Sunday, October 17, 2010

Brag and Beach

***I still don't have a functional internet connection.  A Verizon technician came to our house on Thursday, tampered with every possible piece of physical equipment from our house to the telephone pole to the office (which, ironically, is less than 10,000 feet from my house - a relatively tiny distance), and we still have issues.  Now, they're going to try working on some other piece of equipment, but that's not going to happen until Monday.  Really, switching to Cable or FIOS and getting rid of DSL would be just about the greatest thing ever, but it doesn't look like that's happening yet.

As such, it's taking me an abnormally and irritatingly long amount of time to read blogs.  I was able to get on to a few today, and was thrilled to actually see photos and read stories for the first time in what feels like ages.  Hang in there with me a little longer - it's the slow connection that's keeping me away from blogging.***

----------------------

I have to take this time out to make a bit of a personal brag.  Do you remember when I posted about my Behavioral Laboratory class, in which I'd be working with pigeons?  Well, the whole thing is going smashingly well.  I've taken one test and handed in one lab report, and received top marks on both.  I absolutely adore the class, so much so that I actually look forward to sitting in a classroom for 3+ hours either listening to lectures or watching my pigeon's behavior in the operant chamber.  I have NEVER felt this way about a class before, so it's really pretty freakin' awesome.

In addition to that, I seem to be doing a good job of making myself look like an interested, smart, and motivated student - which I am! I approached my professor to ask him about something in my lab report, and, after answering my question, told me that I "stand out as a very good student," and said that perhaps he could "set me up working in the lab."

!!!!!!!!!

I have made it VERY clear to those I'm friends with that this is the guy I want to do my Senior Honors thesis with.  This is my favorite subject, by far! I haven't asked him about it yet because I wanted to make myself look good through my extreme motivation to do well in this class.  It seems to be paying off.  

Although things are not even close to being set in stone, I am absolutely THRILLED.  If we're talking behavior, here, it's safe to say that my professor delivered a huge positive reinforcer for my work through those comments!

Hopefully, I'll continue to do exceptional work in the class and get a position in the lab in either the spring or next fall.

Of course, I have to thank my #1 girl, Marge, for this success.  She is the only reason that I walked in to this course already knowing so much about classical and operant conditioning.  She is also one of the main reasons that I have so much interest in it.  If there is a bright side to working through a dog's behavior issues (aside from getting a more relaxed, well-trained, and bonded pet), this is it.. Marge's influence on me extends far beyond the reaches of the agility ring or training club.  This is real life.  She's helping me through it, just as I hope I've been helping her through her own life.  One hand (er, paw) washes the other!

On another note, here are some shots from down at the beach this evening.  The weather, the lighting, EVERYTHING was absolutely divine.




21 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! October 17, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

Save for the Internet issues, what AWESOME news!

Congrats to you

AND to Marge as well

Great pics too!

Kathy Mocharnuk October 17, 2010 at 12:38 AM  

THAT IS SO FANTASTIC TO HEAR, you just seem like you would be so prefect for a class like that, so not suprised you are excelling, but you have to feel soooo happy about how you are doing-especially because we all know it is not luck...you have a fantastic amount of knowledge and I bet you have been working really hard-add to that the fact you just seem such a natural.....a real winning combination.
My internet is being a real pain in the butt too....it pops on and off every few seconds, boy it is hard to read anything or comment because I think half my comments are not going through, ughghghghgh, I am truly in sympathy for your plight with the internet, hope it gets cleared up soon!

houndstooth October 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM  

Marge looks great and your class sounds really exciting! I hope it goes well and you get to do your senior thesis with him. It's great to have a study of something that really fascinates you!

Amy / Layla the Malamute October 17, 2010 at 2:04 AM  

That's fantastic!!! I hope everything continues as smoothly as it is now, but it looks really good. That'd be awesome if you could work in the lab and also have him do your thesis with you.

The course sounds so fun. Especially since it's applicable to dog training, which is applicable to real life. Life teaches you about the training and the training teaches you about life. Very cool stuff.

It's so nice when professors care about which students are learning and paying attention and really want to be there. Some professors care less than the students, and it's frustrating when it's a course you genuinely care about.

And it's also nice when the long classes are the ones that you enjoy the most!

Dexter October 17, 2010 at 5:51 AM  

DSL? You poor thing.

That school sounds perfect. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get the thesis advisor of your choice.

Mango Momma

Sara October 17, 2010 at 7:04 AM  

That's great Sam! Classes are always more motivating when it is something you're interesting in. Obviously, the professor can sense your interest in the subject area.

Frankie Furter and Ernie October 17, 2010 at 8:09 AM  

Sorry about the internet thingy. Hope that is fixed up speedy quick.
I also hope that you get the Prof. of choice for your thesis. That would be grrrreat.

Never Say Never Greyhounds October 17, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

Very good brag! Glad class is going so well!

George The Lad October 17, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

Hi Marge, Thanks for the update on your class and mr pigeon, gald its going so well, even thou your internets not!
See Yea George xxx

andrea October 17, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

FABULOUS :)

you rock

I so hear you about being grateful to Marge too - we learn so much as we teach ... it's truly amazing

the sun in those beach photos is awesome - looks like a lovely time

Kari in Alaska October 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM  

Congrats on finding our nitch at school. It took me a while before I found a prof and class that I adored.


Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

PoochesForPeace October 17, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Nice pics :)
I like hearing about your schooling because it reminds me of when I was studying psych! I decided to go for social work for my master's because of all the different jobs you can get, but really im a psych fanatic at heart! I did a senior thesis too- it's a lot of work but sooo worth it!!! I did mine on attachment. Good Luck and congrats on your progress so far!

Sue October 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

Wow, what a positive post. Glad everything (except the cable connection) is going so well for you.

Two French Bulldogs October 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

Great news!! BUTT nothng worse than computer problems
Benny & Lily

KB October 17, 2010 at 5:11 PM  

What a cool course. But the most awesome part is that you've found something that you're totally passionate about.

I can understand the internet frustrations. I couldn't even load blogs this morning to read them...

Gus, Louie and Callie October 17, 2010 at 6:06 PM  

Way to go Mom. You are doing so well. We are all so proud of you...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Lorenza October 17, 2010 at 6:14 PM  

Congratulations, Sam!
I know you are enjoying a lot your class!
We know about sloooow internet connections!
I hope they fix yours soon!
Happy Sunday!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Muttsandaklutz October 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

Oh wow!!! Huge congrats on all of your scholarly successes! So wonderful that you've found a course that really draws on your passion. You must have been on cloud nine when you received those compliments. Way to go :)

Anna the GSD October 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Way to go with your schools!!!

The beach photos are so pretty! Lookin' good Marge, and I LOVE your collars!

Golden Samantha October 20, 2010 at 8:21 PM  

Holy Moly Sam! That is so exciting and I am so totally thrilled for you! Your writing breathes exhilaration and sends chills through my spine! Great good going as well as giving so many kudos to dear Marge! Keep on keepin' on!
Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie, Avalon and mostly Mom

AC October 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

Sam, that's so exciting! To have something you love and be able to pursue it is such a cool thing. I hope that lab position comes your way!

Love the beach pictures.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP