Friday, May 14, 2010

Hitting The Sand

To break up the monotony of walking out in the big field every afternoon, we went to the beach. My sister had initially suggested it, and I had been thinking it all along, so it worked out well.


It was HOT. I guess we didn't realize how hot it was, initially. But, we spent a good amount of time there, walking up and down the desolate part of the beach.

I absolutely love this photo. Marge was standing up on the old building ruins, and the lighting aligned just right so that she almost became a silhouette. The sky looks gorgeous, too!


Here's another picture of her posing. She climbed by herself on to something higher later on, and took a pretty nasty tumble when she tried to jump down. She seemed okay, though - she looked like she was most upset about getting sand in her mouth.


I realized once we had gotten there that I had forgotten to bring Marge's water bowl. I did have a bottle of water with me, but nothing to give it to her in. She won't drink out of the bottle or out of my hands - she's afraid I'm going to wet her with it. So, a big, clean, empty sea shell was the only thing I could think of. It was way too hot for her to not have any water. It worked smashingly. Talk about making the best of it with what you have!


Here's the surf near the end of our trip. Once again, Marge didn't want to go any where near these rocks. It was too bad, because sitting on them with the water splashing near our feet was a pretty cool experience. It'd be a good spot to just go and relax at.


By that point, it was pretty evident that Marge was done. It was warm for her, and we all know that Marge's patience runs low in the heat. One more recall, and we went home.



On the schedule tonight: thunderstorms! An opportunity for conditioning. We had some pretty loud bangs before, and I am glad to report that Marge did not completely run away, though she was scared. I'm armed with a cup of kibble and I'll send them flying at her any time the thunder rumbles.

Tomorrow, we're hoping to finally get back to the woods, after months of absence. Later on, Marge will go for a bath. Something tells me she'll like the first thing better.

16 comments:

Cyndi and Stumpy May 14, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

great pics and great commentary!

Never Say Never Greyhounds May 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

I wish had access to a beach. The greyhounds and I have had a great time the few times we have been.

Good luck with storm training! Been there and still doing that. So far so good with Reagan on storms.

the teacher's pets May 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM  

I thought it was clever of you to put water in seashell as a cup for Marge to drink from! Very cute! And throwing kibble to distract her from the thunderstorm is also a clever way to get her mind of the loud noises. The beach is 30-40 minutes away from me but I plan to take Daisy there on an off day, if I ever get an off day!

D.K. Wall May 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

We love the picture too.

Muttsandaklutz May 14, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

Oh, that silhouette photo is stunning! And holy moly what sleek, long legs she has in that photo on the rock. I just love how athletic and powerful her build is.

houndstooth May 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

I really like that picture, too!

I envy you with the beach so close by! I think Bunny would love it, but we are pretty far from a decent beach!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! May 14, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

Oh my!

I khould barely get passed that pikh!

PAWESOME!

We hope woo have an enjoyable weekend!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Lorenza May 14, 2010 at 11:34 PM  

Yes! I love that picture of Marge too!
Going to the woods and a bath??
Sounds great to me!
Have fun!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Kathy Mocharnuk May 14, 2010 at 11:49 PM  

Marge was able to eat the kibble during the thunderstorsms, wow! Maybe drinking out of a sea shell is the same as people getting a fancy colored drink in a fancy cup with a little umbrella, it just feels more special and tropical, so maybe the water tastes best in a sea shell!!!

Martha May 15, 2010 at 5:07 AM  

We always love your beach trips! What a wonderful silhouette pic of Marge!
Have a great weekend
love
Martha and Bailey xxx

Sara May 15, 2010 at 5:59 AM  

What a fun day on the beach. Love the photos of Marge. She is such a beautiful dog.

Hope she fared well during the thunderstorms.

Chris and Ricky May 15, 2010 at 7:21 AM  

Great photos of your day at the beach! Using the seashell as a water bowl was a clever idea - I love water out of mom's hand - sometimes at trials that is the only way I will drink!

Ruby and Penny May 15, 2010 at 9:21 AM  

What beautiful photos. Marge looks like a statue in the 2nd shot.
Have a great walk in the woods.
Love Ruby & Penny

Diana May 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

Great pictures. I love walking on the beach with my dogs. Diana

The Army of Four May 15, 2010 at 9:05 PM  

Oh yeah! We love that picture!!!
Great post!
Play bows,
Zim

Anonymous May 20, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

I love this picture!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/insane_sam/Marge2010/May10/IMG_5510.jpg

It looks like she's ON TOP OF THE WORLD! :D

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP