Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Manning the Fort

My sister, an avid amateur photographer, wanted to go down to Fort Wadsworth today to take pictures with the fancy-shmancy big camera that my dad still has from his own photog days. I, on the other hand, was perfectly fine being delegated to my Canon point-and-shoot and took the opportunity to get some of my own shots of Marge.

She was a little unsure of the place at first, but warmed up a little bit when she saw a man chowing down on his dinner nearby. She then proceeded to sniff all over and try to climb on things like she always does.

(Yeah.. Marge ignored the Caution sign.)



I didn't know it when we got there, but they maintain a population of goats on the fort to keep down the weeds. There were a good number of them hanging over the cliff above us. They looked at Marge curiously and wagged their tails. I don't know what it means in goat language, but it was funny and intimidating all at the same time.



Marge, too, didn't know what to make of them. If they were closer, I think she would have tried to bark and scare them off. She investigated a bit, then looked worried (kids were nearby, too) so we moved away.



We spend the rest of the time on a rolling green hill, with the Verrazano Bridge sitting right next to us. (+1 to Marge for not having a care in the world about the noise it created!)



Over all, I think she enjoyed the visit. She especially loved running up and down the big hill. I was going to bring her 20' leash, but I felt a bit weird about breaking the law, which technically states that dogs much always be on a 6' leash or less, while on government property. She had a good time, anyway. I'm just glad I didn't get yanked down the hill onto my face!

As a side note, I think Marge is feeling better. We did some Agility in the backyard today, and while she wasn't 100% on the jumps, she did them, and she was fine with the other stuff (stair contacts, weaves, flatwork). It was much cooler here, thank goodness. Otherwise, we lounged around most of the day and romped in Miller Field in the afternoon.

8 comments:

Pedro July 9, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Marge,

My mom has never seen that bridge from this perspective. Tell your mom she's a great photog herself with her point & shoot!

Pedro

Sue July 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

I was really interested in this post. I was born a Wadsworth and I have recently been doing research on my ancestry. It looks like Fort Wadsworth was named for some of my ancestors. I've never been there, so seeing your photos is wonderful.

Astrid Keel July 9, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

What great photos! I think I would have panicked a little at the sight of goats if they were any closer!

NCmountainwoman July 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Nice photographs of Marge and the area. Looks like a fun day.

Harvey July 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM  

:) what a nice day!

i'll never forget the first time my dog smalls saw goats- he skidded to a stop and just stared at them, completely baffled by them. they are unusual beasts, i guess.

great pictures!

PoochesForPeace July 10, 2009 at 12:47 AM  

im glad she's feeling better. I love that last pic of her, she looks so happy!

Natalie July 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM  

Thanks for your nice comments. I love Standards too, they are just excellent dogs. So loving.

Yes, I hope to do Agility and Rally with Addie. She is just a couple months over one year old so we are just starting training. She's taken all sorts of obedience classes, and we had orientation last night for a class called Performance Puppy. It is designed mainly for agility, but it's for young dogs, laying the foundations of drive and impulse control for dogs in performance sports. We're very excited.

Cinnamon and Mint July 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

It's great to know that Marge is feeling better!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP