Saturday, June 27, 2009

Serenity

Observe the canis fearfulus margus in its natural habitat; the woods.  


We went on a mini-hike in High Rock Park today.  With no one around (for the most part), I worried less about people coming up to us or dogs shouting rude comments in our direction and more about relaxing and exploring.  We did chat with some people (two of which being my friends, who Marge warmed up to very quickly - she's met them before) so Marge got to exercise her TOUCH abilities in order to get treats.

We met up with this little guy on one of the trails.  I don't know if he's indigenous or not - maybe someone dumped him? - but it was a nice deviation from the usual squirrel, sparrow and occasional chipmunk or rabbit we see. 

Marge stretched her neck realllly far to get a sniff, but wouldn't get too close in case the living rock decided to pop up and eat her.  I moved him off the path afterwards so he'd be safe from the feet of other passers-by.

We didn't wander too far in; I was too lazy to acclimate myself with all of the trails and trail symbols, and although it's virtually impossible to get lost in Staten Island, it was hot and the woods were thick, buggy and muddy at some points, so we weren't taking any chances.

We did wander up to Lake Ohrbach.  Although it's beautiful and pristine, there wasn't much we could do there except watch the fish go by.  Marge got her feet wet, but the lake drops off more quickly than the other bodies of water she's been in, so she wasn't too thrilled about or confident with it.  I bet it's beautiful there in the fall and winter, so my sister and I agreed that we'll go back during the later months of the year, at least.  (We also agreed that we'll bribe my boyfriend into coming along - I think I'll feel more confident in the woods with him.)

-----

I must admit that I've been pretty upset about the anxiety I'm seeing in Marge.  The thing is, I don't know if it was always there, or if it's truly beginning to manifest itself now.  She's not terrible, by any means; sleeps through the night fine by herself, isn't in much of a hurry to come greet me in the morning, and is perfectly content slurping on a Kong no matter who is (or isn't) around.

Yet, she is literally following me from room to room.  She's not on top of me - she doesn't need to be on top of me - but the second I get up, she follows.  My mind won't let me remember if this has always happened or if it's worse now. I've tried walking from room to room, trying to break the cycle, and it does work to some extent because she gets bored with it, but I'm afraid I'll only induce more anxiety this way.  I'm really not sure what I'm doing, what I should be doing or if it even warrants any doing.. and I'm scared.

On a different, but similar note, my vet is prescribing medication to have on hand for the upcoming Independence Day.  I didn't really want to do it and instead tried to ask about other solutions, but he insisted that this was the way to go. I don't know what it is, and I'm going to be reading up on it more before making the decision whether or not to use it, but I'm told by him that it's "very safe," relatively inexpensive and should take the edge off when the fireworks fire.

Still planning on going to the Health Food Store and at least inquiring about the Bach Remedies, but my wallet has recently taken a bruising so I can't say I'm in a complete rush.  Also planning on Control Unleashed, but haven't put in my order through Amazon yet for the same reason.  Flea/Tick prevention and dog food had to take the priority, obviously.  Oh, and I guess I prioritized the Yoghund Marge ate today pretty high, too.. but it was only $2, a negligible amount.  And my sister paid for it.

-----

Tomorrow's Marge's birthday, and the day after tomorrow is her Gotcha! Day.  If anyone else plans on sending something in for our blog collection on Monday, please do so soon.  We have a good bunch of entrants with lots of heartwarming pictures and beautiful stories.  It's totally noncommittal - no passing along to anyone else, having to answer questions or post something on your blog.  It is a one-time, no strings attached, tribute to our dogs.  I thought it was a nice, simple idea.

BTW, sorry I haven't blog-hopped much.  I will get to everyone's blogs as soon as I can.  Hope you're all  having fun and enjoying the weekend.

6 comments:

Sue June 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM  

Eight of my ten dogs, all the PWDs follow me from room to room and get up whenever I move. It's like this little mob of dogs that just move everywhere with me.

I used to drug Monty on Independence Day and keep him in the den in the basement with the blinds closed and the TV on loud.

Shadowsky June 28, 2009 at 12:11 AM  

Jake follows me from room to room as well. Is this new for Marge, or something she's always done?

Control Unleashed is excellent. I haven't bought my own copy(it's on my to-buy list...) but I was able to read my friend's and it has some good information.

Oh, and Happy B-day and Gotcha Day to Marge, in advance! That's cool that they're so close together... Jake's estimated b-day and Gotcha Day are nearly six months apart.

Anonymous June 28, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

I love the cute caption with your first picture...

I wish I could offer some words of comfort, or even be able to suggest something to help.

Donatello is a pretty fearful dog; The first day I brought him home, he followed me around happily, but he hasn't done it since... He knows when I'm going to bed and he'll follow me then; If I'm moving my furniture and my belongings to a different room, he'll follow and watch curiously... But nothing like Marge.

I sure hope it gets better, and isn't a sign of something bothersome...

Good luck! (HAPPY B-DAY and GOTCHA'-DAY to Marge!)

Astrid Keel June 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

I wish we could give you some words of wisdom, but though momster is 300000 years old, she isn't so wise. I hope you find a solution.

We loved the pics of the living rock!

StellaStar June 28, 2009 at 9:38 PM  

I don't know much about doggy behavior, but I do know that Rufus likes to follow me wherever I go...he's not a very anxious dog. I think they just like our company. I don't know if this is the case with Marge or not, but good luck!

Happy B-Day/Gotcha Day, Marge!! (BTW, where did her name come from?)

PoochesForPeace June 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

That turle looks like my painted turtle. Good luck with Marge :) My neighbors are setting off fireworks right now and the dogs are less than thrilled about it...

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP