Friday, October 2, 2009

Cratework Commences

Marge's big 42"crate arrived at my grandmother's house, so after a short detour in Buddy's yard (she was quite happy to see him) we went to go pick it up.

It didn't take long for her to start investigating it, and only a few clicks and treats later, she was able to lay down in it.

It is on the large side and is quite tall (37 inches - that's three feet!) so I considered returning it and buying a smaller one, but length and width wise it works out well for her. She cuddled up in it and took an hour-long nap last night, which really made me decide that I should stick with it since she likes it so much.

She doesn't like when I zip up the front door, so I'm letting her lay in it for now with the door either rolled up or hanging down unzipped. I don't think she'll like being in it when no one's in the room with her, but that will most likely not be its main use (I really bought it for agility trials) and I'll have plenty of time to work on it with her.

I'm going to feed her in it later with the door closed and see how she does.

11 comments:

Cinnamon and Mint October 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Hi Marge,

Your new soft crate looks very spacious!! I think it's much better than being too small. Cinnamon doesn't like to be left in a crate with its zip closed when no one is in the room either.

Golden Samantha October 2, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

Good job on first try! Sammie is not crate-trained and with all her abandonment issues (that she came with, unfortunately), she absolutely freaks around soft or hard crates. I'm at wits end with it, but we do the best we can. But GREAT job! You GO Marge!
xo Sammie and mom

Deborah October 2, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

Hi again! Thanks for visiting my blog and following! Have a nice weekend!! Thanks!!!

Dexter October 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

IS that a portable crate? Momma wants to get one for me. It looks comfy.

Kisses,
Dexter

KB October 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM  

That's great that Marge liked the crate so quickly. Crates can spook adult dogs not accustomed to them. Even my dog, crate-trained from puppyhood, gets spooked by one particular crate. So, you're doing great!!!

The Army of Four October 2, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

It looks like a cool pup tent! Pretend you're camping, Marge!
Play bows,
Zim

BRUTUS October 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

That's great! I wish I could start the whole crate training thing all over again! Brutus tolerates it at home, but has a temper tantrum if I try to use one away from home (like at agility trials). Separation anxiety is an ugly thing!! Maybe I'll send Brutus to you for some training....

Michelle

Kathy Mocharnuk October 2, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

Do you know anyone who has the Susan Garrett Crate Games dvd, it really is awesome for crate training and making the crate the happiest place on earth ;-). Maybe someone would let you borrow it for a few days?

Bijou October 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

That is one ginormous tent! I think me and Banjo could play tag in that thing! BOL

Wags & wiggles,
Bijou

Carolyn October 5, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

That's a great crate! I wish I had purchased one like that for Cooper. Instead I bot a collapsible metal one. Boo! It's a pain to set up! :)

Are you starting crate games? Cooper loved them!

Sue October 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

I like large crates so they can stretch out or move around. She looks like she's enjoying it.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP