Monday, June 14, 2010

When Life Strikes

I've had quite an absence this weekend.  I was simply too busy and too tired to even think of blogging - some of that busyness was good (like pet-sitting again), and some was not so good (like the fact that my cat is suffering the consequences from eating that delicious can of wet food last week).

What really angers me is that after a mere few minutes of searching online, I found that seafood was one of the most common allergens for cats.  Why didn't the vet tech know this?  Why didn't they ask the vet before telling me what has proven to be a very bad piece of information?  Looking back, I feel almost like she didn't even listen to me when I called on Wednesday to ask if that food was okay.  I feel like she rushed me off of the phone.

My vets are great, but their employees leave something to be desired.   A part of me wants to find a doctor specializing in cat food allergies and go to them instead.


That night, Wednesday, her nose swelled up.  I stayed with her on the couch until almost 3 AM, and then had to resort to putting the dreaded cone collar on her.  I really never wanted to do that again to her.  She had to wear it for an extended period of time a few years ago, and I'm really hoping that that's not what this turns in to.  It's already been almost a week.

My vet prescribed Prednisone - .2 cc for 7 days, .1 cc for 14 days.  He told me to discontinue the antibiotic, too, just in case she's reacting to that (it is a possibility, though not a big one in my mind. The swelling is already gone, but the nose is all raw and gunky and open - it's hard to explain, but it's just not pretty.  The cone does help, but not completely - even merely licking with her tongue is re-opening it every time it appears to be drying up.  Based on the fact that this keeps happening every day, I have a feeling that another vet visit is going to be in order for her this week.

She's still eating like a champ, and I'm watching her water intake (and syringing a bit extra in to her mouth to really keep her hydrated).  It's amazing how one little change has totally upset her delicate balance, and I'm really hoping we can get rid of this thing soon.

I likely won't be around much for the remainder of this week.  Perhaps I can squeak in a training update tomorrow or Wednesday, but it's possible that you won't hear from me until after my trial on Friday.

Keep Layla in your thoughts, please.  She's 11 years old.  She doesn't deserve to be put through this crap again.


23 comments:

AC June 14, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

Ugh, Sam, I'm so sorry to hear that Layla still isn't well. The whole food thing is so frustrating. Paws crossed that her nose heals and whatever infection she may have clears up. It sounds like you're taking great care of her and monitoring her so well.

Hang in there. Don't worry about being away from blogland. We'll be thinking of you and looking forward to more of your stories, but take care of your furry family and yourself!

Cyndi and Stumpy June 14, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

Dang! I am sorry to hear that layla is still suffering and you are so frustrated.

Cats are allergic to seafood? who knew? why do the petfood companies even make catfood with seafood? Sheesh...

We'll be thinking of you, here.

Two French Bulldogs June 14, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

aaaahhh we will keep our paws crossed for Layla
Benny & Lily

Muttsandaklutz June 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM  

Oh that sucks! Sorry to hear about her troubles, and how frustrating for you. Hope this clears up quickly, poor sweet kitty.

The Army of Four June 14, 2010 at 9:05 PM  

Poor Layla! We will keep her in our prayers!
Play bows,
Zimmie

Sue June 14, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

Poor Layla and poor you. The nose is a hard area to heal. They just keep touching it like a sore tooth that your tongue keeps going back to.

It doesn't seem fair at her age for her to have to go thru this, but I know she's in good hands. You have a real instinct about animals.

Frankie Furter and Ernie June 14, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

My paws are crossed for Layla!!!

Deborah June 14, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

We will be praying for Layla, poor little kitty. I hope she gets better fast!
xxoo
Deborah

Bijou June 14, 2010 at 10:34 PM  

Hi Sam,

We will keep our paws and fingers crossed that your Kitty gets to feeling better soon!

Hi Marge!

Waggles,
Bijou

Never Say Never Greyhounds June 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

That is annoying that you would be rushed with an answer on a serious question. Hope your cat is back to normal soon!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! June 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

Sorry for all the aggravations....that is so NOT fun -

We'll be thinking good thoughts for Layla -

After all, Khyra loves to have more khats to pick on!

Lorenza June 14, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

I still have my paws crossed for Layla!
I hope she gets better soon!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

houndstooth June 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM  

Allergies are so hard to get through sometimes! I'm sorry Layla's having so much trouble right now. We've had our own troubles with fish and I won't feed it to any of our pets anymore.

Sara June 15, 2010 at 6:04 AM  

I hope Layla is feeling better soon. It is so hard to watch our pets suffer.

If we don't hear from you again,....good luck at your trial.

Chris and Ricky June 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

We will definitely keep Layla in our thoughts! She will get better soon - I just know it!

Take care and have a good week!

Diana June 15, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

I hope Layla gets better soon. We are thinking of you guys. Diana

KB June 15, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

I'm thinking of you and Layla, hoping that things are clearing up as I write this. I know what you mean about the cascade that can follow an upset to an animal's delicate balance.

But it sounds like you're taking great care of her... and will keep showering her in TLC. When one of my dogs was in a cone for an extended period recently, my vet recommended using a damp wash cloth to clean his face for him regularly. She said that even dogs get thrown off by not being able to groom their faces. Maybe Layla would like that?

SissySees June 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Lots of similarities here, only staff is awesome too at wondervet's practice. Still, I'm beyond frustrated that Sissy is still having problems and I have no answers.

Definitely thinking of you and Layla. It is completely draining to try to go about the daily routine AND care for a sick pet.

Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Oh, Marge's momma! We've been full of the busyness, too, and haven't been able to make it around to everybuddy's bloggies lately. So we missed all this about your sweet kitteh. We've got Lola in our thoughts and my paws are crossed real hard for her to gets all better soon.

Gentle wiggles and wags,
mayzie

An English Shepherd June 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

Sorry to read this paws crossed for Layla,

Wizz :-)

Scout and Freyja June 16, 2010 at 12:31 AM  

We are holding her close to our hearts with tender care. No, she doesn't deserve to be sick and - boy - is she ever a cutie pie!

Kathy Mocharnuk June 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

Oh my gosh, I am soooo very sorry. I thought it was such a treat she got that food, who knew??? I am glad it sounds like she is on the mend, but...must be so hard to see her going through that. ((((HUGS)))))-Kathy

Kari in Alaska July 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

oh my it looks like I spoke too soon. I hope he nose gets better soon

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP