poor YOU! Sending good healing thoughts, vibes, mojo and whatever else I can dig up!

Crystal (Thompson) Barrera December 11, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

I hope the labs come back better than expected. It's so stressful when our pets are sick.

Diana December 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM  

Wow that is scary. Dont feel bad about being dizzy. It was your own animal that you have a relationship with. With other people it will be different.
I hope things get better. Diana

Kirby, CGC December 11, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

Hoping for good results, sending pawsitive thoughts your way!

Kirby's mom

PoochesForPeace December 11, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

That's so hard, sorry to hear about all this. It feels horrible to have to worry and wait for results. Since you cant make any decisions until you know whats going on, maybe do something nice for her...i dont know about you, but when my babies are sick or something, pampering them makes me feel a little better :) (and then maybe do something nice for yourself, lol!)

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ December 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

More need for the power of the paw. We will cross our paws for Layla. Poor thing sure needs to catch a break. Hope the test results are better than expected. Mom says she would have had to leave the room too at the sight of all that blood.

Hugs to you.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

andrea December 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

best of thoughts

it's so stressful when our famly is sick :(

Anonymous December 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

Hi Sam. Amber here. I'm sorry to hear that Layla is having such a tough time. I know it's hard on you, too. We're sending lots of thoughts and prayers and love your way.

Kari in Alaska December 11, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

We are sending heeling vibes

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Two French Bulldogs December 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

all our paws are crossed
Benny & Lily

Muttsandaklutz December 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

So sorry to hear this, sending positive vibes your way. Hang in there.

KB December 12, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

That sounds like a very tough vet visit. At least you can take comfort in the fact that Layla seems to be feeling good. However, I know that gnawing worried feeling that you must have. I am sending my best positive vibes your way.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP