Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Leading Man

The first non-animal related post in MargeBlog history comes today.


I am a huge Tom Hanks fan. Huge. My fandom is not limited to Forrest Gump and Big and the other very famous movies. I have seen Tom Hanks movies that some people don't even know exist. It's a far cry from the typical it-guys of the past few years, but that's ok. I have my fun. I really enjoy his stuff, and he was super cute in the 80s. Yeah, that's before I was even born. Weird, huh?

When I found he was coming to NYC, I really wanted to go wait outside one of the studios he was filming at (he did three shows today) to see if I could catch a glimpse of him or get an autograph. The latter did not happen, thanks to the stupidity of people who tried to cross the barricade, but the former did:


(photo courtesy of my awesome boyfriend, who manned my camera while I was reduced to a pile of putty..)

I haven't done something so exciting and spontaneous in a long time. He did hang around for a few minutes when he arrived, signing autographs, but I couldn't get one because I wasn't really in a good spot. But, it was super cool to be just feet from the guy who I've watched in so many of my favorite movies. I'm going to try again next time he's in town - I'd assume in just a couple of months to promote Toy Story 3!

In addition to how happy I was to see him, I had such a fun time getting out of the house with my awesome boyfriend. It was a picture perfect time. Louie has jokingly dubbed Tom my "leading man," but in reality it is he himself who is my leading man. Seriously - I wouldn't have ridden in a taxi cab and stood in a crowd of people by myself, nor would I have gone to eat at Bubba Gump Shrimp (yes, that's right!) in solitude! I think I really needed a day like this to break up the monotony of the daily grind and put a big ol' silly grin on my face.

I was originally going to write this post from Marge's perspective, because, surely, she would find a human going to see a fellow human to be a complete waste of time. Not to worry - Marge was not at all neglected today. She got a nice afternoon walk before I left for NYC, where she socialized with a Shih Tzu boy friend of hers, and then a night walk where she literally wagged her tail the whole time. I guess she was happy to see me after my little excursion.

26 comments:

Martha March 5, 2010 at 3:13 AM  

Sounds like a fun day out - Tom Hanks included!
Sadly I have now grown out of wanting to go see any human but I remember the time I stood for hours in the hope of just a glimpse of Paul McCartney!
xxxx

Dexter March 5, 2010 at 5:39 AM  

Woo hoo! We like that Tom Hanks guy too. Do you remember the TV show he did called Bosom Buddies? That is fun to watch now that he is a big important actor dude.

No worries about Marge. My guess is that she is not a big Forrest Gump fan.

Slobbers,
Mango

Chris and Ricky March 5, 2010 at 6:54 AM  

Wow - you got to see Tom Hanks in person! Very cool!

Sara March 5, 2010 at 7:17 AM  

How exciting! It is always thrilling to see a "star" up close and in person.

I was in NYC once, and my sister & I were watching them film a movie in Greenich village. Unfortunately, we could tell the people were the "doubles", not the real Steve Martin & Goldie Hawn. To our surprise the real Steve Martin came up behind us! I asked for his autograph, his body guard gave me a firm "NO", but Steve looked at me, and said, "Oh, for you, OK." I'll never forget it.

Diana March 5, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

Oooh, that is exciting. And a great picture to boot. Diana

houndstooth March 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

Oh how cool! We all need a change of pace once in a while, and that sounds like fun one! Congrats on getting the picture!

Frankie Furter and Ernie March 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

How grrreat is that???? Lucky you.

Dog_geek March 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

Wow - your boyfriend must be quite a catch, taking pictures of another man for you! :o)

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly March 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

Congrats!!! Hopefully, you'll get that autograph next time!

Have a pawsome weekend!
Woofs and Kisses!

Fred March 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

Awesome! I liked him in Turner and Hooch. Of course, I liked Hooch better. ;P

AC March 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

What a fun day! It's so great to get out and do something spontaneous like that. I'm glad you got to go, even if you left without an autograph. Hey, you got a nice picture! I think I'm going to pull out Forest Gump this weekend =)

And thanks for the comment you left about Kona's CGC. Having a community, even a virtual one, who gets the rollercoaster, really helps to keep me going.

Golden Woofs! SUGAR March 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM  

Woof! Woof! COOL!!! Mom just saw him on a TV interview. Lucky you. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Kathy Mocharnuk March 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

wow, that is very cool! I bet that was a TRULY awesome day!

Dawn March 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM  

Very cool!!

Kari in Alaska March 5, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

cool. im stoked for toy story 3

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! March 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

Mango beat us to it: Bosom Buddies Rokhks!

How khool a day!

Mom enjoyed seeing him on Letterman too!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

Gus, Louie and Callie March 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM  

Oh what a wonderful outing even if you didn't get the autograph. You did get the picture...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Anonymous March 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM  

I don't know who this guy is (I wasn't born in the 80s either) but my mom was real excited for you! As Marge and I both know, sometimes you gotta do stuff you wouldn't normally do to enjoy life.

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Golden Daily Scoop March 5, 2010 at 8:21 PM  

Very cool!!! Mom wishes she lived there, thinks it would be very cool!! Thx for sharing!!

lotsa licks,
Miley

Life With Dogs March 5, 2010 at 11:12 PM  

Something tells me she'd smile if she could understand. :)

Cinnamon and Mint March 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

Wow, what an exciting day you had! My humans like Tom Hanks too, although they only know his famous films.

Nellie, Yuchie, Calvert and Bailey March 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

Sounds like you had a wonderful time and we're sure Marge could tell you were super happy after your NYC adventure.

Nothing like a field trip to break up the monotony.

Tom Hanks is amazing, my first introduction to him was when he started his career on Bosom Buddies. I too am a big fan.

Best,
Claudia
Mom to N&C

Lorenza March 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM  

I am sure you enjoyed a lot being there and to see him very close!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Sue March 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

What a super day. You deserved a day off to play and have fun. Louis sounds like a keeper. Congratulations.

Muttsandaklutz March 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

What fun!! Great photo of him, I can't believe you were so close! Awesome :-)

KB March 9, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

Very cool. Especially since I just watched the first half of "Sleepless in Seattle" tonight.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP