Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday Training 5

Well, we had a good day, if not long and perhaps a bit unproductive.  Unfortunately, I have no images or videos to share from Agility, because we had a crazy class (I'll get to that later.)


Marge kind of just chilled out today.  I took her on only one walk in the field, and she was HOT.  She sometimes seems to show concerns for things - for example, a dog walking at about 200ft behind us - but hasn't reached that panic mode in a long time.  I'd say our walks the last couple of days were NOT as good as the walks we took in the days before, but they weren't terrible, so I'm not worried yet.

Tonight, my mom's cousin, my second cousin, accompanied my sister, Marge and I to agility tonight.  Marge was fine with her.. wasn't too scared when she entered the house, and was totally fine with her in the car. I actually had quite an audience, as both my mom and my dad showed up, too.  Unfortunately, we didn't have a whole lot to show them, as the first half of the class was spent with my instructor dealing with the fact that she just got chomped on the arm by one of the other dogs.  Yep.. she had a nice sized puncture wound.

So, we just fooled around with the weaves and jumps.  I got Marge to do a back cross to the left, for once.  She can do them just fine to the right.  

She knocked quite a few bars tonight, but it was undoubtedly because she was FLYING around the course with reckless abandon.

Marge hasn't been on the teeter in almost a month, so I'm thinking that I'm going to get her back on it next week.  We did do some work with it though, with Marge standing on the table and banging down the high end of the teeter.

We did a short sequence with Marisa.  Jump-AFrame-wrap around to tunnel underneath AFrame-jump-out to far end of tunnel-come back in to Jump-AFrame-Jump.  It was REALLY hard.. the same sequence that the Excellent dogs in the class before us were running.  Going through that second tunnel was hellish, as I could not get her to go into the right end.   I'm not too worried, though.. I've only had 14 classes and I feel like I'm WAY ahead of where many people are at that point.

No reactivity except when Blue the Pit Bull got too close.. she snapped at him.  No biggie, I should have kept her farther away.  She's never liked him.  As long as she doesn't react towards people or when dogs run their course.  Of course, no reactivity at all would be best, but those are my two big things.

She had her usual 3 mg of melatonin tonight.  I'll continue doing this during every agility class and unusual/special outing that we go on. I don't know if it helps, but she has been a whole lot less reactive, so I'm not about to change anything right now.

It was a dribbly-drabbly kind of class, as you can probably tell from this dribbly-drabbly post!

I'm trying to rent the training hall again this Friday, so I hope to have a more cohesive Agility update then.  Next week, we may very well be the only ones in class, so I'm hoping for a productive class then, too.

And now, to make up for my enormous lack of agilivids, Marge demands I show the rest of the pictures from her squeaky slaughter yesterday.




13 comments:

Ms. ~K August 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

Hey Sam...You certainly know how to tear up a stuffie! Have you ever had a Nylabone? It's the only toy we're allowed to have, because we can't destroy them.
Keep up the good work at agility!

We're curious, do you know where you lived in GA?

Life With Dogs August 26, 2009 at 1:17 AM  

Nice work on both accounts - great to see her having fun too! :)

Martha August 26, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

Good work!!! Too many stuffies - so little time!
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

BRUTUS August 26, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

Only 14 classes and doing that kind of stuff - you rock!! You have certainly surpassed me! The crosses aren't as big of a deal for us, mostly because Brutus is small/slow! Don't know how I'd get out of my own way to run a normal-speed dog LOL! Our biggest project is the weaves - certainly not naturals there! And Brutus is getting faster, so I'm happy that his level of enthusiasm is higher as I get better at handling him :)

Good job you two!!

Michelle & Brutus

Dexter August 26, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

You are pretty advanced. How often do you practice? And what's up with the teacher getting chomped on?

Dexter hasn't tried the teeter tooter yet. I guess I need to graduate to intermediate to get there.

Mango Momma

Astrid Keel August 26, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

Marge, you sure showed that stuffie who's boss!

We're sorry to hear that the agility class wasn't super productive... Hope your instructor's arm feels better soon!

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart August 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

Wow! I can't believe you're already working on rear crosses. Excellent progress, for sure.

Dexter August 26, 2009 at 5:13 PM  

Thanks for asking. I actually already took the liberty of adding you to my google reader because you are totally cool (for a labradog).

It is good to get to know you.

Slobbers,
Mango

Cinnamon and Mint August 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

It seems you have many supporters who come to see what you are doing at agility classes. That's great!

Thanks for suggesting referring to Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed. Actually, I have ordered the book just recently as I couldn't find it in local libraries' database!

Anonymous August 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM  

Hey Marge, good work on that squeaky toy!
And tell Sam its OK to add us to your blogroll.
We consider it an honor. Thanks for asking us.

- Jake and Maggie Gyllendog

Huskee and Hershey August 27, 2009 at 4:40 AM  

Ahhh.. RIP to your stuffie!! We love to destroy stuffies too.. that's why our mom needs to keep her job so that she can keep the stuffie supply coming...

Thanks for visiting our blog and your comment about mom and dad's tattoo. Lucas and Chloe are the babies they lost last year and this year.

Kathy Mocharnuk August 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

My first agility dog was reactive and anxious and I know how much work you are doing and you really deserve big kuddos, Marge is lucky to have someone who understands, and like all things I think there are always going to be some little backslides after a lot of progress, so glad you do not sound too worried about that, she will be making huge strides again soon, so just keep up the good work, but I know you will! ;-). Sorry the agility class was not the most productive class you have had, especially when you had all those people that wanted to watch you!

Anna the GSD August 27, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

Wow! I want to try agility next year, maybe you can give me some pointers cause you're awesome!!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP