Thursday, May 5, 2011

Handling, Handling


Tuesday's class was a handling class in every sense of the word.

My instructor told me that I prefer not to handle, but to do one thing by myself, then have Marge do something else, then do something again, etc.  That's why I'm so good at rear crosses. I don't disagree with her.  The idea of actively handling around an entire course is something I'm still trying to do, especially at trials.

Course 1 (Black Circles)

By far, the hardest of the two.  The beginning, surprisingly, was not bad.  After the Dog Walk is when it got tricky.

I believe I front crossed between 9 and 10 to break up the threadle.  The 12,13,14,15 sequence was pretty nighmarish.  I did a front between 13 and 14, but it was easier said than done.  That said, I definitely appreciate all of the front cross practice, despite the fact that I'd much rather handle everything with rears.

Course 2 (White Circles)

Much more relaxed.  I don't think we really flunked on any part of it.  I handled the pinwheel with a front cross after 9 and then another between 11 and the A-Frame.  Worked wonderfully.

I'm excited for my trial this weekend and hoping I'll pick up some Q's in either of the Excellent classes.  I was so excited to be hanging out with Amy & Layla on Sunday, but it turns out that they can't make it. :(

10 comments:

Amy / Layla the Malamute May 5, 2011 at 10:45 PM  

OMG - I HATE threadles. I mentally understand how to do them, but my body hasn't gotten the information and I just fail. I hate, hate hate them. That course looks so hard. I prefer rear crosses too, and Layla definitely prefers them.

I'm so upset I won't be there! It turns out Ann will be there tomorrow and Sunday. But at least we're both in for Bayshore! Layla (and I) are excited to have some company under our canopy :)

Sara May 6, 2011 at 7:10 AM  

Good luck at your trial this weekend!

andrea May 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM  

Have a BLAST - and ENJOY what you learn and earn :)
Those courses look like wicked fun ... even Brody might spin off in a couple of spots :) Sally would have been all over

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart May 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM  

I wish Lilly hadn't given up on agility classes so soon. We only got through front crosses before we flunked out. I never did learn to do rear ones.

I suppose there is a difference between using a "handling system" and simply using verbal cues and body movement to get through the course.

I'd be happy just to run. :o)

Unknown May 6, 2011 at 10:35 AM  

Good luck for the trial!!! Have fun too!

Natasha May 6, 2011 at 6:42 PM  

Good luck this weekend!

Dawn May 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM  

Good luck this weekend!!! AND HAVE FUN!

Kathy Mocharnuk May 7, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

I think it is pretty easy to lead a dog around a course-esp if the dog is a little slower-pointing and not leaving the dog any chance to make a mistake.....I think it takes a long time to really come together as a team and learn how to really handle a course-you guys are doing great and Marge is getting faster and more driven all the time-which is a tribute to what you are doing

Chris and Ricky May 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM  

Hope your trial is going well!!

Dog Forum May 8, 2011 at 6:57 AM  

Good luck at the trail, hope it is going well, can't wait to hear how you got on!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP