Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bayshore Part 3: The Great State

After my Standard run on Saturday, we packed up the car, got the trailer ready, and left the park.  The ride home was uneventful.  Both Marge and I were exhausted by the time we finally got home.

We had a day in between our next day of showing, which, as most of you already know, was dampened by the loss of Buddy.  I did a lot of crying and a lot of sleeping on Saturday.

Marge also took a little walk with Mable on Saturday, who I was taking care of while her owner was in Massachusetts.


Saturday truly felt like an endless day; I was happy when it was over.

Sunday morning, I woke up bright and early.  I stopped by Mable's house to let her out to piddle, and got on my way.  For the first time ever, I was crossing in to New Jersey alone.

And I'm so happy I did.  I'm probably one of the few who think so, but I really enjoyed the drive down Routes 9 and 18.  Of course, if there was traffic I might not have been so happy, but there you go.  I was proud of myself for finally making the trip to a trial by myself (and now I know I'll always be able to drive to this park alone).

My first run was around 9 AM.  After obsessively walking the course (they don't call it the obsessive walk-through for nothing), it was time to get Marge and, once again, step to the line.

I will let the video do the talking.






We qualified in spectacular fashion, nearly 12 seconds under course time, for first place in Excellent A 20".  Probably one of the nicest runs we've ever had in competition. The added bonus?  It was her AXJ title.  That means the next time she steps to the line in Jumpers, she'll have the chance to accumulate MACH points.  MACH points!!


We had a while before our next run, Excellent Standard.  Marge hung out in her crate:


And Layla, whose owner, Amy, was nice enough to share her tent space with us, relaxed too.  It was so nice to have some company while we waited. Thanks again, Amy!


Marge and Layla got along pretty well, ignoring each other for the most part.  Marge did give Layla one grumble, but I suspect she was resource guarding her backpack (which she knows contains her treats).  Later on, Marge approached Layla in much more wiggly fashion while Layla woo woo'ed at her.  Layla is such a pretty girl and has a personality to match.

Our turn in Excellent Standard eventually came.  Alas, it was a non-qualifying run..




The first problem was that I should have handled the opening differently.  I should have rear crossed the weaves, which I know that Marge is perfectly comfortable with.  Then, after the teeter, I totally took her off course.  The table.. I did NOT like that little hop, since, as you know, Marge had some problems with the table last year.

The ending was nice, but the fact that we've qualified in Standard ONCE in a year is bothersome.

By that point, I was so agilitied out that I left just a few minutes after my Standard run.  I went home and was a complete zombie - though the drive home was fun. :)

And this concludes our LONG weekend of RV'ing, spending lots of time with lots of friends, and having some fun running agility.  We'll be back out in a couple of weeks, for a one day, very local trial.  In the meantime, we'll be debuting in obedience... that should be interesting!

14 comments:

Two French Bulldogs June 8, 2011 at 4:28 PM  

Looking good Marge! The events must be mentally and physically exhausting
Benny & Lily

Cinnamon and Mint June 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM  

Sam and Marge, well done for the AXJ title! Yes, it was a great run indeed!!

Kari in Alaska June 8, 2011 at 6:07 PM  

Well done on the AJX!!!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Muttsandaklutz June 8, 2011 at 7:12 PM  

Woo hoo!!! Congrats! That sure was a beautiful run to get her title with.

Cyndi and Stumpy June 8, 2011 at 9:07 PM  

Congratulations on the AJX! AWESOME!

Don't you love how our dogs give us a little lesson in humility every once in a while (Stumpy actually does this quite frequently!)

Happy, Waggin' Tails, FUREVER!
Stumpy and me

Amy / Layla the Malamute June 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM  

Congratulations again on the AXJ! That was a GORGEOUS run. I'm so, so happy for you.

If you ever want to run Layla in Jumpers and I'll run Marge in Standard, just let me know - I feel about Jumpers the way you do about Standard lol.

You're very welcome! I really enjoyed your company, I hope we can share again. Layla wasn't fazed at all by Marge's little lip curl. The fact that she continuously tried to inch her way over in front of Marge's crate makes me think that she likes her lol

Diana June 9, 2011 at 6:22 AM  

Beautiful jumpers run!!! Congrats. I dont think you did anything wrong in the opening on your standard run. She just didnt read the cue and cut behind you. Im not sure why, unless you were a little late and she couldnt collect to make the turn. But its something to practice, so next time she gets it. You guys look really good!!

Unknown June 9, 2011 at 6:46 AM  

Congratulations! it was a fantastic run!

Tucker The Crestie June 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM  

Great job!

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart June 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM  

Yay! MACH points here you come!

Kristine June 9, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

I was holding my breath the entire time through both videos! Agility is full of such highs and lows. I am always either ecstatic or completely frustrated.

I think the two of you look so awesome out there! Both courses looked quite difficult but your teamwork was so awesome to watch you made it look effortless. Marge really reads your cues so well and seems to be having a blast. Congratulations on such a great and crazy weekend!

And good luck with your obedience debut!

KB June 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM  

Wow, you two are ZOOMING. I am so impressed since I was around back when you were trying agility trials for the first time, and now you're going for mach points!!!! More than anything, you both look happy - like you're having a blast. That speaks volumes about how far Marge has come!

On a minor note, we've decided that K's days of backyard agility are over. It makes her "bad" paw sore - which makes sense when I think about the stress of going through the weaves or landing from a jump. We can still do slow games on the teeter or the A-frame... but now I know that my equipment will be mostly idle until a puppy joins our ranks someday.

ForPetsSake June 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM  

Wow - Of course you got 1st place, with a run like that! Congrats big time! Marge and you are pro's!

Pet Sitter Los Angeles June 18, 2011 at 2:50 AM  

Nice post! and Dog is really enjoying his life! i like it..keep it up!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP