Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Something's Fishy

First, I wanted to acknowledge this great award given to our blog by Cookie and Cinnamon. Thanks for the thought, guys! We think you're pretty lovely, too. :)


--------------------------------------------------

We've also been wondering about the disappearance of some great blogs.  We've got a whole lot of blogs that we follow, but some seem to have not been updated in a while.  Evgeni was a beautiful Dobie friend that we made, but he hasn't been around much.  Same with Kitchen Gone to the Dogs, who had a really cool and creative twist on their blog.   We also miss reading the tales of Addie the Standard Poodle, but we know her mama's been busy lately.  Pedro has been undergoing some construction at his house from what we understand, but we hope he comes back soon, too.  Still others have been slower to update than they used to be, but we're hoping that they'll be back in full force soon.  We miss our friends!

(We're also not letting the new blogs of Trent, Gatsby, and Cain, Abel & co., all of our forum friends, off the hook!)

Hope you all find the time to pop back up in the blogosphere soon.

-------------------------------------------------

Since I was upset about our agility class yesterday, Marge and I took it easy today.  We had a walk in the field this afternoon, but I realized that Marge needed to potty, so we headed home rather quickly.  (Aside from her tomboyish marking of trees, she prefers the safety of her backyard to do her business.)

After I got home from school, and before the Yankee game, which I'm currently watching, we went out on a walk on the road.  It borders the field, so we walk on the sidewalk side first, where Marge ususally has to pass a couple of people.  On the way back, we cross the street to walk in the cross at the field's edge, so we can be totally alone.  We wandered a little farther down the road tonight, and I'm pleased to say that Marge did really well and was happy to explore.  She's put on about 4 lbs since February or so and, although she definitely could have used the weight, I do not want her gaining any more.  So, exercise is key.

Then, we had a very short agility session in my yard - just weaves and stair contacts, with absolutely no corrections.  Marge was very enthusiastic.  Next week, depending on the difficulty of the course, I may opt to switch it up for Marge's sake and run her in a very easy, different sequence.  Agility needs to be fun!  Even if we remain at the Novice level forever, I consider it a miracle for us to have even gotten this far.  Looking at the pictures of Marge when she was in the shelter and then comparing them with the professional trial photos sure is an eye-opener.  She has come such a long way.

After our backyard training, Marge came inside and played with her bright orange fish toy.  It reminds me of a Goldfish cracker.  She was instantly attracted to it when I brought it home a week or so ago; maybe she's drawn to the color.



Looks like a good night to me.

20 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! November 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

Khongrats on your award!

Woo are khorrekht: we get worried when some of our furiends disappear!

I've got some I see around but they don't khome by my khorner anymore - it puzzles me but I have to respekht their decisions -

It does look as if that toy is a hit!

Great choice!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: We were so hoping fur a GRRRRREAT Game 7 but as I paw this I'm not thinking it was meant to be THIS year!

Sue November 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM  

Sound like you two had a good day.It's good to look back sometimes and see where you started. It puts things in perspective. I think you two have accomplished a lot just since I've known you.

Dexter November 5, 2009 at 6:07 AM  

Yuh, sometimes our bloggy pals just get tired of blogging or bad things happen in their lives and we miss them a lot.

Good to see your happy self. One of the doggies at Pee-Wee's attention school has a toy like that and he prefers to work for it over foodables. Can you imagine?

Slobbers,
Mango

KB November 5, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

A nice relaxed evening sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I love that you thought back to where Marge started and how far she's come. It's a huge transformation that's still happening. She is so lucky to have found you!

Frankie Furter and Ernie November 5, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

YES !! This is more like it. Dog fun instead of all work and no play.
Congratulations on the Yankee win.

Golden Samantha November 5, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

Congrats on your bootiful and well-deserved award! Love the pix of Marge playing with her orange cracker - she looks so happy! And she certainly HAS come so far under your expertise and huge amounts of love and attention! Miracle and magical Marge! We're very happy about the Yanks for you, and also, we've often thought of a couple of blog pals who've gone MIA. We hope they'll be back soon! (We've been horribly MIA lately and are just catching up - thanks for all your nice comments!)
Huge Hugs xo
Sammie

Kathy Mocharnuk November 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

It is not easy sometimes to stand back and look at the big picture and the long term training goals, and how you want things to look in the end-but you seem to have that clearly in your mind- and I think because you are NOT pushing and willing to do easier things to get a faster, happier dog you will actually progress way faster and have much nicer results when you do get there, and to look at all the progress Marge has been making, gosh just in the past couple of months she has come so far.
I love the pictures of Marge playing!

Carolyn November 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

Is it a durable fishy? Cooper & Gwen need durable stuffies as they are pretty quick to gut them!

So what would you consider to be a correction when practicing agility? I'm curious because I *don't think* I was ever taught to correct...just ignore mistakes and heavily reward when Coop does it right. Maybe correcting Cooper would help him once in a while?

-C

Sam November 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

When I say corrections, I don't mean in the physical sense like a collar pop (I don't use any of those). I simply mean saying "uh-oh" or "try again," for example, if she misses her weave entry or breaks her contact position. Instead of doing so, I didn't give any no-reward marker, such as those, nor did I bring her back to do it again.

Cinnamon and Mint November 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

Glad to hear you had a relaxing afternoon.

I find that Cinnamon shuts down if I keep saying 'No' or something denial when she makes mistakes. So, no corrections might help get her focused sometimes. As you say, agility, or any dog sport, needs to be fun!

Love the photos of Marge playing with an orange fish toy!

Ruby and Penny November 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

Congrats on your award. We love your new toy. It does look like a Goldfish cracker.
Love Ruby & Penny
Pees - what method did you use to train weave pole. 2x2? If so how long did it take Marge to catch on.

Sam November 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

Marge learned to weave exclusively on V Weaves, also known as Weave-O-Matics. I'm lucky that she picked up on the entry point so well, because I've heard that a lot of dogs who learned on V Weaves have trouble entering.

Here's a post from our early weave training days.

http://margebl0g.blogspot.com/2009/06/weave-weave-weave.html

Gus, Louie and Callie November 5, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

What a great toy you got.. Can we come and play too?

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Carolyn November 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Oh, I gotcha!

I'll try an "oopsie" next time we have time to do some agility work.

Thanks!

-C

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart November 5, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

Yippee for agility at home and fish toys.

Ruby and Penny November 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

Thanks for the info on the weave poles. Our trainer uses the 2x2 method. I don't think it is working to well for Penny & I.
Ruby & Penny's mom

The Army of Four November 5, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

Woooo, I like that colorful fishy! Can I come over and play!?!?
Luv,
Dave

Kari in Alaska November 6, 2009 at 12:50 AM  

It is very sad when bloggers stop or slow down! I love reading all the updates and start to feel like I know the people and dogs!

Golden Samantha November 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

Hi Marge - just stoppin by again to tell you I have an award for you over my way!
Hugs xo

Astrid Keel November 8, 2009 at 3:35 PM  

what a great toy!

I hope your bloggie furiends find time to pop back and update... sometimes it's hard to find time when work gets ugly, but I try to keep momster posting at least twice a week (sometimes I'm not too successful...!)

xoxo,
Brownie

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP