Friday, November 6, 2009

Our Friday


Let me start off by saying thank you to Samantha for a nice blog award. Sammie is such a pretty gal, and a smart one, too - she's just started competing in Formal Obedience with great success! Her parents don't have a bad choice in name, either. ;)



We went on a really great walk this afternoon.  The sun was out and it was a gorgeous day, but it was COLD and WINDY! 


We mozied through the big field, as we so often do, and I decided to take a gamble.  Let's walk a little farther today.


Just beyond these evergreens stands a small playground.  We usually don't walk this way that reason, but, today, Marge was able to get past it.  She stopped to sniff by the trees, then got a little nervous because she heard the sounds of a few children playing, but was able to continue on rather than try to run home. The treats in my pocket certainly helped.

The goal, of course, was not to freak Marge out with the scary sounds of little kids, but, instead, to reach what loomed on the other side:


The beach in the fall and winter is one of my favorite places to walk Marge.  No one is there, so the BOTH of us can totally relax. 


Marge, though she hadn't been there probably in months, took to the sand like she was there yesterday. She quickly found a piece of driftwood and sniffed to her heart's content.

We then raced up and down the shoreline.



As we walked, we saw these birds wading a few feet from shore. I've seen them in the field by my house, too, certain months out of the year. Any ideas what they might be? They're about the size of ducks, but differently colored, and they honk more like geese.


Before we left, Marge looked out to the ocean sprawled out before her.  I think this would be my new favorite picture of her, if not for that pesky leash tanged underneath her!


We hit the field once more to walk home, Marge stopping at her favorite places to sniff.

She was a little bit bugged by something on the way back, as evidenced by her tongue-flicks as I asked for her to come, and her slower speed while recalling.  However, whatever it was didn't linger with her, as she flew up to the trees on the border of the field in hot pursuit of the squirrel she saw climbing a tree.  (She quickly discovered his ill-fated partner lying a few feet away, probably the unfortunate victim of a car).

Forty-five minutes after we set out, we were back home.  Marge plopped on the floor, and grabbed her little inanimate buddy...


The fish!

P.S. - I did return home to the news that my father has been taken to the hospital by my mother due to a kidney stone attack.  I saw his car parked when I arrived home and figured he had simply gone up into bed for a nap, but, apparently not.  Though this is a recurring problem with him (he is stubborn about his diet sometimes!) I ask that you please shoot a good thought his way.

20 comments:

The Army of Four November 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

Beautiful pix! I'd lov to go on walkies with you - and to help you rip up those stuffies. :) That part wouldn't take very long... :)
Love,
Ammy
PS: We'll say a prayer for Sam's dad!!!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! November 6, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

Khongrats on your tasty award!

Sammie is a furry special girrrrl!

Tank woo fur sharing the pikhs too!

We'll khonkhur: that pikh is khwite pawesome!

Paws khrossed fur your father! My Doggy Nanny's brother just had surgery fur one - he must be the same stubborn fella as her brother is!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Kathy Mocharnuk November 6, 2009 at 3:06 PM  

OOOH Kidney stones, I have heard those are really painful, we will definately be sending good thoughts his way.

I LOVE the picture of Marge standing and sniffing, she just looks in control of her world in that.
She looks like she really likes that fish and her and the fishes colors look so pretty next to each other!

Looking at your pictures I want to leave right now and go to the beach...that looks so peaceful!

Frankie Furter and Ernie November 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Marge, I'll keep my paws crossed for your grandpa.
I liked that picture on the beach too. Could you CROP it and get rid of the leash that way???
I liked seeing you just relaxing and enjoying the business of being a DAWG.

Ruby and Penny November 6, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

Congrats on that sweet award.
We're sending lots of doxie healing rayz to your dad.
Love Ruby & Penny

KB November 6, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

What a great walk! I haven't been to an ocean beach in 10 years. But, when I lived near one, I loved the times of year when no one else was there. My Labs ran and swam to their hearts content!

I hope that your dad feels better soon. I've heard they're very painful.

Gus, Louie and Callie November 6, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

Oh we sure would enjoy the beach. Sticks and birds what more could you ask for..
Sure hope Gramps gets better really soon.. Big Heeler vibes go out to him..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Deborah November 6, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

I will keep your Dad in my prayers. My Mother is VERY stubborn and will do nothing she is suppose to!
You live in a beautiful area.It would be so nice to live by the beach! Marge is pretty lucky!

BRUTUS November 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

Hope your dad is better soon - my husband suffers from the same problem, seems to run in his family! Those were great pictures of Marge - maybe you could get the leash photoshopped out?? Have a great weekend!

Michelle
p.s. I still am scatterbrained - hope to email you tomorrow - don't give up hope that it might actually happen :)

Dexter November 6, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

Good thoughts to your dad. I have had kidney stones. They are no fun.

Mango Momma

NCmountainwoman November 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Fingers and paws crossed here for your dad. Dang! Those kidney stones are soooo painful.

Carolyn November 6, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Wow! Everything is still so green in your neck of the woods!

How lucky you are to enjoy the beach every season. I always thought the beach in the winter was pretty neat.

Sending good vibes to your Pops!

-C

Lorenza November 6, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

Sure you had a very nice walkie!
I have my paws crossed for your Dad!
I hope everything goes well!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

D.K. Wall November 7, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

Love seeing Marge handle the noise of kids. One of mine, Kiska, has mostly overcome her fears of humans, but she still really struggles around early teens (like 10-14), especially boys. I am sure her past explains that, but I don't really want to know why. But we walk her every day and around people as often as possible. Amazing watching them rebound, isn't it?

RILEY AND STAR MY MALTESEKIDS November 7, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

Hi Sam,

Mommy just said a little prayer for your grampa. Hope he gets better and can come home soon!

Riley and Star.

Cyndi and Stumpy November 7, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

there you go!! Making me hoesigk, again... I miss the beach in the off season (in the summer, too!!!)

Golden Samantha November 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

Love those shots of Marge on her walkie! What beautiful places you have to explore near your home!!! That empty beach looks pawesome! But very sorry about your dad - hope he is feeling much better very quickly - I've heard that they can be very painful. Sending our good thoughts...
Hugs xo
Sammie

Martha November 7, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

Congratulations on your award - looks good enough to eat!
Lovely pics of Marge on her walk - just loved the beach pics. Looked amazing.
We are sorry to hear about your Dad and send our best wishes to him - hope he feels better soon!
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xxx

Astrid Keel November 8, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

great pictures! we are keeping your dad in our thoughts and prayers.
xoxo,
Brownie

PoochesForPeace November 8, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

Sorry about your dad. It looks like Marge had a good time at the beach! :) I've been behind on my reading, just now getting caught up.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP