Friday, July 30, 2010

Leash Up and Go

I did more dog walking today than I have ever done in my life.

Mable's mom is away, so I am walking her several times a day this weekend.  We walked this morning and this afternoon.


Spirit and Bailey take walks with me twice a week.  We walked for a long while this afternoon.


And my own girl, Marge, got to go on a spur-of-the-moment, 45-minute, approximately 2 mile hike this afternoon!  We decided to venture to a brand-new location.  Instead of driving to the park and starting out there, we parked on a street and picked up a section of the White Trail.  We plan to traverse the entirety of the nearly 8-mile trail once the weather gets cooler, but today decided to acquaint ourselves with a small portion of it.

We were initially worried - the trail was much too narrow for our liking and was littered with downed trees.  I thought we were going to have to turn back and find somewhere else to go. We took this picture on our way back, but we had to cross through this mess and several others to continue on the trail.


But, alas, the trail widened, there were no more downed trees, and we followed the trail markers down the trail.


We had to cross several small streets.  This portion of the trail runs right alongside a busy avenue, which intersects with several almost desolate roads.  Marge did not mind the asphalt whatsoever. We even had to pass by some houses, but I guess she was in hiking mode, and barely gave them a second look.


Marge chugged down the trail, with my sister leading the way.


Then, as usual, I posed her on a boulder.  Most of these boulders were supposedly left behind from retreating glaciers at the end of the ice age.  There are many of them in these woods.


We reached a footbridge.  I see this footbridge every time I travel in my car down the road that runs parallel to this trail.  It was cool to see it from a different perspective.


We continued on for a while into completely new territory, the trail twisting and turning, and at this point, joining up with the yellow trail (hence the multi-colored blazes on this tree).


We reached a point where several trails converged, and our trail, the White Trail, veered off into completely desolate and very dark (note the camera flash) woods.  Though I am excited to explore this trail in the near future, I didn't plan on going this far, so stopped we here for one last pose, and headed back the way we came.


We retraced our footsteps, hidden below the treetops.  We didn't see a single soul on this trail.  If not for the sound of traffic, it would have been completely silent.


I pointed out this fungi on a tree to my sister.  She took a photo-op.  She was a bit disappointed in this trail, since there was no wildlife or bodies of water to photograph.  It was a bit blasé, I'll admit, but I'll take even the most plain of forest trails over sidewalk any day.


 Marge eagerly looked ahead at my sister, who was, once again, leading us down the trail.  Marge likes everyone to stay together when we're out in the woods, and always keeps a close tab on all the people accompanying her.  After a short time, we were back at the car.


Except for a short potty walk for Mable tonight, no more dog walking for me today!  Suffice to say, I am pooped!

33 comments:

Cyndi and Stumpy July 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

I used to walk dogs/pet sit for extra cash. my calf muscles were like rocks!

Does the hike mean the temperature dropped a bit for you?

Granite State Pet Sitting July 30, 2010 at 9:16 PM  

Looks like you guys had a nice hike, we can't wait for the Fall it has been a very hot summer.
Your Friends at
http://www.lifewith5dogs.com/

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ July 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

What a great hike that must have been. Mom really enjoys taking us for long walks but it has just been too hot here.

Thanks again for your good thoughts for Phantom AND TD.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

houndstooth July 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

We've been doing some hiking here ourselves since the weather's finally nice enough to get out! I have some very happy and tired girls here tonight!

I've gotta say, though, that is a heck of a lot of dog walking! I need a nap just reading about it!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! July 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

What a great hike!

We got out fur two today since it was khooler than our recent jungle temps!

Thanks fur sharing!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Deborah July 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM  

That was a long walk! I'm tied just reading it!! Oh it's almost midnight! LOL
Have a nice weekend!
xxoo
Deborah

Lorenza July 31, 2010 at 1:24 AM  

Yes! Sounds like a lot of walkies!
I guess I'd be lost in that place with all those trails!
Glad you enjoyed it!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

George The Lad July 31, 2010 at 3:57 AM  

Hi Sam thanks for giving me the nodd about your walk, I like to say hi to the pals I follow but I must he missed you off my list! Sorry about that.
Anyways you looked to have a good walk, I'm not to keen on dark woods. Your right they do poop you out!
See Yea George xxx

Anonymous July 31, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

You go explorin in some really neat places. I like all of the logs and limbs and bushes you have to maneuver traverse. It's exciting to see what's around the next bend!

