Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Brighter than the Moon

We had a NICE little agility class last night.  Marge was on fire!

We ran two courses - in the first, our biggest problem was a threadle.  Otherwise, the courses were pretty straightforward.

Here's the second.  I ran the closing three different ways, hence the three different runs shown.  Thanks, Louie, for recording :)





(sort of ironic that I'd use a song entitled "Firework" for a video of my sound-sensitive dog... but there you go.)

I'm doing a lot more jackpotting after runs, while trying to not keep the treats in my hand as much (I'm probably about 50:50 now with that).

I'm already thinking ahead to our trials.  I looked back at videos from all of our runs this Fall, and I'm really hoping that our connectedness at class is going to keep up and carry into the trial season.

Classes with my normal instructor just ended last night until January, when we move indoors, but I really don't want to wait until then to take classes.  There are still supposed to be outdoor classes at the field on Monday nights because that class isn't finished yet due to rainouts, so I'm hoping to drop in there next week. I think that having Marge work among different people in a familiar environment would be a good thing.

I also found out about other outdoor classes in my area.  They're totally unadvertised and semi-private, but drop-ins are allowed for certain people.  When speaking with the instructor about it, I initially had the impression that I shouldn't know about it, but she seemed receptive enough and talked to me more about the format, price, etc. I'm still thinking about that one.

In terms of the Dream Park trialing discussion, I'm thinking of doing two Saturdays in February.  The first time, I will enter Jumpers only, to avoid the table, teeter, and exciting contact equipment.  The second time, I'll enter both classes, but will scratch from Standard if I'm not confident about it.

After that, we'll be just about ready for the outdoor season.  In terms of that, I'd really like to do some Friday/Sunday weekends (skipping Saturday gives us enough time so that neither of us gets burnt out, physically or mentally, yet allows us to get more days of trialing in).  I'm keeping my goals low for now - most of all, I really want connected, nice runs.  I know that once we achieve that, the Q's will come.

19 comments:

andrea December 8, 2010 at 8:04 PM  

What a great couple of days you've had - was so mice to come get such upbeat updates!! Nice work finishing the title on the golden :)

you can come up and do a jumpers run with Brody for me and let me tick that off my list :)

Marge looks great and your plan sounds like a good one
cheers

andrea

Tucker The Crestie December 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

Very nice! Looks like you guys were really in sync and having fun!

Kari in Alaska December 8, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

I think that trying some outdoor training for agility will be a good way to expand Marge's horizons :)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

KB December 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

You two looked like you were having a blast. Marge was totally with you, and you were anticipating the course really well, setting Marge up for success with your body language. I'm no expert but it looked like both of you were on fire!

Chris and Ricky December 8, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

You two are looking good! I think Marge read the rear cross in the 3rd try really well. I can't believe you are doing outside agility classes though. Isn't it cold?

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ December 8, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

Looked really good to us. Marge seemed to be enjoying what she was doing. That's important.

Wonder if she knows a hat is coming her way:)

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Frankie Furter and Ernie December 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

Hey Marge... you have done a terrific job of teaching your two legger how to be .. agile.

Amy / Layla the Malamute December 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

You guys look awesome!!

It's exciting you found unadvertised drop-ins - who's the instructor? I saw Kim Seiter is having a bunch of seminars at Morris K9 this winter, but I'm not sure if I'll do any of them.

tula monstah December 8, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

outdoor classes-- brrr!but i bet marge loves it! great job mixing it up- otherwise practice the same way can be BORR-RRING:)

good luck, you two are a great team!
dee & tula

katie, Maizey and Magnus December 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM  

It sounds like you guys are doing great and having a blast which is the most important thing! It's encouraging to see progress made since I am feeling overwhelmed with Magnus' agility foundation class. It seems like there is so much to learn and it's hard to put it all together. I loved how you said you are looking ahead to trials, I think a goal like that would really help me. Glad things are going good for you!

Sara December 9, 2010 at 6:16 AM  

I couldn't even drag myself to an indoor class this week-too cold.

I think your trialing plan sounds wonderful. You will be setting Marge up for success, which make both of you feel great!

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly December 9, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

Congrats on a great run!!

Woofs and Kisses!
The Fiesty Three

♥ Sallie December 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

Great video!

Hugs,

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart December 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

You guys look awesome. I don't think I've mentioned it, but I LOVE that header photo of Marge at the beach. I have a thing for dogs with super muscular butts. :o)

Gus, Louie and Callie December 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

Oh we love the video. Marge you are such a pro..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Wyatt December 9, 2010 at 9:16 PM  

Good job, Marge! You look happy, that is what it is all about!!

Wyatt

Kathy Mocharnuk December 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

You guys LOOK FANTASTIC!!! Good JOB! Sounds like you have a good solid plan, the outdoor classes that are semi private sound very interesting

Kirby, CGC December 10, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

You and Marge are doing awesome, and she looks like she is having so much fun!

Kirby's mom

Anonymous December 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM  

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP