Friday, June 12, 2009

Who Rules This Roost?

Since this is a dog blog, I don't talk much about my cat, Layla, who has been around here for over 10 years.  


When Marge first came here, it was Layla's decision, ultimately, if Marge was to stay.  If bringing a dog into a house with a cat who had been here for a decade alone was too much, I would have respected that.  She also has allergies, so that was a very large consideration as well.

I'm not really sure why she decided to let Marge stay.  The whole first day Marge was here, she was astonishingly comfortable with her presence.  She did tend to stay high up on furniture, but that wasn't bizarre behavior for her, anyway.

As months go by, the relationship between cat and dog has grown.  Marge always wants to play with Layla, but usually gets greeted by pinned ears, angry eyes and a swatting paw.  Honestly, it doesn't scare Marge away very well.. I've caught her going down into play bows around Layla on multiple occasions.

The thing I'm most happy about is that Marge and Layla can both cuddle up with me on the couch.  In the beginning, Layla wouldn't come sit on me if Marge was laying next to me.  Now, I can fall asleep on the couch at 12 AM (like I so often do) and wake up to fur all over the place.  I wouldn't want it any other way!

7 comments:

Sue June 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

It's nice that they each have a friend. I had a dog and cat that grew up together and were best buddies. The cat probably thought he was a dog.

PoochesForPeace June 12, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

That's great! It's always nice to see that.

NCmountainwoman June 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM  

What's a little fur among friends? Glad everyone gets along. We had a friend who lost one of their old dogs. The other dog was so miserable they got him a kitten. Took him right out of his funk and they are best friends.

Martha June 13, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

Cats and dogs can become the best of friends - although the cat is always the boss!
Sounds like your Layla will make that perfectly clear!
Have a great weekend.
love
Martha & Bailey xxxx

Rufus and Indie June 13, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

It's great to see they are so close and happy together!!!
I wish I could have one cat! :(
Lots of kisses
Rufus and Indie

Golden Samantha June 14, 2009 at 12:08 AM  

I can relate - I came a year after our housemate, Ozzie came and we've "worked" things out - sort of hehe! There was fur in the beginning, but now we play games and Ozzie actually likes to tempt me to play. I get it. It's great when it works out!
Hugs and xo
Sammie

StellaStar June 16, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

Layla has beautiful eyes! Sadly, I'm highly allergic to kitties, or I would have one of my own.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP