Monday, January 23, 2012

Not A Given

If you recall from my post a couple of weeks ago, I decided to chase the last double-Q for my APDT Rally ARCHX title with Marge.  I decided to enter only one day at a local trial, giving my checkbook a break and thinking we'd get it in only one shot.  Part of me wanted the title, and part of me didn't want to completely rob Marge of Rally since she enjoys going to Rally trials so, so, much.

Marge's Rally record is flawless.  She has never NQ'd and has consistently scored above 200 (out of a possible 210).  All we needed was two 195+ runs and we'd earn our next championship title.

We went in to the ring in Level 1B and kicked butt, taking a perfect score and the fastest time for first place in the class.

HOWEVER, when we went in to the ring for our Level 2B run, the should-be last half of the last QQ for the title, Marge was distracted.  The "Offset Figure 8" was one of the obstacles on the course, and that obstacle just happens to use food bowls.  With food inside of them.

Since food is allowed in the APDT Rally ring at specific parts of the course, I fed a distracted Marge a piece of liver treat on the start line, hoping to win back her focus.  We went through the run relatively unscathed, though Marge made me work hard for just about every obstacle.

The judge approached us after the run and explained that my use of food on the start line was considered an "inappropriate use of food."  You see, it wasn't quite luring, because I didn't move the food in front of Marge's face the way you would to teach a dog to sit or down, but it wasn't quite a reward, since I literally had to show Marge the food in order for her to take it... Marge wasn't looking at me as I took it out of my pocket.

She didn't NQ me, but said she'd have to "hit me" for it.  I said that I understood.

Our score is posted on the easel next to the ring.  We scored a 193.  A fine score.

But... guess what?  You need a 195 in all ARCHX runs to earn the title!

So, courtesy of my little mistake, we didn't get the title that I expected to get.  I guess my punishment for being so darn sure of myself will be having to wait until the summer to actually get another shot!

We did, however, pick up our RL2X, a title for which scores do not matter.  So we walked away with something!

8 comments:

andrea January 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM  

Oh my goodness - what a tough way to learn that !!!
congrats on what was obviously another very good day!

Shane Kent Louis January 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM  

Congratz marge! you really deserve it :)



--------------------------------
It's all About Pet Fences | Dog Fence

KB January 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM  

Even though you had to learn a lesson the hard way... you sound very happy and Marge looks happy. that's what matters most!!!!

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart January 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM  

Oh, man! Next time, for sure.

Amy / Layla the Malamute January 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM  

Ugh!! That sucks! At least you got another title though, that's pretty cool.

A handler error cost Layla 2nd place in Rally at our National. Instead of a 97 and 2nd place, with a commemorative plate and cool stuff, we got nothing. It was the "down your dog, walk around" station and I didn't realize I had to pause before starting heeling again. Oh well. Now we know.

petdoginsurance January 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM  

Thank you for posting. Very informative.
Dog sitter Austin

kissa-bull January 24, 2012 at 2:58 AM  

those puppy eyes just kill me *sigh* i would give you all the prizes in the world with those eyes

Kathy Mocharnuk January 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM  

Hey a huge accomplishment even if you did not get the official title YET, but you know it is coming. Good job Marge!!! Congrats

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP