Friday, October 22, 2010

The Unfortunate Monkey Wrench

Of course, prepping for a trial cannot just be a simple, routine, thing.  Nope, never! Instead, Marge goofed off with the cat last night, went running up the stairs like a lunatic, and it was then that I discovered that she was limping on her right hind.  That's the one she injured this past April, two weeks before her first AKC trial.  It was her hip flexor back then. Rest and Rimadyl did the trick.

The limp went away with a few steps, but I took precaution, iced it for 15 minutes, and sent her to sleep.

Maybe she just stepped funny or something.  She seems fine today - seems to be putting weight on it evenly, didn't get upset when I moved it around.  She has no reservations about moving around or acting goofy. I'm still keeping her pretty quiet, and I iced it again, too.  I can't tell if there's a slight gimp or not - I'm famous for seeing things that aren't there and dogs are equally famous for hiding them.

This certainly throws a monkey wrench in to my plans.  I planned on taking her for a long walk on this windy pre-trial day, but that's not happening, obviously.

I've been letting her sleep on the couch, getting her up every once in a while to have her potty and for me to watch her.  She dozed in the sun for a few minutes.  I might take her for a short leash walk later.

I also finally picked up Nupro Joint Support, the supplement my trainer uses.  It's supposed to help with all kinds of stuff - joints, soft tissue, coat, digestion, immune system.  I made a gravy out of it for her, and she lapped it up very heartily.  I'm going to give her another 1/2 scoop later (she's right on the borderline weightwise between 1 and 1 1/2 scoops), and then again in the morning.

This is highly upsetting - she's put on a ton of muscle the past couple of months and I've been doing a good job keeping her in shape.  The only area where I might be lacking is stretching - but she's not getting hurt doing agility, she's getting hurt doing stupid stuff like running in the field or tripping up the staircase.  She was FINE on Tuesday night, and I did make sure to warm her up.  Maybe I need to add more strength training to her regimen.  Core and balance and stuff like that.

Gosh, how I wish she would swim...

Anyway. As of right now, I'm still taking her to the trial tomorrow.  Marisa is going to be there, and I will ask her to feel her leg before we run (if we run) to see if there's an issue.  She said she can massage her, too, which I would really like.

I will NOT run an injured dog, so if I have doubts, I won't do it.  I'm going to play it by ear.  Worst case, it'll just be a day of socialization and pretty parks for Marge with no agility.

17 comments:

Jules October 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

oh dear! That is always the way. None of Bug's injuries have happened doing agility or herding.

Hopefully she is fine. Good luck tomorrow.

Anna the GSD October 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM  

Stupid kitties! Always causing problems!! I'm sure Marge is okay though, she's tough!!

Amy / Layla the Malamute October 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

Good luck with her leg! At least Marisa will be there to look at it and feel it before you run. Like you said, worst case scenario is still a day at an agility trial with your dog.

That's the same supplement that I use! I also got my dad to use it for his senior dog. It works fantastic. It might take about a month or so to really see the effects, but it's noticeable how it works. Her coat will be amazingly shiny and she'll feel great.

Amy / Layla the Malamute October 22, 2010 at 4:17 PM  

PS ~ Not sure if it's old and I just haven't noticed it, but I love the picture on the top of the blog with Marge and the water's edge.

Chris and Ricky October 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

Hope it is really nothing and that Marge gets to do agility tomorrow! But you'll know when you see her moving around tomorrow morning. Good luck either way!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! October 22, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

I'll sekhond Anna's khomment!

KHATS!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

houndstooth October 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

It's always the darned cat!

Diana October 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

I hope everything works out. Diana

Sara October 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

Bummer. Hope you get to run tomorrow!

AC October 22, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

Ugh, not the best way to start the trial weekend but I bet you'll make the best call. For what it's worth, I've been hobbling for a few steps every time I get up these days but I'm still going strong =)

Hope the weekend goes well and LOVE the new header!

LauraK October 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM  

Don't you love how this can happen any other night- but it has to happen the day before a trial? Crazy dogs! Hopefully she rests up and can tear up the agility field tomorrow.

I really need to get better at stretching Riley, and getting her back into swimming- thanks for reminding me! You really should look into a hydrotherapy place- Penny hated swimming at first, but now she enjoys it. I'm sure Marge would come to like it too :) She just doesn't know what she's missing out on! Good luck this weekend!

Kathy Mocharnuk October 23, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

OOOH dear, the last trial we were entered in Breeze pulled her front leg the day before and was really limping, but icing and taking it easy the rest of the day seemed to take care of it I felt really horrible taking her to run at the trial, because I feel like her physical safety is the upmost importance and with her bad back and dysplasia, it was a definte lameness just the day before ......ANYWAY, the day of the trial I just could not see anything wrong no matter how hard I tried,....so we ran...guess I am just saying go with what you really see today -just like what your plan is-- you are a great observer-sure hope she looks alright and hope you have a great day!!! Tell Marge to stay away from those kitties! GOOD LUCK!!!

Sue October 23, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

Looks like you've found her weak point. Let's hope it doesn't bother her and you two can enjoy your trial.

andrea October 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM  

here's hoping you have a fun day and get to run!!

KB October 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

The hard part is getting Marge to show you *if* it hurts. I hope that she looks completely perfect tomorrow and there's no question in your mind that she can run!

Be careful about giving too much of a new supplement the day before a trial... sometimes those things can cause GI upset, especially if they contain oils or omega-3's.

I'm pulling for you both!

Lorenza October 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM  

I hope Marge is fine and everything went well!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Kari in Alaska October 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM  

Murphy's law rules me life. I am sure you will know if something is truly wrong


Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP