Friday, July 9, 2010

Walking as the Sun Set

Sorry for my prolonged and frequent absences from BlogLand.  I feel as though I'm in a bit of a blogging slump.  Hopefully, I'll shake out of it soon.  Please know that even if I'm not commenting on your posts, I am reading them.

I just thought I'd share the very limited number of photos that were taken during our walk along the beach last night.  It's been a long time since we'd been there.  We went this morning, too, and I am pleased to say that Marge enjoyed herself both times, for the most part, which is impressive because of how long it's been since we've walked there.

We saw this big guy, and my sister and I naturally went in to our mood of happiness/sadness/anger/excitement that only seems to come around when we're near horses.  She used to ride, too, on occasion.  For the first time in, oh, probably about 2 years, I laid my hands on a horse's neck.  How bittersweet it is to see them out and about and recall all of the things that still swirl through my mind so many years later.  But you guys don't want to hear my emotional rambles again, do you?


Really nice cop, too.  Said it was his first time stationed on the Island, and that he liked it.  We struck up a bit of a conversation as I got my horse fix.

He invited us to bring Marge over, and indeed I tried (what could be better than my two favorite species mingling with each other?) but she dug her little paws in to the ground and would NOT go near him, so I didn't push it.  I think she was totally bewildered by being so up close to him.  What is this big dog?  Why is there a man on his back?  For what it's worth, a lot of people were passing by us right at that point, so I think the stress of the whole situation that got to her.  So, we moved on.  And, I won't lie, I lifted my palm up to my nose several times and inhaled that heavenly horsey smell that I know so well.

Here she is right after our horse encounter.  You can see just a tiny bit of worry in her face.


And then, before we left, we walked by the shore for just a little while.  Marge was hot, but happy.


It was pretty nice to get out and go somewhere different for a change.  Hopefully, our summer will be filled with lots of peaceful outings like this.  I wouldn't mind the Mounted Police being around again, either.  A large part of me wants to go back tonight to see if they are there.

15 comments:

TC July 9, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

I think you should go for another walk, if not for yourself for me, I LOVE walking on the beach. Think I will go walk on the airstrip (no planes for 30 years), it's not as interesting but right out the door...Marge does look a bit worried about the horses.

Rebecca July 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

I think you should go out for another beach walk. Momma and me love seeing pictures of the beach. Are horses big dogs that smell a little funny?
Daisy Mae

Chris and Ricky July 9, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

Mom loves seeing the mounted police - the horses are so beautiful and so big! Neat that you got to be near one. Maybe next time Marge will get closer.

I thought fireworks were done here and just as I opened your blog, someone started shooting them off (in the rain, no less).

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! July 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM  

How nice you got some horse time!

As for going on about it, why not!?!

Thanks for sharing all of the experience!

Kathy Mocharnuk July 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

I really miss being around a horse...I know what you mean. Hope you see them again soon!

NCmountainwoman July 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM  

Beautiful pictures. Our dogs saw their first horses when we were on a multi-use trail. They were totally in awe of those huge animals.

Amy / Layla the Malamute July 9, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

I agree with Khyra - go on an emotional ramble. The posts about Taco were my favorites (no offense to Marge).

KB July 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Marge looks beautiful and happy in that last photo. I'm glad that you two had a great walk on the beach.

We see horses on the trails a lot so I train each of my young dogs to be calm around them. R was the funniest. He was absolutely fine with us walking next to a horse and then even being off leash while the rider galloped the horse (who was familiar with running with dogs).

Then, after the galloping which I thought was the big test, the rider climbed off the horse, and R completely freaked out. I think that he had no idea that a person sat atop the horse. I know that dogs' vision isn't great, and my guess is that he saw one great big form of the horse and rider. He assumed that they were all part of one creature!

Jules July 10, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

I have been in a bit of a blogging slup, too. I am also reading but not commenting. It looks like it was a nice walk!

Jules July 10, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

Er....I meant SLUMP.

AC July 10, 2010 at 10:28 PM  

Yah for beach walks! And for horses! I wonder what Kona would do around a horse. She saw them a couple times as a puppy, but I can't think of a time we've seen one recently...Seems like just a little nervous about the situation wasn't a bad response from Marge.

Glad you two got some outside time together.

Lorenza July 10, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

I am sure you enjoyed a lot being close to that horse!
Happy weekend!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

D.K. Wall July 11, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

Since we live beside - and drive through - a 1000 acre horse ranch, The Herd is quite used to these "big dogs" (though Natasha remains the most fascinated). The only time I have seen them intimidated was when we were walking through the ranch and a group of 20-30 horses surrounded us to check us out. Ok, the humans might have felt a little intimidated then too.

Carolyn July 12, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

Take a break from blogging and enjoy a couple weeks. It did wonders for me! :)

Sounds like Marge fared well with the horse, all considering. Cooper was exposed to livestock around 6 months at the fairgrounds. He was pretty pleased with himself when he realized the sheep would run away from him after a good bark, but the draft horses were a different story. Lol!

The beach pix rock!

Take care,

-C

Kari in Alaska July 13, 2010 at 7:39 PM  

blogging slumps happen. There are times when I only do wordless wednesday all week

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP