Tuesday, May 3, 2011

VIP Sunday

On Sunday, we had a very, very special visitor to the MargeHouse.

Roxanne from Champion of My Heart was in town for a journalism conference and bravely made the trek from Manhattan to Staten Island to see us, which I was overjoyed about.  (I totally would have went to NYC, but she wanted to meet Marge, too.. and, aside from passing through in a car, Marge will likely never set foot in Manhattan in her life.)

She and Marge hit it off right away, undoubtedly due to the fact that Roxanne is one of very few people (sadly) that Marge has encountered who knows how to approach a shy or cautious dog in the correct manner.

Aside from some initial cautiousness, Marge was very wiggly with Rox and welcomed a good deal of petting and cookies (though all I had in the house were some not-so-high-value chicken jerky type things).

After a little while, Marge left the room and went to sleep on the couch, obviously unconcerned about the stranger on her soil.  We followed her lead and sat for a while in the same room.

Then, Marge plopped right down on the floor in the middle of the room while my mom, sister, Roxanne and I conversed before the two of us went to grab some grub.

They enjoyed a smooch (photo shown here) as they said farewell to each other.  We then departed for lunch and, eventually, the airport with Louie for Roxanne's flight home.

Whether she knows it or not, Roxanne is someone who I admire greatly and someone who has had a huge influence on my knowledge of and interest in fearful dogs.  I began reading her blog, Champion of My Heart, in 2009, shortly after I created MargeBlog.  I find myself referring to her posts and e-mails often, which contain a wealth of info about fearful dogs and dogs in general.

Suffice to say, I was very happy to meet and spend time with a personal idol and, most importantly, a good friend.

She even took me inside the front doors of La Guardia airport, my first time in an airport in 15+ years.  You know, a little desensitization for me, the flying phobe. :)  Seems oddly appropriate for two girls who met because of their more-sensitive-than-usual canine companions.

13 comments:

Sara May 3, 2011 at 12:35 PM  

What a fun experience...meeting a fellow Blogger in person! I'm not surprised that she wanted to meet Marge, I'd want to meet her too.

Kari in Alaska May 3, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

How fun to meet a fellow blogger In Real Life!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Katie, Maizey and Magnus May 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM  

How cool for you and Marge! I really appreciated how you said Roxanne new how to greet Marge, that is so nice to have and so rare!

It's amazing the things we learn from each others' blogs, yet we rarely meet.:) I especially appreciate this with the ones, like you and Roxanne, that share your stories about fearful dogs as I would never be where I am with Maizey without I've learned from all of you. It's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart May 3, 2011 at 1:38 PM  

Well, Sam, you are too kind. MARGE is the real VIP in this scenario. Getting to see her gave this rural, mtn girl the courage to make the trek (even with creepy guys getting yanked off the train by the cops).

I cannot tell you how happy I am to meet you, Marge, your family, Louie (thx again for the ride to the airport).

Now, you have to work on your airplane fears and perhaps consider a graduation trip to CO. Lilly would love to meet you!

Chris and Ricky May 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM  

How fun to meet a blogging friend in person!

Leslie May 3, 2011 at 4:57 PM  

Such a cute picture of Rox and your pooch. So glad you guys had fun!

Amy / Layla the Malamute May 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM  

That's so, so cool that you got to meet someone you consider a personal idol! I'd probably have cried.

It's great that Marge and Roxanne got along so well. I really hope I didn't upset Marge when we met - I didn't even think about how since she's shy, she might need a special greeting. I'm sorry if I did it wrong!

Good luck this weekend! Every junkie I encounter at work will make me so much more upset that I'm not doing agility. You know, "Instead of filling your Oxycontin that you're obviously going to sell before you leave the store, I could be trying to finish my OA title."

hornblower May 3, 2011 at 11:45 PM  

That's so neat that you guys got to meet up! Gad, I love the internet & how it's brought people so much information, support, and friendships.

Kathy Mocharnuk May 3, 2011 at 11:49 PM  

How very cool, glad you had a good time!

Two French Bulldogs May 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM  

Awesome, that must have been purrty exciting
Snuggles and snorts,
Benny & Lily

KB May 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM  

What a great surprise! I know Roxanne from dog training classes. I'm so glad that you and she met each other!

Unknown May 4, 2011 at 4:42 AM  

What a great excitement to meet your blogging friend in person! How I wish I could live a bit nearby to all my blogging friends so we could meet up sometimes. I so wish I could meet Marge and you too as two of you are a great team.

andrea May 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM  

So cool :)

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP