Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Handwritten Note

Last week, I finally went to the store and picked out a card to send Taco's old owner.

I wrote him a short note and left my phone number, telling him that I'd love to have lunch with him and his wife and how I couldn't believe that so much time has gone by since Taco's death.

A couple of days went by and I didn't hear anything, so immediately assumed that he wasn't going to write back.  Ah well, I thought to myself, all of my links to Taco are now gone.

Today, in the mail, I did, indeed, find a tan-colored card envelope with his name on it, addressed to me.

It contained a check for $50 (which I really do not want - he has sent a check every year, but I never wanted any money for doing anything with Taco), as well as a note saying that he and his wife would love to have lunch with me.  There is something quite nice about receiving a handwritten note through the mail, in this age of technology.

I hope to set something up with them once the excitement from the holidays dies down.

I've only met him a handful of times before, usually not under the best of circumstances.  I can't even imagine how it will feel recall all of my memories with the man who, behind the scenes, enabled me to spend as much time with my beloved friend as I did.

16 comments:

Sue December 23, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

How nice that you'll get the chance to get together and remember your friend. Have a very happy Christmas.
Sue

AC December 23, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

It's so nice to get snail mail! And to have it be hand written is even better. I have a feeling that the checks maybe more as a gift to a family member than as pay for a service. They sound like special people. I'm excited that you'll be able to meet again soon!

Amy / Layla the Malamute December 23, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

That's GREAT! I'm so happy that he wrote back and that you'll get the chance to see him. It won't make you feel completely better, but I do think it'll be nice for you to speak to someone who actually knew Taco and can share memories with you. It's a nice early Christmas present!

PS ~ You've probably thought of this, but you could give the $50 to a horse rescue organization or something.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! December 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

Layla's Human is furry smart!

Seriously, we are thrilled to see that!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Kathy Mocharnuk December 23, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

You are so right a handwritten note is such a cool thing now days...and how neat to get to maybe have lunch with somoene who knew Taco too and was part of that whole time ;-).

LauraK December 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM  

Such a lovely gift he gave you- time with an amazing horse :) I'm looking forward to hearing about your meeting with them, and reminiscing old times.

katie, Maizey and Magnus December 24, 2010 at 1:03 AM  

What nice a thing to have happen. A while ago I went back and read yours and Taco's story and it was heart warming and heart breaking all at once. I am glad you have a chance to remember the good memories!

Chris and Ricky December 24, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

That's wonderful! I am so glad to hear you contacted Taco's owner and that her wrote you back! It's going to be good to see him and share your memories of Taco.

KB December 24, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

It's great that you sent your card and opened the lines of communication. I hope that the lunch turns out to be lots of fun!

Love the photo of you with Taco!

Cyndi and Stumpy December 24, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

I'm so happy to hear this! I bet they are going to be soooo happy were so happy to hear from you.

George The Lad December 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

Thanks for your comment, and promting me to come to see you, sorry I have not been over in a while with christmas etc its gets to much to keep up!!
But what a great post to re visit you on. I am pleased he is willing to see you, and you can talk things over.
Have a Great Christmas
Jan x

An English Shepherd December 24, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

Have a Great Christmas

Wizz :-)

Diana December 25, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

That is just great!!! Diana

Ruby and Penny December 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

Merry Christmas.
Enjoy your lunch.
Love Ruby & Penny

D.K. Wall December 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

What a terrific story and I hope you enjoy your lunch with him.

Anna the GSD December 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM  

Yay! I'm glad that you guys will be able to get together. Never underestimate the power of a kindly written word!!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP