Friday, December 11, 2009

In A Slump

School and school work has pretty much got me burnt out.  On mornings when I don't have class, I prefer to sleep until noon, which pretty much renders the day useless.  


So, as you can imagine, Marge and I haven't been doing much aside from walks in the neighborhood, in the field, and on the beach.  She's really loving the cold weather - her exercise needs are through the roof and it feels like almost every hour upon the hour she's asking to go out and do something.

Tonight, for the first time in a long time, Marge counter-surfed.  What was scary about this time was that she actually reached up to a loaf of bread that was at the back of the counter.  In the past, her food steals have been items left out and open right at the edge.  She tried to do it again, while I was in the room, but I clapped my hands and told her "off."  I think she thought it was funny, as she came over to me with ears back and tail swooping.  I just hope it doesn't become a habit - I'm thinking today it's due to the fact that she has not gotten enough exercise and mental stimulation this week.

I would have liked to take her to the park or something tomorrow, since we haven't been there in quite some time, but my father needed my car.  So, it looks like it'll just be another day in the neighborhood.

I'm hopeful that once I finish up with school (my last final exam is Thursday), catch up on sleep, and satiate my need for lay-around-and-do-nothing days, that we'll get back into the swing of things.

BTW, I think we're both really missing agility.  Tuesday nights feel so empty without my two hours at the field, and I'm not sure that indoor class is going to be all that fulfilling.  Maybe I'm just a pessimist, though.  Stay tuned to find out what happens on Monday during our first class. 

16 comments:

Sara December 11, 2009 at 5:58 AM  

Late December and January are tough. Days are short and dreary. Too cold for humans. I know my dogs don't get enough exercise during those weeks.

Oh why can't it be politically correct for us to hibernate like bears?

Golden Woofs! SUGAR December 11, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

Woof! YES! I understand... Just want to wish you and your family Happy Holidays. I just posted my last post for the year. We are going on a long Holiday break. Lots of Golden Holiday Woofs, Sugar

Diana December 11, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

Yea, I think we all are having the same problem. Dogs with to much energy and people with not enough. Diana

Dexter December 11, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

Yuh, my mentals have not been stimulated lately either. The snow is all crunchy and icy and not good for running and playing. Momma got out the dumb box again and this time I stomped it so that we won't be seeing it anymore. Hehehe.

Slobbers,
Mango

Frankie Furter and Ernie December 11, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

My mom wants to know what your mom's Major is?
I know how you feel about wanting to go out and not being able to. That happens in the winter. BUTT, remember this... it is only a few more days and... the days will start to get LONGER again. hehehe I think that is Santa Paws' best gift to us. I hate the short dark cold days.

Frankie Furter and Ernie December 11, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

My mom wants to know what your mom's Major is?
I know how you feel about wanting to go out and not being able to. That happens in the winter. BUTT, remember this... it is only a few more days and... the days will start to get LONGER again. hehehe I think that is Santa Paws' best gift to us. I hate the short dark cold days.

Cyndi and Stumpy December 11, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

Tis the season, when EVERYONE could use a break...take one and enjoy it. there will always be things getting in the way.

Counter surfing? Welcome to my world. Although Stumpy is very, very good 99% of the time, that other 1% includes a repetoire of naughty behavior that never fails to blow my mind. Stumpy is almost 3, and I have decided she will never be 100% trustworthy. When I am forced to leave her, it's kennel time. Otherwise I know she will find a way to pay me back.

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly December 11, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Hope you get over your slump soon. We think winter just does that to LOTS of folks!! Marge is featured on our bloggie today!!

Woofs and Kisses!

KB December 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

It is such a stressful time of year for a college student. I used to be a prof so I know... Marge will be fine while you wade through the zillion stresses right now.

How about some frozen kongs for the times of day when Marge seems antsy? We freeze either canned dog food, homemade food, or baby food (baby food is expensive) into kongs. When we needed the biggest distractions, we use the biggest kongs - xxL. It's a substantial part of their daily food intake but takes more than an hour for each of them to extract the food. They love it!

Good luck with your exams!

Carolyn December 11, 2009 at 10:59 AM  

Oh boy! I know exactly what you are talking about (and you've got at least 10 years on me! Lol). Once an early riser, I now sleep til 9 am every morning (today I was up at 8:15 - BONUS!).

I've had nothing but presentations, papers, quizzes, and projects since Thanksgiving break.

Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to "just studying" for finals.

And, yes, we've had our fair share of "bored dog" behaviors around here as of late....Gwen pulled a bunch of pots out of the sink (yep, I not really keeping up on that sort of thing) and Cooper ate a bunch of foam out of a dog bed and "re-deposited" it on the office floor.

*Whew* Just had to get that off my chest! Lol!

Hopefully I'll be back to blogging someday...

-C

Kathy Mocharnuk December 11, 2009 at 1:14 PM  

I think it is the time of year everyone is feeling like that. I also am just lost with my classes ending and thinking of having nothing in the evenings I have to go to ;-(. I hope the monday night class is going to be awesome!!! good luck on the final exams!!!!!!!!

Martha December 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

We just wish we had legs Marge and we would counter surf too!
We know you need ongoing exercise and stimulation - from a basset perspective we are happy to snooze when nothing is happening.
However given the chance to eat we would eat!
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

Gus, Louie and Callie December 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM  

Of course she misses her stimulation. Dogs need a job. Agility is hers...
Yepper the 2 Red's are the clowns around here..


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! December 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

The yeasties in the bread sooooo talk to some khanines!

Merdie is a bread and roll'triever!

Happy Weekend to ALL of woo!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Two French Bulldogs December 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Good job Marge. Grab what you can while you are up there. But don't hurt yourself.
Happy Friday
Benny & Lily

Sue December 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

I live a house full of counter surfers. Monty never allowed the others to do it while he was alive, but now they think they can get away with it. So far they haven't scored big except for a turkey leg that Samba grabbed last year at Christmas. It was right out of the oven and so hot that she dropped it.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP