Thursday, October 1, 2009

Overcast, Having a Blast

It really is a nasty day in New York.  The sun is nowhere to be found, and the clouds are hanging low overhead, almost ominously.  The air is dry and frigid, and the general lack of warmth is compounded by a breeze that'd make you think it's winter.


No better day for a walk than this one.

I had planned all day to take Marge to the beach, as Tuesday's agility class woke me up to the realization that the weather is finally starting to cool and Marge is going to be in need of much more exercise.  Since it was so quiet out, I decided to take the short walk to the beach rather than drive my car there.

(We did almost have an encounter with an off-leash yellow lab, but thankfully the lab was far enough away from us that he never got too close and actually seemed to be under decent control for a change.)


She frolicked on the beach for a while, stopping to sniff every rock only to take off in a casual lope towards the next one almost instantly.  


The crashing of the waves mutes the sounds of the surrounding city, so there is nothing for Marge to worry about while she's walking on the sand.


She recalled beautifully before this shot.  She was off sniffing, and I called her, and once she realized what I had said, it registered with her that moving towards me would be in her best interest because she would be rewarded cookies.


Before we left, I played her favorite game with her where I throw pieces of treat and she has to chase them to get them. She went down into many play bows in anticipation of the food coming her way.
We had a nice adventure.  It was one of the longest walks we've been on in a while that wasn't behavior-modification intensive.  It's so nice just to stroll with my dog, with almost no care in the world about anything else.

13 comments:

The Army of Four October 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Ahh.... windy and cold! That sounds ideal!
Marge, that is the cutest play bow! You make me want to bow right back!
I'd love to walk on the beach with you. I can win anyone over - even dogs who are very fearful of dogs! - so I know we'd get on just fine. If you ever walk the beach at the Kansas Ocean, by my house, give me a howl!
Play bows,
Zim

KB October 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Marge is beautiful! I do see the body shape resemblance to my K that you mentioned in a comment.

The play bow photo is priceless!

I agree - simply strolling with your dog is one of the best things in the world.

NCmountainwoman October 1, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Indeed there are few things more relaxing and satisfying than a day at the beach with your favorite canine. You really know how to make the best of an otherwise miserable day.

Audrey the Photographer Dog October 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Such pretty photos from a less than pretty day. Looks like you had such a nice time. It is really getting chilly fast!

Dexter October 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

So relaxing to find a spot where you can just enjoy each other's company. You look very happy.

Slobbers,
Mango

Shadowsky October 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

Looks like a good outing. I'm glad you and Marge were able to have fun and relax.

Kari in Alaska October 2, 2009 at 12:44 AM  

seems like a perfect day at the beach to me. Im sure my girls out love it to be overcast and not sunny for a day!

Martha October 2, 2009 at 4:56 AM  

How great that you can walk to the beach!
Lovely pics - looks like a great day out - as you say best make the best of the weather before the winter sets in!!!
love
Martha & Bailey xxxxx

Deborah October 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

I'm jealous! I would love to go the beach with my dogs! Does Marge go in the ocean? Marge is beautiful!

Kathy Mocharnuk October 2, 2009 at 11:47 PM  

even the pictures look so peaceful, I love the beach with the dogs, like you said it is just so peaceful and just seems so easy to connect with the dogs in such a peaceful place-just looking at Marge reminds me how nice it feels ;-).

Anna the GSD October 4, 2009 at 12:14 AM  

The beach rocks! And your play bows are sure to get you anything you want, you look so adorable Marge!

PoochesForPeace October 4, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

Love all the pictures !

Carolyn October 5, 2009 at 1:00 AM  

What a lovely time of year to enjoy the beach!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP