Wednesday, August 31, 2022

You Can't Go

 It's funny. 


People love to say things like "she'd want you to be happy!," alluding to the idea that I should go and do all of the things Marge loved to do with Red.


I'm not so sure if that's completely true. 


If you knew Marge, you knew there wasn't really an ounce of selfless "go-on-without-me" in her. She wasn't like Shadow from Homeward Bound laying in the ditch telling Chance and Sasyy to leave him so that they could escape and have a good life with Peter. Except for very few occasions, Marge wanted to come and Marge wanted to be involved. (Whether she still wanted to participate as fully as she used to is a different story, but generally, she had a good time on our adventures and we moderated them as she aged).


Minnewaska State Park is on fire. The park is closed. The fire started Saturday, I believe, or at least that's when it hit the news. The day Marge died.



Minnewaska holds a special place in my heart. We've had a handful of really memorable hikes there, including a long hike last year at the end of the 2021 Trail-A-Thon.




I remarked to a couple of people, those who REALLY knew Marge, that it was her way of telling us, from where ever the hell she is right now, that we aren't allowed to go back there for the time being.



I smiled at the thought.



I like that narrative better.  It fits her more.



An earthquake hit northern New Jersey, not terribly far from where we finished our 2020 Trail-A-Thon.



Stay out of there, too.



If something wild goes down in Acadia National Park..



..then I know she means business.

1 comments:

Cyndi and Stumpy September 3, 2022 at 11:59 PM  

Just saw Marge's memorial video. It's a beautiful tribute to a beautiful spirit, a wonderful friend and an amazing relationship. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Stumpy's been gone for two years. I still struggle going to some of our favorite places. Taking the new guy seems traitorous

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP