Saturday, August 15, 2009

Money Well Spent

The $30 I spent last night on Marge's training was well worth it.


The fun and new training opportunity I spoke about in my last post was getting to rent the training hall for two hours all to myself.  It was great!  Louie and I had the place all to ourselves from 7PM to 9PM.  You don't realize how big that room really is 'til you're in it all alone.

Unfortunately, I have almost no pictures or video, which I was hoping to spruce up this post with.  Shortly after we got there, we realized the camera was dead.  Oh well, hopefully next time!

Marge really enjoyed it.  She was totally smitten with the idea of getting to run around all by herself, and stopped every once in a while to look at herself in the mirrors. She heard noises from the mechanic next door but wasn't terribly concerned with them.  We built a couple of courses with jumps, weaves, a chute, table and tunnel.  They were relatively small and easy, but it was good practice nonetheless.  She did have 1.5 mg of melatonin beforehand, so I'm not sure if that made a difference.

This will probably be the last training-centric post until a week from Tuesday, since I don't have regular agility class this coming week.  I've missed going on our usual adventures, so hopefully this darn heat will simmer down and Marge can get out to sniff and roll in stinky things - which she loves just as much as running agility.

Here's one of the videos Louie managed to snatch on his phone from the evening:


We will definitely be doing this again.  Today we sort of just got the feel for the place, in terms of how to set up a course in a room smaller than a usual field, so next time I can make it more challenging for both myself and Marge.

(Shortly after this video was taken, I decided to take my sneakers off because my feet were hot.  For next time, I know this is an awful idea, as my feet are so incredibly sore from running around on the rubber mats barefoot for two hours.  Woops!)

10 comments:

bordergirlsmom-Kathy August 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

How cute Marge wanting to look at herself in the mirrors, LOL, I wish we had some indoor places we could rent, sounds like you had a great time and who would have thought the mats would hurt bare feet? Glad you had a good time and sounds like got some good training done!

Cinnamon and Mint August 15, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

I also wish we had an indoor place like that where we could practice comfortably even on a rainy day. $30 for two hours sounds like a reasonable rate. Was Marge all right running and jumping around on rubber mats, which might have been a bit different from running on the grass? I would have taken off shoes, as I didn't know rubber mats would hurt bare feet either.

Keep your good work!

BRUTUS August 15, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

It's great to have a nice indoor facility to practice in! It's been insanely hot here too, so we have been having lessons starting at 8:30PM! It's dark by the time we're done - I can't hardly see, but Brutus doesn't seem to mind since there's no sun beating down on him! Rubber mats - love em, hate em!!

NCmountainwoman August 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

We were extremely lucky that our trainers allowed students to use the training room when no classes were going on. In Milwaukee in the winter, it was a Godsend. And surprisingly few people took advantage of it.

Dexter August 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM  

You did agilities for two hours??? You are in much better shape than I am.

Momma is still being trained on how to show me where to go in the ring, so it would be bad for her to practice alone. Yesterday she even tried to get me to weave from the wrong side THREE TIMES and she was getting mad at me and the teacher came over and had to grab her arm. Silly momma.

We can get a half hour of private agilities for $30 which we do now and then and that is certainly money well spent because momma can practice her moves better while I hang out with my teacher's dog.

Kisses,
Dexter

Martha August 16, 2009 at 7:18 AM  

That looked brilliant fun! Well worth it as you say - we enjoyed watching your video - pity that your camera was dead!
Our mum thinks it is a pity bassets don't do agility as she feels certain that would keep her very fit!!
Well done Marge.
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

Bijou August 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Hi Marge,

You sure can do that agility good. I think I could do it too but there is no place for us to go around here.

Sorry your mom has ouchy feet now!

Wags & wiggles,
Bijou

Astrid Keel August 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

Hope your footies feel better!

What a great experience... we wish we had such a giant space to do ... well... anything! BOL!

PoochesForPeace August 17, 2009 at 12:18 AM  

woohoooo!!!

Carolyn August 17, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

Lucky!

That's a great deal for two hours!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP