Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Goodbye Open

I should be wrapping up my studying for my massive Anatomy and Physiology test tomorrow, but I do not want to read a single thing more about bones or muscles!  And, I promise I have not forgotten about my blog or all of your blogs - I have just been so swamped with things to do.

We had our second day of April agility on Sunday.  Marge did phenomenal!

We started off with Excellent Jumpers with Weaves.  The course was tougher than the one on Friday, but I was confident going in.  I was also the first dog on the line from the 20-inch height class; I moved myself up due to a possible time conflict with our later class, Open Standard.


It started off well enough; Marge holding her start line and jumping beautifully tight over the second jump in response to my lead-out pivot.  As she sailed over the 4th jump, I cued her to weave, but she ran past them.. again. 




She came right back and fired through the weaves, jumped the double and took the correct tunnel entrance (good girl!).  Coming out of the tunnel, I think I neglected to help her set her line for the next few jumps, and, because of that and her tremendous speed, she took a bar.. her first ever to come down in competition.

But, the rest of the course was flawless.  We ended up with just those two faults.  Not bad for our second time in Excellent Jumpers.

The wait for Open Standard was not very long at all.  I walked my course, with Louie hanging on to Marge just outside the ring, and it was not long before we were in the ring again.

But, before it was our turn, we got to see Amy & Layla pick up their first Open leg.  Amy said that maybe we we brought her good luck.. and I told her that I hoped that would do the same for Marge and me!

(Also, Marge did really well with Layla.  They were very comfortable with one another. I think that if they see each other a few more times, Marge will get all wiggly and play bow and stuff.)

Layla in Open Standard

Marge started out a little wide, nearly missing the third jump after extending herself over the double.  Then, she almost missed the dog walk contact; I'm not sure whether she slipped on the down ramp, got distracted, or what.  But, she did manage to keep those two front feet in the yellow.

The middle of the course went very well, with Marge holding her A-Frame and hopping on the table happily (and I praised her profusely for it!).  She got a little discombobulated at the chute AND was up to her teeter antics (exacerbated by the fact that she got WAY ahead of me), but we held on for a clean run.  GOODBYE OPEN STANDARD!




The effort earned us a third place.


Louie and I hung around for a little while after, and Marge (a.k.a Northbound Fly By Night OA OAJ) was content to doze in the sun.  It makes me so happy to see her this relaxed at a trial and it was really a picture perfect day.


And there you have it - our weekend.  We'll be trialing this Saturday, too, at a new site located on a farm out in Long Island.  We'll see how our debut in Excellent Standard treats us!

21 comments:

Two French Bulldogs April 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM  

Congratulations Marge. Great job!! Tell mom no more studying
Benny & Lily

Raegan April 5, 2011 at 11:41 PM  

CONGRATULATIONS! The two of you are such an incredible team. So great to see Marge so relaxed, and you can really see her brown points!

Lindsay April 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM  

That's awesome!! Congratulations!

Kathy Mocharnuk April 6, 2011 at 1:14 AM  

AWESOME, you guys ROCK! Huge Congrats!

Unknown April 6, 2011 at 6:21 AM  

Woohoo! Well done! You guys are an incredible team!!!

I didn't know you knew Layla the Malamute and Amy :) I bet Marge had lots of fun with her!

Chris and Ricky April 6, 2011 at 7:55 AM  

Hurray!! Congratulations to you and Marge OA, OAJ!!!!! She did great and my gosh can she fly around a course!!

houndstooth April 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM  

Marge looks great! Congratulations to both of you! Good luck next weekend, too! :)

Cyndi and Stumpy April 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM  

Marges name and titles are pretty impressive. But then, so isn't she!

Kari in Alaska April 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM  

Congrats on being past open standard!!!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Tucker The Crestie April 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM  

Great job to both of you - what a celebration of your working partnership! And a sunny day to boot - can't beat it! :)

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ April 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM  

Great job, Marge. Too bad about the weave poles, and you do them so very well too.

Take a break from the books, it will go better if you get away for a bit.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Amy / Layla the Malamute April 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM  

Congratulations again!! That's so great you're in Excellent for both classes.

She was FLYING through that Jumpers course! She looks awesome!

Thanks for taking Layla pics! My email is: howserbowser@Hotmail.com

I have 2 pics of Marge, but unfortunately not while she's doing the course, just while she's chilling. They're on my Day 3 post, the one right before my foot post.

You're right, it was in that section where it was falling down. I figured since it was lower it would be even easier to step over, but I didn't take into consideration that the flap was facing the ring, so as I stepped over it my foot got caught in the folded over part and that's what tripped me.

Russ videotaped Marge's Open STD run too. Your angle was better, but if you want to see another shot of it, let me know and I'll send you the link too. I have it on Youtube but it's unlisted so it's not findable unless you have the URL.

Good luck next weekend! I'm going to send in my entry for the Staten Island Sunday and cross my fingers I'll be able to walk/run by then :(

Sara April 6, 2011 at 7:14 PM  

Sam, I'm so happy for you! I remember how discouraged you were feeling last trial season, and boy, things have sure turned around.

Congratulations on your amazing accomplishments this weekend! Marge is a rock star!

Muttsandaklutz April 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM  

Brilliant!! Huge congrats :-)

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart April 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM  

Happy news. Congrats.

ForPetsSake April 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM  

I am so impressed!!! Those were terrific runs from what I would observe to be a very confident pup. (I'm glad to hear that she and Layla got along well - maybe you both could train together and this could bring her out of her shell more. I want tp also say you look very comfortable and in control of her out there. Great job, team - tat looks like alot of long hours rewarded :)

Diana April 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM  

Well done!!! Congrats!!

Kirby, CGC April 9, 2011 at 6:31 PM  

Way to go! You guys always look like you are having fun and I enjoy watching your videos.

Hope your test went well!

Kirby's mom

Stella April 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM  

Hi Sam and Marge, Congrats on your excellent work, Marge, I am so impressed!

Sam, I want to get in touch with Amber but she isn't blog writing at all, can you help me?

Cheers and hugs,
Jo and Stella
letoile at arvig dot net

Sue April 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM  

Great job! You two are old pros at this now. It's hard to believe she's the same dog.

KB April 11, 2011 at 4:17 PM  

Wow! After the doldrums last fall (was it last fall?), you and Marge have been tearing through agility and having a blast. Marge looks so happy and relaxed. And that's the most important thing!

And, she looks great in ribbons :)

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP