Friday, May 21, 2010

Spring Weather and Revisiting My Youth

Seems like the cold weather is behind us for good - it's definitely starting to heat up here! Though Marge is still faring pretty well behaviorally, she acts as though all the energy has been zapped out of her.


This was Marge on our walk yesterday in the big field. I'm so glad that she was comfortable enough to flop down to the ground while out there. She did it again in my front yard this morning. We sat there for a few minutes, soaking up the sun.


Later on last night, my sister and I revisited our childhood and went through container upon container of old toys to be sold at our garage sale tomorrow. (It made me feel really old. I'm hitting the big 2-0 in July. I just finished my Sophomore year of college. Where did the time go?)

My nostalgia didn't stop me from pestering my sweet, tolerant dog with my old treasures. She was totally baffled by these wind up toys that must be at least 10, maybe 12 years old. They danced across the floor one last time. We have ENDLESS other animal figurines - barnyard animals, dogs, zoo animals, sea creatures. We have lots of horses, too, but I admit that those were retained due to their extreme sentimental value. Hopefully some kid will get some amusement out of these toys the way we did so many years ago.

She was especially fascinated by this little plastic Woody (voiced by my man, Tom Hanks - that's my girl, Marge ☺). We were all big Toy Story fans in my house in the good ol' days. My mom's sentimental attachment kept this one from going in to the massive (and I mean massive) pile of "things to be sold" too. Marge kept trying to bite his cowboy hat off. I strapped him to her collar. She walked around a bit, then twisted her head around to knock him off. My sweet, tolerant girl! If not for all of her fear issues, she likely would have been a great playmate for children. That's okay, I'm not giving her up any time soon.


We're selling lots of big stuff, too. Games, a doll house, and my unbelievably large collection of Barbie Dolls (seriously, I don't know how or why I had so many - and yes, my collection included Barbie dogs and Barbie horses and a Barbie vet and pet shop and all the stuff you'd expect to find in an animal lover's childhood Barbie set). My mom has some other stuff she's getting rid of, too. I'm selling some lightly-used clothes that no longer fit me, jewelry that I'll never wear, handbags, and a DVD or two. May as well make some money off of the things that are just lying around the house collecting dust. It's amazing what people will buy. Wish us luck!

23 comments:

Rebecca May 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

Marge, That grass sure does look green, what's it like? We have rocks, sand, and dirt out here - roll around in it for me, it looks fun!
Daisy Mae

Stella May 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM  

Marge, thats what I like to do, lay on the grass and soak up some sun, its good for the bones!

And Sam, you can probably pay for the rest of your education with the Barbie stuff if you have taken good care of it, you did, didn't you?

Good luck on the sale and get a sunny day!


Kisses,
Stella and Jo

Sue May 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

Are all the Barbies naked with hair that sticks straight up? All my sister's were.

Have fun with your sale. I hope you make a bundle.

Martha May 21, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

Oh we do wish you luck selling all your old toys etc
We desperately need to have a house clearance ourselves - you have inspired us.
Marge flopping down in the grass is exactly what Martha and Bailey have been doing over the last couple of days.
It is very warm in Scotland at the moment - we are trying to leave walks until later when it is cooler but Martha insists on her routine!
Have a good weekend.
xxx

Frankie Furter and Ernie May 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

Hey Marge, did that Cowboy toy say, Get along little Dawgie???? hehehe

Two French Bulldogs May 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

Youook comfy Marge. Don't you justice the sun. Mom you are still a baby. Congrats on completing your sophmore year. That's great. Cool pictures. Have fun at the garage sale
Benny. & Lily

Cyndi and Stumpy May 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM  

I hope you make a boatload of bucks! Marge is such a cutey! She and Woody look great together!

Kathy Mocharnuk May 21, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

OOOH I wish we were around, my kids would love to buy the barbie stuff!!! Is it going to be sad selling all those treasures? Are you going to see the new toy story coming out? hahaha, what a champion Marge is with the toys marching across the floor....
Bet it was a fun night revisiting all the old memories!

houndstooth May 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

Oh, my sister and I still go down the Barbie aisle together and have a good giggle from time to time! The things we made poor Barbie and her friends do!

AC May 21, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

I still have a pileup of old kids stuff. To my defense, it often gets put to good use...rocking horse and dollhouse to my neighbors girl...a stack of books for my firend's baby shower. Always an excuse to not sell the fun stuff=)

I hope the sale goes well. And congrats on the finished school year!! It's gotta feel good to be done with classes for awhile.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! May 21, 2010 at 8:21 PM  

Merdie and I vote it got too warm today!

It was ikhky hot and humid!

Good lukhk on Saturday!

Once upon a time my mom had LOTS of Barbie stuffs too - of khourse, she was born around the same time Barbie was!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

The Army of Four May 21, 2010 at 11:31 PM  

We got sun here today and all of a sudden it's HOT! For Siberians, anyway.
Good luck at the garage sale!
Play bows,
Zim

Cinnamon and Mint May 22, 2010 at 12:46 AM  

I love the photo of Marge with Woody attached to her collar!

Diana May 22, 2010 at 6:52 AM  

I hope you make lots of money!! I have a few things Ive kept from my kids too. I have this shirt that my son loved to wear when he was 2yo. He would cry when I put it in the washer. So of course I had to keep that shirt. lol Diana

BRUTUS May 22, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

We took advantage of a rainy day yesterday to do some serious spring cleaning as well. Got the car all loaded up with things for Goodwill, so Brutus & I are heading out to make a donation today! Did your internet get fixed? We posted two JWW videos on YouTube if you want to see them (search brutus french bulldog agility)

Michelle & Brutus

Amy / Layla the Malamute May 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

I love garage sales. I had no idea, until I saw a show on TV that had a garage sale, that some people actually try to negotiate the prices. At a garage sale! I don't mean big items like TVs and furniture, I mean if a coffee mug is 75 cents, they'll offer a quarter. I was horrified!

I love childhood toys. I wish I still had a lot of mine. I had a ton of Barbies too.

Good luck at the garage sale!

Unknown May 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

Looks like she is really enjoying the weather! I love that first picture. Good luck with your sale tomorrow!

Lorenza May 22, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

Reading your post my mom remembered when she got her first Barbie. It was a mexican version of Barbie (to not say a fake one). My grandparents did not have enough money for real ones but my mom loved the one she got!
Glad you are having a nice weather!
Good luck at your sale!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Chris and Ricky May 23, 2010 at 7:25 AM  

It's fun going through boxes of old stuff - mom went through lots of boxes of letters, cards and concert programs last summer and had a blast remembering when. Time does fly by - you're still super young though! :)

tula monstah May 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

Hey Marge- what a faBUlous suntan! I'm with ya.. the cool grass is ooh so relaxing. hope your mom is selling Woody- so you don't have to wear him on your head! silly..

lots of kissies,
tula

Peeses: thanks for noticing my play bow to Norwood!

Natasha May 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

Garage sales are fun! And isn't it great go through all your stuff that bring back old memories. I know how that feels!

I can still remember playing with my Barbie pet shop. I loved that darn thing.

Anonymous May 24, 2010 at 12:43 PM  

Yes, Samantha; I did receive your email, but it looks like I'm checking my blog more than my email lately! lol!

I love the idea of a garage sale, but I never own enough things to make any kind of money off of them.

I do love the picture of Marge with Woody tied to her back. lol!

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart May 25, 2010 at 10:31 PM  

Rather than feel jealous of your youth, I'm going to focus on the fun fact that I have blogger friends who think the BIG 2-0 is old. :o)

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP