Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tuesday Training 35

I didn't get a chance to update last week about our agility class. Unfortunately, I don't remember the whole course so I can't post a map, but it was an Excellent Jumpers course and definitely one of the harder courses I've seen

We didn't do a horrible job at it, but it wasn't one of our best nights, either.  Though she was running quite fast, I didn't feel like Marge was really in to it, and I didn't feel like we were working as a team.  She made up her own course a couple of times, and sniffed a couple of others.  She also popped out of her weaves 10 zillion times (which I was a bit concerned about, especially thinking back to our doomed Open Jumpers run last Sunday at the trial when she did the same).

Things got better by the end of the night - I made sure to end the weaves on a high-note will all 12 done and we worked the A-Frame contact a bit.  She seemed MUCH better.  Marisa speculated that the cool temperatures - the first in quite some time - might have been partially to blame for her spaceyness.  Marge was in a great mood - able to sit calmly next to her least favorite dog at class (a great opportunity for playing "Look at That Dog" with her) and completely social with everyone.

So, it didn't seem like her issues were caused by stress - a big relief.  Instead, I think it's highly likely that she was simply all-agilitied-out.  After two days of trialing in the extreme heat, I can't really say I blame her.

Today, the temperature is near 100 degrees.  It's extremely likely that agility will be cancelled tonight (last night's classes were), but, if it's not, we're going to take a self-imposed holiday.  It's really hard for me to make the decision to stay home from class, since I like going so much and I paid for it.  But, between the heat and the threat of the last illegal fireworks from the 4th, it just seems like the smart thing to do.  Besides, my hope is that she'll be raring to go next week at class after this short hiatus.  Agility is supposed to be fun, after all.

Speaking of the 4th...

We managed, I guess.  All in all, it was one of the quietest Independence Days I can ever remember, but that doesn't mean Marge wasn't affected.  We got caught by some July 3rd fireworks on an afternoon walk ($#^&#@ -- couldn't you wait until the next day?), and then I knew that the walks had to be put on hold.  We also got caught outside around 5PM on the 4th in the yard.  Things got pretty bad around 9 PM, and Marge just could NOT settle down.  I had music on quite loud, but it didn't completely mask the noise. At one point, she paced throughout the whole basement, looking for a place to hide.   On the positive side, there wasn't really any time where she refused all food - so, I kept chicken breast, roast beef, and cheese cold-cuts on hand and threw them at her every time a blast went off.

Eventually, she went in her crate, which I covered in blankets in an attempt to make it as snuggly and sound-proof as possible.  I zipped up the door about halfway, leaving a section open so that I could continue to toss treats to her.

I made use of the NYPD's e-mail hotline to report illegal fireworks, and was really pleased when I looked out my window to see them in my neighborhood.  I have absolutely no problem being a snitch or a rat or a tattletale.  I will NOT just sit there doing nothing as my dog panics, and I sincerely hope that they caught people in my area.  It is completely unfair that other people (and animals) must be disrupted by these individuals' unlawful behavior.

We walked for about 10 minutes this afternoon, but it's really too hot for anything else.  Perhaps we'll do some training indoors later on.  Stay cool, everyone.

20 comments:

Sue July 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

Good for you. I report illegal fireworks, too. Illegal is illegal!

This was an exceptionally quiet 4th around here so Morgan didn't completely freak out, but she had to sleep with us for a couple nights.

houndstooth July 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM  

We feel for you with the heat! We got about two blocks from home last night before we realized that it walking was not going to happen! Stay cool! I'd stay home from class, too, if I were you. Sometimes it's just not worth it!

Frankie Furter and Ernie July 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

Yes Marge it is toooooo hot for much of anything.

Kathy Mocharnuk July 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

Glad all in all it sounds like the fourth went ok. That can be such a hard weekend for dogs. You guys have humidity too dont you? I agree the heat makes everything so hard to do. It is supposed to hit 108 here this weekend and we are supposed to trial two days, it is a few hours away and a tad cooler, but I am really worried about it, what was I thinking?

Chris and Ricky July 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

You guys are getting worse heat than we are and it's plenty hot here so I feel for you! I would want to go to class too but 100 is just too hot!

Glad you made it through the 4th of July. People here started on the Monday before the 4th with the fireworks. It gets old really fast but luckily I just bark and then get over it. Sounds like Marge did really well!

Amy / Layla the Malamute July 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

I'm glad you reported them too. I LOVEEE fireworks -- at a designated time and place. Not next to my house. The idiots next door set one off that went off UNDER their car, set off two alarms and almost blew up the car. Another one went into the street and some of the embers landed on Pat's car. Not to mention, lighting the neighbors lawn on fire! It's a good thing that there's an email hotline. Our town didn't have anything like that, we had to actually call, and nobody ended up coming.

Also, I'm glad that you're doing excellent courses in class. My class seems to be geared more toward the slower learners in class, even though a lot of the dogs are more advanced. I want to switch to a higher class to get prepared, but they're all full. Hopefully something'll open up soon.

We aren't going to class tonight either, and it's only obedience. The building has A/C, but not really good, and it's just too hot.

Stay cool!

TC July 6, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

I had a lab that freaked out from fireworks or thunderstorms. He managed to freak out the bichon too. We started making a party (throwing balls, fetching treats, playing pully pulley) when there were fireworks or storms, it helped.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! July 6, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

I hope woo are staying khool too!

Mom says no walk until the temp drops below 85 tonight -

Last night, that didn't happen until after 9pm but it was fun to be walking and have the bats following!

Great job on khalling the illegal stuffs - you might have saved a life!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

KB July 6, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

It's funny how we all have "on" days and "off" days and we can't always figure out why. It sounds like you two were just a bit burned out after your trial... I'm sure that next time will be better.

I'm glad that the 4th wasn't a disaster... and I'm glad that your PD is cracking down on illegal fireworks. I agree with you - I report illegal shooting all the time (much more common here than fireworks). It just isn't fair that the law-abiding people have to be afraid to go into certain parts of the woods on holidays because yahoos are shooting guns wildly.

Diana July 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

Good for you. Fireworks arent illegal in south carolina. So they have been going off for 4 nights now. Ugh! Today I was in the backyard with Miley and the next door neighbor set off a firework at 12noon. Poor Miley, I was just glad we were doing agility. Diana

BRUTUS July 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

Glad to hear you (& especially Marge) survived mostly unscathed. Thank goodness everyone here acted like nothing was happening, even little Carmen. And I know what you mean about agility - the heat TOTALLY zaps Brute's energy. Our classes are modified during the summer, just doing skills/drills inside lately due to the heat. I'm starting to get a little wound up about the fact that I haven't run a course in weeks, and our next trial is 10 days away (it's inside in the a/c thank goodness). So after weeks of slo-mo Brutus, I'll have to remember how to handle the zippy Brutus!

Michelle

Cinnamon and Mint July 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

It sounds like it is really hot up there! Good to hear that Marge coped with the fireworks pretty well. You did the right thing. There is no reason you need to hesitate to report illegal fireworks.

Life With Dogs July 7, 2010 at 12:25 AM  

It's too hot to do just about anything!

By the way, your blog has really evolved - it looks superb.

tula monstah July 7, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

the temps are way too hot to do anything! bet it doesn't help that marge is black either--yikes.

stay kool,
tula

LauraK July 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

I was thinking about you gals on the Fourth- I'm glad Marge made it through! We've never had a noise sensitive dog, but I always think about those poor dogs around this time of year.

Try to keep cool, your weather sounds miserable! It's been like 85 here lately, and that is HORRIBLE for us lol- we definitely have no place to talk compared to you all out East!

The Army of Four July 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

We hope you guys are staying cool!
Tail wags,
STorms

Kari in Alaska July 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

Im glad that the fourth wasn't terribly traumatic

Dexter July 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

Good news that the 4th is over and that it wasn't super hard for Marge. I have no problem with you calling the cops. Sheesh. Lighting fireworks is not a private affair.

Slobbers,
Mango

D. Og July 9, 2010 at 5:40 AM  

Foxhounds were the very first of the canine races in Great Britain to come under the domination of scientific breeding. There had been hounds of more ancient origin, such as the Southern Hound and the Bloodhound; but something different was wanted towards the end of the seventeenth century to hunt the wild deer that had become somewhat scattered after Cromwell's civil war.

T July 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

It is just too hot to do anything during the day here all summer long!!!
Regarding fireworks, we get many neighbors that shoot off the illegal ones too, sooo scary. A house 2 blocks away from me burnt down because of their neighbors carelessness. I never look forward to 4th of July, for this reason, and I do have a sound sensitive dog. Jeni, my aussie gets very stressed over the slightest bang:(

Glad to hear Marge got through it ok:)

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP