Friday, April 22, 2011

Bridled

I rode a horse today.


Yes. For the first time in two years, I rode a horse.

I took advantage of horse rentals a a stable in nearby NJ this evening.

The riding itself was a bit rocky.  They gave me a school horse named Webster, who is apparently "known for being a butt" but extremely safe. All in all, he took good care of me - I remained in the (English!) saddle for the full 30 minutes without a problem.  However, he very much wanted to leave the ring while I was riding and kept hovering by the gate.  I also think he was less than impressed with the fact that I have totally forgotten how to use my legs.  I can't blame him for that.  I didn't even get him up to a trot - I was too focused on actually trying to steer and move forward and keep him out of other people's way.

But, it was amazing to feel that excitement again, to experience the sounds, sights and smells of a horse barn.  Unfortunately, I've been unable to duplicate that feeling so far in the other activities I'm involved in.  That's not to say I don't love dogs and dog training.. but it's just different.

Much to Louie's dismay, I pondered the rest of the evening wondering if I was going to ride for real again soon, as well as when and where that would occur.

No, I don't have to make those decisions tonight or tomorrow or the next day (or ever, really), but I love doing this so much and quite simply can't help but think about it now that I've gotten a taste of it again.

How would it even fit in?  Would I be able to balance school, physical therapy volunteering, my honors project, and all of Marge's activities with yet another thing on the agenda?  Would it compromise my participation in any of those things?

How would I afford it?  Louie says to just take money out of the savings account I have going, but I really prefer to just use money that is being brought in now, from my newspaper route.

How do I want to do it?  Half-leasing is out now that my summer is busier than I expected it to be. I can go for some expensive private English lessons at this place to refresh my memory and then continue horse rentals (which are relatively cheap), or I could switch back over to my old discipline, Western, and go elsewhere for riding.  One Western stable mentions a work/ride program on their website, which could be of interest to a college student unwilling to part with any more of her money (and a person who enjoys mucking stalls and picking hooves just as much, if not MORE THAN riding).  But that implies some sort of set schedule, which brings us back to question #1.

Louie felt bad that I had this all on my mind.  I told him to not feel bad.. I am actually happy, in a way, that I'm this confused, because it reveals to me that I still really enjoy this stuff after all of this time.  I am a horse person and that's one thing that all of the sadness, disappointment, drama and sheer TIME in the world can't take away from me.

10 comments:

An English Shepherd April 22, 2011 at 5:31 AM  

Horse riding sounds fun, if complicated! :-)

Diana April 22, 2011 at 6:35 AM  

So glad you got to ride!! And sometimes its fun to think about "what ifs".

Chris and Ricky April 22, 2011 at 7:16 AM  

I think it is totally awesome that you rode last night! Hope you find a way to get back in the saddle.

Two French Bulldogs April 22, 2011 at 10:03 AM  

Bet it felt great to ride again. Mommas neice works in one of those stables around there somewhere
Benny & Lily

Natasha April 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM  

Great that you got to ride again! I really miss riding too (I couldn't handle the way horses were being treated at our local stables). Hope that you'll work out a way to continue being with horses more regularly.

Kathy Mocharnuk April 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM  

I had a horse when I was younger, and every time I get on a horse, boy.....it just all comes back and I want to be able to hang out, work with a horse and ride soooo much. For a short time I did have a friend of a friend who needed someone to exercise her horse and I got to do that for awhile...maybe you should call and talk about the work for rides type program, it would give you a full picture of being around the horses and bet that would be way more fulfilling. Perhaps you could do some sort of really early morning thing, a short time working and then a nice ride and then get to your day all recharged-could be a matter of carving out a place if it feels like you want it to be a priority, or you could wait until things settle down, but in my experience those days never come, heheheheh

Kari in Alaska April 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM  

Ive always enjoyed riding the horses who are know for being pains :)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

KB April 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM  

So many people are bored with their lives. You're lucky - you have so many things that you love to do that you don't know how to fit them all in! That's a great problem to have.

I'm glad that you enjoyed riding so much!

Dawn April 24, 2011 at 7:20 AM  

It's obviously in your blood and if you can figure out a way to get at least a little bit of horse into your life you'll be happier! I'm glad you got to ride again!

ForPetsSake April 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM  

Oftentimes, I find a decision easier to make once I've "talked it out" so to speak. I hope we were a good sounding board for you. If you love it, you'll find the time and money :)

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP