Thursday, November 4, 2010

Something Happened


Yesterday, around noon, I went to feed Layla before leaving to complete a school assignment with a friend. She jumped up on to the counter where her bowl is kept and I saw that she was stumbling and wobbling.  I thought that maybe she had just needed to regain her balance, but it kept occurring, even while she planted herself at the food bowl.

I had been with her the previous night until nearly 2 AM.  She was fine then; walked down the stairs, jumped up to eat her food, etc. This was very sudden. Alarmed, I cancelled my plans and took her to the vet.  He did bloodwork, which came back today.  It was clean, except for an elevated liver enzyme that the vet doesn't think is related.

He seems to think it's something neurological and wants me to take her to one of the big vet hospitals for tests and to see an internal medicine doctor.  I nearly cried at the thought of bringing her back there - I absolutely hate going to that place; I can't deny the care that they give the animals, but it's just the most heartbreaking environment ever (and this, my friends, is why I wussed out of vet school).  He mentioned the words "brain tumor" as a worst-case scenario.

She's better today; still unsteady, but not falling and stumbling as much.  She's definitely quieter than usual, content with just lying down rather than getting up and demanding food from us like she usually does.  She's eating, but I wouldn't say her appetite's great.  She's walking a bit better than yesterday, but something is definitely not right.  All so suddenly.

I'm scared and I'm upset.  This cat has just had it way too hard in her life. And she's still relatively young - only 12 or so.  It's unfair.  She's been my rock since the 4th freaking grade, since I was only 8 years old; I'd be lost without her.

23 comments:

Anna the GSD November 4, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

Oh no!! I hope you get good news from Dr. Vet! Could she have got into anything that she shouldn't have? Crossed paws and prayers for you and Layla kitty!

Maggie Mae and Max November 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

Layla is in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.

Maggie Mae and mom

Anonymous November 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

Hugs to Layla and you. Holding positive thoughts for all of you.

Roo

Cyndi and Stumpy November 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

Poor you and POOOOR Layla! She's certainly been through the ringer thisyear. I know you feel every thing Layla goes through! Time to give Sam and Layla a break!

Sending good, healing thoughts, prayers, mojo and everything else i got!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ November 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

So sorry to see this. Could she have had a stroke? We will cross our paws and have Mom say some prayers for Layla to be OK.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Unknown November 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

Oh! We are so sorry. We hope and pray it is nothing serious though.

Early visual problems or balance organ degeneration can sometime lead to gidiness and we are hoping it is some such thing that can be taken care of.

please do keep us updated.

licks n hugs,
Buddy n Ginger

Martha November 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

We are sorry to hear that Layla is poorly.
Hopefully it wont be anything major.
Take care xxx

Laura November 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

We are so sorry to hear about Layla - crossing all our fingers and toes that everything turns out fine!

George The Lad November 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

So sorry to here this, when are dear furiends become ill, we do to, they mean so much to us, believe me I know. Don't think the worst, thats what is making you feel scared and upset, we are thinking about you from across the pond.
Sending you Positive Vibes
Jan and George xxx

LauraK November 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

Poor girl! Sounds like we're both having kitty problems with our girls. Our 15 year old cat had to suddenly go to the vet yesterday too, and I was prepared for the worst. It's not fun dealing with stuff like this- you'll be in our thoughts, hang in there :)

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! November 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM  

We'll be sending Sibe and Human Vibes for Layla -

I know you will take good care of her!

KB November 4, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

I'm thinking of all of you. I hope that it's something more minor than the "worst case scenario". In any case, I know that you'll take great care of her.

Kirby, CGC November 4, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

Praying everything goes well at the vet with Layla. This is the time when you wish they could talk! Keep us posted as to how she is doing.

Kirby and his mom

Golden Woofs! SUGAR November 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

Woof! Woof! Sending Lots of my Golden Healing Thoughts. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

houndstooth November 4, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

I don't know if cats get it the same way dogs do, but it sounds like an attack of vestibular disease. It seems to hit dogs suddenly and then just sort of vanish. In any event, I hope that she's feeling better soon!

Sue November 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

I was thinking vestibular disease, too. I don't know if cats get it. I hope she's much better soon.
Sue

Amy / Layla the Malamute November 5, 2010 at 1:30 AM  

I'm so sorry to hear about Layla. I know what you mean about those hospitals being a heartbreaking place, but not for everyone. One of my physical therapist's German Shepherd had to have his stomach stapled after bloating and they saved his life. They probably get a lot of trauma incidents (car accidents, etc) that they resolve. The problem is, nobody ever sees the happy people leaving with their healthy pets because the panicked, crying, hysterical owners are the focal point of the waiting room.

I know that you didn't mean every single person has a horrible experience there, just wanted to try and give some positive experiences there to maybe link your thoughts to successful situations there.

I hope they're able to find out what it is and that it's minor. I don't know much about cat health, but it sounds similar to something that happened to one of my rabbits and it was a neurological issue. It did end up going into remission after a course of medication.

We'll be thinking of you and Layla. Please let us know if you need anything, even if it's just someone to vent to.

Chris and Ricky November 5, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

We're sorry about Layla and we're thinking positive and healing thoughts for her!

Diana November 5, 2010 at 7:50 AM  

OMG Sam, my heart goes out to you and Layla. They dont think it could be a compress disk in her spine? Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. Diana

Kari in Alaska November 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM  

Oh I sure hope Layla gets all better soon and its nothing too serious

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Kathy Mocharnuk November 5, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

I am SOOOOO sorry to hear about how things are going....hope it passes or is just something easy, ((HUGS)) for you and ((HUGS)) for Layla..

andrea November 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

My old man Nando had a scary episode two years ago that sounded much like Layla. He recovered well dying two years later of somethign completely different.
Fingers crossed this is a one time thing!

PoochesForPeace November 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM  

You and layla are in our thoughts. Keep us updated on what you find out :)

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP