I did not set training goals for 2010; I tend to have a problem with a) setting goals that are ridiculously low or b) goals that are impossibly high. But I'm going to give it a valiant try.
I will say that Marge was enormously successful in our training endeavors this past year. In 2010, she completed three titles and got very close to finishing three more.
I essentially have our trial schedule for the first half of 2011 already set. We'll probably be doing about 10 days of agility from February to June, as well as at least two (hopefully more) days of APDT Rally.
With that in mind, my performance goals for the first half of 2011 (January - June) are:
- to complete the OA title
- to complete the OAJ title
- to accumulate TWO qualifying scores in Excellent A, regardless of class (Standard or Jumpers),
- and, most of all, FOR BOTH OF US TO KEEP OUR HEADS SCREWED ON STRAIGHT WHILE WE'RE IN THE RING!
- to complete the RL2 title
- to accumulate TWO double-qualifying scores towards the ARCH title in APDT Rally
- to begin training for APDT Rally Level 3
- to attend ONE obedience match with Marge at my club
- to drastically improve heeling footwork
- to maintain performance of stays, fronts, and finishes
At the end of June, when we have a month or two off, I'll come back and see which goals we met and which we didn't meet and hopefully form some more goals for the Fall trial season.
In terms of general training/management.. it's hard to form specific goals. I hope, however...
- to continue to find ways to socialize Marge (such as attending more club meetings with her)
- to push our boundaries; to better recognize when we can dive a little deeper and when we need to back out of a situation
- to keep her active and outside as much as possible without having her scared
- to continue to make progress regarding her situational fears around my dad
Here's to a successful 2011!