Thinkin its about time for my parents to take me someplace new again,
Roo

Chris and Ricky July 31, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

Wow -that's a lot of walking! No wonder you are tired! But your hike sounded awesome - Marge must've loved it!

The Army of Four July 31, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

What a great adventure!
Play bows,
Zim

Gus, Louie and Callie July 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

You certainly have a lovely place to walk. Mom is going to get her exercise walking all you pups...


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

KB July 31, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

My goodness, you did do a lot of walking! I'm sure all the dogs appreciated it.

Funny, around here, it seems like the most interesting trails are the ones that start out barely looking like trails due to downed trees etc. I'm glad that you went beyond that and kept on hiking!

Marge looks like a happy girl...

Diana July 31, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

Thats a lot of walking. Love the mushroom tree. Diana

Bijou July 31, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

Nice hike! Thanks for taking me along! ;)
I had to stay home with the runt while mom went shopping.

Waggles,
Bijou

Stella July 31, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

I love that Marge is the keeper of the people on your walks. It good to see a pup taking care of folks!

We were too hot to get out and do much of anything. We can't wait for it to cool off just a little.

Kisses,
Stella (and Jo)

Unknown July 31, 2010 at 6:28 PM  

I can see why you're so tired! That's a lot of dog walking. Looks like you had fun, though. Those are some cute pics. It's always nice to hear about Marge's adventures!

andrea July 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

that's a lot of walking ;)
i'm with you on the anywhere but sidewalk motto!

Kari in Alaska July 31, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

Oh my, I bet your legs will feel that tomorrow!


Don't forget, we've moved to dogisgodinreverse.com

Marg July 31, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

Hi Marge, it sounds like you have a great Momma to take you on such wonderful walks. But it looks like a wonderful place to go for walks. The doggies here would love to do that. Glad to meet you.
Have a great evening.

AC July 31, 2010 at 10:41 PM  

Hope you got to put your feet up today! Seems like a great way to sped a day though--walking dogs. Glad you and Marge were able to explore a new stretch of trail. It'll be fun to go back and explore some more!

LauraK August 1, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

Wow! Sounds like a productive day making 4 dogs very happy!

When we hike, Homer runs back and forth between everyone on the trail- he definitely likes his pack to stay together too :)

Marge is such a great "boulder poser"- such a beautiful girly! Hope you are rested up to have more adventures today!

Muttsandaklutz August 1, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

So cool the hidden gems of the city. You are inspiring me to check out the ones in my town! Fun photos too to narrate your day's adventure.

Life With Dogs August 2, 2010 at 1:22 AM  

Wow you aren't kidding. Need new shoes yet? :)

tula monstah August 2, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

Hey Marge & Sam,

Don't ya luv finding new places to walkies & the smells always get me moving too! bet it felt good to get a great walkies in--

scratchies,
tula

TC August 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

Dispatch just spent two nights up with mama and daddy, about half the sleep we were supposed to....he's one tired puppy too but says your getting tired sounds more fun.

Cinnamon and Mint August 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

Wow, lots of walking! My Mum would not be able to walk the next day due to a muscle pain if she has the same amount of walk.

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly August 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

That hike looks lovely! Marge looks like she's having a great time!

Woofs and Kisses!
The Fiesty Three

Dawn August 3, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

Great walk! Looks like Marge loved it! As did all the other doggies!

Amy August 4, 2010 at 2:34 AM  

How sweet that Marge is watching out for everyone on your hike. Those downed trees may have been the perfect thing to keep less the less determined people off the trail! There's nothing better than having the woods to yourself, is there?

Jules August 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

Looks like a very nice hike!

Jules August 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

Looks like a great hike!

mayziegal August 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

I thinks that walkie looks most wonderful! And I'm with you! I'm so much happier walking along on a quiet path in the trees without anybuddy else around than places where we might see other doggies (they kinda skeer me).

Thank you for taking us along with you!

Wiggles & Wags,
mayzie

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP