Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Onward and Upward

After what feels like weeks of sitting in my bathroom, scrounging up whatever bits of open wireless connection I could from other people in my neighborhood (yes, it's true), we're finally back online.  I'm still not hopeful that the problem is fixed for good, but maybe it is.  All I know is that it's working right now, and I intend to take full advantage of it!


On Sunday, Louie, my sister, Marge and I took a truly awesome hike in the autumn woods.  We were out there a good while, and covered somewhere from 3 to 4 miles.  I'd like to squeeze another in before our trial on Saturday, but I don't think I'll be able to (the beach might be an option, though).

As we started on what is arguably the most scenic trail in all of the woods, we stopped off at the big lake to let the beauty sink in. 

 
Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.  And, to make things even better, we found a brand new spot along the lake for Marge to wade.  The drop off is extremely gradual, so she can walk around in the shallow water.  It'll be an exciting place to take her in the Spring and Summer!

She developed a reddish, bumpy rash on her inner thighs after we arrived home, but I don't think it was from this water - she's gotten this rash periodically, and I think it might be from the smaller ponds we stopped at.  We'll try to stick to wading in the larger bodies of water, like this one.


We then walked a short distance down the trail to the next body of water, a pond, where the colors were as vibrant as can be.

(click HERE to see the same place in July!)

We walked on for at least a mile, surrounded by trees.  For some reason, I really felt the pain in my calves as we climbed.  I hope that with repeated trips, the pain will cease.  At least the trip down wasn't so bad!


We wandered off trail a bit, too (which is a huge act of courage by me!).  We found this little pond.  It was murky (no wading for Marge here) and not exactly picturesque, but the idea of being secluded in the forest was enchanting.


Our ascent was finally complete, and we peered out towards the ocean and New Jersey.  It was Louie's first trip on this trail with me, and I think he enjoyed it - it's wonderfully scenic.


We continued onward a bit more, but a group of young children were making their way up the trail, and their screams bothered Marge (and me).  So, we headed back down the way we came, our calves sore, our adventurousness quenched.  We'll be back for more soon.

(I have a million things to talk about, since I've blogged a grand total of five times so far in the month of October.  Look out for a pre-trial post on Friday, and then a trial recap on Sunday).

14 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! October 20, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

What awesome pics!

Marge and Autumn are perfect together -

Oh wait, that's NJ and you!

Fingers crossed the internet stays working!

KB October 20, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

So that's why my internet connection has been so slow - *you* have been scrounging it from a thousand miles away :)

I love the photo of Marge with the lake and autumn trees behind her. It's a classic that you should hang onto!

K gets rashes from lakes that are even vaguely murky. If she sneaks into one, we try to rinse her with tap water right away. If the rash actually gets started, we are supposed to shampoo her in palmolive dish soap (I'm not kidding), and we give her benadryl (but definitely ask your vet before doing that). I hope that Marge doesn't get as sensitive to murky lakes as K is! I've given up on letting her swim in anything but crystal clear high mountain lakes.

Keep enjoying your fall. It looks gorgeous!

Just one more thing, it's kind of funny visualizing you at your computer in your bathroom!

houndstooth October 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM  

It looks like a beautiful hike! I am hoping we get out to do more soon, too. I hope we never have anybody allergic to pond water, but we aren't going to press our luck, either!

Hopefully your internet gets more cooperative! I hate when it's not working!

Sam October 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM  

KB, I apologize. I was desperate. :) Originally I was in my backyard, but it was too cold - so, if I needed to check an e-mail or something, I simply went in to the bathroom with my computer, where the wireless connection was strongest.

Suffice to say, I'm glad to be back on my couch!

Kathy Mocharnuk October 21, 2010 at 1:43 AM  

BEAUTIFUL! Glad you are back on line-WELCOME back, good to see ya! Weird about that rash!

Diana October 21, 2010 at 6:10 AM  

Beautiful pictures. I love hiking. Its so calming. Diana

Chris and Ricky October 21, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

Hope your internet problems are a thing of the past! What a pain!

Love the fall photos from your hike! Such a beautiful place!

Good luck this weekend!

Frankie Furter and Ernie October 21, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

I am really glad that you have the internets back. I have missed you Marge.
That is a wonderful hike you took. The colors were so beautiful.

Anna the GSD October 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM  

Great photos! We would have run from the screaming kids too...kinda ruins that whole "wonder of nature" thing!

And a new swimmin' hole is always a great find!!!

LauraK October 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM  

Gorgeous pictures, I've been looking forward to the fall pictures from all of you who live back East. Glad I'm not the only one that's been missing from the blogging world :) Glad you're back more regularly now!

Kirby, CGC October 21, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

What beautiful pictures, especially the silhoutte one of Marge by the trees! I just love fall!

Good luck with Marge this weekend!

Kirby's Mom

Amy / Layla the Malamute October 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

Beautiful pictures! I especially love the comparison between now and July, and the view from the top.

I don't blame you about the kids screams - they go right through me.

Can't wait to read about the pre-trial (and post-trial) posts! Is this the one in Willingboro on Halloween weekend? A good amount of people from class are going there. I'm DYING to get to a trial again.

Sue October 23, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

It looks beautiful. What a nice place for a dog to walk and sniff.

Kari in Alaska October 27, 2010 at 9:33 PM  

that is a beautiful hike. Glad it looks like you have a steady connection again!


Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP