Friday, August 26, 2011

Irene

Well, my worst fear about this storm has pretty much happened, as I am due to evacuate my home before 5 PM tomorrow.  For those who are not familiar, I am on the East Shore of Staten Island, which is one of the boroughs of New York City.  I am a half mile from the Lower New York Bay.

Luckily, my grandmother lives nearby, outside of all evacuation zones.  So that's where we (including Marge and Layla) are heading.

While this evacuation is likely precautionary, I am taking it seriously and starting to round my things up.  Marge's important documents are all in my agility backpack already.  I have stocked up on food for both the cat and the dog, as well as cat litter.  We have tons of bottled water.  I am taking Marge's giant soft crate, my cat's carrier, as well as my spare wire crate with me.

We've experienced lots of bad storms here, but never storms severe enough to warrant the type of evacuations we're currently seeing.  I don't know whether I should be more worried about the wind or the prospect of flooding.

Several bloggers have my contact information, so rest assured that I will be in touch.

Good luck to all of you who are also dealing with this storm.

18 comments:

Two French Bulldogs August 26, 2011 at 5:10 PM  

Oh no! We will keep our paws crossed for you and all our relatives that Hurry Cane Irene goes back to sea
Benny & Lily

Muttsandaklutz August 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM  

Oh my goodness! Thinking of you guys, hope this thing blows itself out before it causes more trouble. Stay safe!

Vicky August 26, 2011 at 5:25 PM  

Stay safe! Glad to hear you have somewhere to go outside of the evacuation area.

Stella August 26, 2011 at 5:28 PM  

Good luck, Sam, Marge, Layla and Grandmum!

I lived in NC and when you'd ask some oldtimer if he was finding different shelter, he would most often say "Nah, gonna ride 'er out"

So we wish you the very best no matter where you ride 'er out!

Kisses,
Stella and Jo

Sue August 26, 2011 at 5:30 PM  

Good luck, Sam. We'll be thinking about you. Let us know how everything is when it's over.
Sue

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ August 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM  

Stay safe. This storm does sound like it has the potential to be very serious. We will be thinking of you, glad you have somewhere to stay.

Amy / Layla the Malamute August 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM  

Good luck! Text me if you can. Supposedly, even if phones and internet are down texts often go through.

We're supposed to evacuate too. Half the town is mandatory and half is voluntary. So far I'm in the voluntary part, by about a mile. I'm hoping it stays like that. I'm alone (Pat's mom had surgery yesterday so he's up with her) with two dogs and a cat. My options are either "riding 'er out" like Stella says, or start driving west and hope to find a pet friendly hotel.

All the gas stations in my town are out of gas, too. Very creepy.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you guys!

Golden Woofs! SUGAR August 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM  

Woof! Woof! Be Safe. Sending you Lots of Golden LOVE n Woofs, Sugar

Tucker The Crestie August 26, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

Sorry that you're having to evacuate ... we've definitely been there and feel your pain. Please stay safe and let us hear from you as you are able!

andrea August 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM  

thought of you as soon as I heard mandatory evacuation in NYC - hopefully they are being extra super cautious and you'll be home for Sunday dinner with a story to tell - hang in there ...

Anna the GSD August 26, 2011 at 7:53 PM  

Be safe! Glad you guys are taking precautions! Much better safe than sorry!

Maggie Mae and Max August 26, 2011 at 9:34 PM  

Stay safe and be careful.

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

LauraK August 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM  

We'll be praying for you all! Hopefully it isn't as bad as "they" are saying and it will pass quickly so you can return to the comfort of your home! Those girls are lucky to have such a responsible owner, I'm sure a lot of animals are just left to fend for themselves. Stay safe you three!

Sam August 27, 2011 at 7:13 AM  

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts.

Chris and Ricky August 27, 2011 at 8:03 AM  

Thinking of you Sam - I heard about those evacuations yesterday and knew you would be involved. Thank goodness you have your grandmother's place to go to. Stay safe. Hopefully Irene will weaken more before she gets to NYC.

An English Shepherd August 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

Hope you all keep safe :-)

KB August 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

I hope that you're doing OK. We're thinking of you.

ForPetsSake August 28, 2011 at 11:17 PM  

We're hoping for the best here. I hope it was far less scary than they were predicting. Many hugs.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP