Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Most Beautiful Place on Earth

I've been struggling to find some fitting way to introduce this.. maybe with a bit of wit, or a bit of nostalgia.  But for some reason, it's easier for me to stare at a blank page than to come up with things to say on this topic.  In fact, I've opened up this page several times and tried to write something, to no avail.  The thoughts just kind of swirl in my head: happiness, ecstasy, anxiety, and memories that race back to some really fond times in my life.

I've waited several months before even attempting to say anything, as I always had that lingering fear that perhaps it was too good to be true, that it wouldn't work out.

But I can't wait any longer; I made that mistake the last time and no one knew what a large part of my life it was until the very end. 

I'm riding again.

Yeah, woo-hoo, there's the big dramatic three words.  But, for real, I am riding again.  Several times a month, in fact, on one wonderful 20-year old ex-lesson horse whose owner is gracious enough to share her gift of horses with me for really what is such a small amount of money.

Words cannot define the feeling I felt while rocking back and forth in the saddle to a canter for the first time in over four years.  Words cannot define the feeling I felt after picking up a curry comb and a hoof pick and a dandy brush.  The feeling of cinching a saddle or soft horse lips nibbling at my fingers in search of treats. 

I've ridden Phoebe about 5 times now and she is a whole lot of fun.  I even went on my first real trail ride this weekend, a 7.5 mile ride that took close to three hours.  I am still sore, 3 days later.


She pranced the whole way.  I even took my first tumble, due to a saddle that wasn't tight enough.  Don't worry, I'm fine, I thought it was the funniest thing ever and wasn't scared at all.  Guess that's why I've always liked small horses.

But to ride through those open fields, to see deer running past, to look up at a picture perfect sky, all with the ears of a horse pointing forward underneath me.. those pains are worth it.  It was the most beautiful place on earth, or one of them, at least.

After our ride, we turned the horses back out in to their giant pasture, a sight so foreign from the dirt turn-out pens that I'd grown up around.  I commented on how happy they looked, ambling from each corner of the field to another. 

And I counted my lucky stars as I watched them, so thankful to have this opportunity again after so much hurt, so thankful that I am once again able to enjoy these remarkable creatures.

17 comments:

Cyndi and Stumpy October 26, 2011 at 7:53 AM  

YAY!!! If I wasn't soooooooooooo happy for you I'd be green with envy! I've been there and there is no other feeling in the world!

Looking forward to more re-riding stories!

HAPPY TRAILS!!!

Kari in Alaska October 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM  

So glad you are back into riding!

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Sue October 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM  

I'm so happy for you. Enjoy!

KB October 26, 2011 at 7:09 PM  

Woo hoo! That's great news. You sound so very happy!

Two French Bulldogs October 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

whooooaaa!!! Now thats good news
Benny & Lily

Unknown October 27, 2011 at 8:51 AM  

I'm so happy for you!

Enjoy it and have fun!

LauraK October 27, 2011 at 9:12 AM  

I'm right there with you Sam, being in the presence of horses is truly a gift :) I'm SO happy for you that you are able to have the opportunity to ride again and be one with a horse. It truly is magical- and a great way to forget about all the stresses in life and live in the moment. I get the goosebumps when I see horses running free in a pasture- such a special sight :) Looking forward to hearing more about it, hopefully I can get back in the saddle someday soon too!

Josie October 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

Way to go...ride away....I actually just went riding for the first time again in years a few weeks ago. So good for the soul. So happy for you. Woofs and hugs, MB, Josie and Blues

Josie October 28, 2011 at 1:05 AM  

Sam and MargeDog...just wanted to say that we are back on blogging...hope you have a chance to come check out our new posts when you get a chance...it will be nice to catch up on your adventures as well...MB, Josie and Blues

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart October 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM  

Such happy news. So glad to welcome Phoebe into our world.

Dawn October 29, 2011 at 7:11 AM  

I'm so happy for you! I know this is a big part of your life, and it's exciting to know that you are riding again!!

ForPetsSake October 31, 2011 at 12:22 AM  

Congratulations! My daughter says she loves the feel of freedom she has when riding a horse...

Kathy Mocharnuk October 31, 2011 at 11:32 PM  

I am so happy for you!!! That is fantastic!!!

BRUTUS November 1, 2011 at 12:45 PM  

Hey there!

I"m just back from a really long blogging hiatus, came over to see what you were up to. SOOO happy for you - riding again AND Team Marge is looking fantastic as well! Had I not of known of her troubled past and all the struggles you faced, never would have suspected - she looks so happy & you look so much more relaxed in your handling too!

We're back to posting, although somewhat sporadically. The dogs keep me pretty busy when work doesn't, so my limited blogging time will be mostly agility related. Brutus is currently the #2 agility Frenchie in AKC, and we are going to Orlando next month for the Eukaneuba/AKC Agility Invitational :) I haven't posted new videos just yet, but will do so in the near future. Hope you can stop by!

Continued good luck with Marge & enjoy the trails!!

Michelle
Brutus & Carmen

Cinnamon and Mint November 2, 2011 at 6:05 AM  

I am so happy for you too!!

andrea November 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM  

YAY thrilled for you:)

it's a great great feeling for me too

Never Say Never Greyhounds November 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM  

Sounds like heaven!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP